X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• kbartman
    replied
    Re: My 40" Inch pizza oven in Florida

I'm back from vacation, ready to make some progress and move forward. I will be ordering materials for the thermal break soon: Ceramic rope and sealant. I plan on having a 1/2" horizontal and a 1/4" vertical thermal break gap. I plan to use 1/2" and 3/4" rope in these gaps and fill the 1/4" gap with the sealant inside the smoke chamber/chimney. I think the below mentioned materials will work and the price is reasonable............ Any thoughts or suggestions is appreciated.

Ceramic rope
    Sealant

Leave a comment:

• stonecutter
    replied

Originally posted by kbartman View Post

I would like to build a all brick chimney but I don?t think that is a option at this point. I may be thinking wrong about needing to reinforce the corners of the chimney with rebar tied into the rebar and structure below.
    No, you don't need rebar in a chimney especially on corners....that is the strongest part of masonry structures, and without being encapsulated in concrete, rebar running up the corners will do nothing structurally.

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    KB,
    I sincerely hope that the rebar isn't necessary for a brick chimney. I wouldn't think so, given the relatively short height that they need to be for an oven to draw. They have a fairly large footprint where they sit on the structural hearth.
    Correct. For example, just look at some of those huge furnace chimneys or ones that stand in place after a home has burned or crumbled around it.... No bracing, used.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Gulf,
    I would like to build a all brick chimney but I don?t think that is a option at this point. I may be thinking wrong about needing to reinforce the corners of the chimney with rebar tied into the rebar and structure below.

I really liked the idea of notching the bricks for the thermal break and the extra space of the vent area. I may be thinking wrong but, my thoughts are any grilling over coals would best be done in the vent area and not inside the oven.

I don?t think the 8x8 liner would help me much, but considering my options. I will going out of town the next two weeks and won?t have much time to work on the oven this weekend. So I will have plenty of time to consider all my options??.. Looking for suggestions and or comments. Thanks in advance.
    KB,
    I sincerely hope that the rebar isn't necessary for a brick chimney. I wouldn't think so, given the relatively short height that they need to be for an oven to draw. They have a fairly large footprint where they sit on the structural hearth. If one is being built high enough to extend through a structure then the structure is used for lateral bracing.

By the time that I was capping my chimney, I had came across a couple of sections of 8" double walled SS flu and the cap/spark arrestor. Had I of found this earlier, I am sure that I would have taken a different route.

Not knowing how my oven would draw at the chimney's present height, I left my self an option for using the SS to extend the chimney. If I were to have extended the chimney, I wanted it to have the same look. (The option won't be necessary though, my oven draws fine.)

I would have removed the top bricks and have inserted a the inner section of the pipe into the SS collar. I would have continued with the 2" face brick and poured vcrete in the void.

I'm not reccommending building brick chimneys for use as flus on WFOs. It is just what I did. If I were to reccomend a flu, it would be factory built double or triple wall SS pipe, anchorplate, and spark arrestor. They look a heck of a lot easier to me

Some times it is good to step back from any large project and take a breather to weigh out the options. I'm looking forward to watching your progress.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    Theres nothing like a good fluster......
    Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
    Come on Al, stop it! You're going to have him, SWOONING if you don't!
    A good thing about building the WFO is, it is a learning experience. Learning from your mistakes and others is part of the journey........... Thanks Laurentius for coming to my defense and teaching me something, although as the WFO apprentice here on the job. I deserve the abuse But I can also dish it out.

Swooning, I had to look that one up; I'm still wet behind the ears:

1.(dated) to faint, to lose consciousness
    2.to be overwhelmed by emotion (especially infatuation)

Being flustered and confused most of the time is the norm for me, swooning has never occurred, in the end I always somehow figured it out.

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
    Sorry for the "bummer" KB,
    I can't relate to all of your issues, but an 8" X 8" liner may be your only option. I had assumed from your previous posts that you were going to build an all brick chimney. Similar to what I did.
    Gulf,
    I would like to build a all brick chimney but I don’t think that is a option at this point. I may be thinking wrong about needing to reinforce the corners of the chimney with rebar tied into the rebar and structure below.

I may have misled you on this post:

My dome is almost complete.........pondering the chimney and vent.........will have a thermal break and chimney modeled after the Mississippi Queen….. Need all the help I can get………
    I really liked your idea of notching the bricks for the thermal break and the extra space of the vent area. I may be thinking wrong but, my thoughts are any grilling over coals would best be done in the vent area and not inside the oven.

I don’t think the 8x8 liner would help me much, but considering my options. I will going out of town the next two weeks and won’t have much time to work on the oven this weekend. So I will have plenty of time to consider all my options…….. Looking for suggestions and or comments. Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by kbartman; 07-04-2013, 03:46 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Laurentius
    replied

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    Come on Al, stop it! You're going to have him, SWOONING if you don't!

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

I flustered at this point.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Look like the consensus is the offset is a weak point and needs redesigning.

My Original plan was a clay brick chimney surrounding the 18" x 9" clay flue with 1/2" air gap. I got scared about the total weight of the chimney and opted for plan B. Plan B using the clay flue wrapped in FB blanket surrounded with 2x4 steel stud and a Hardie board stucco finish. I feel I'm now stuck with plan B cause I did not extend any rebar out of the hearth to go into the brick's web to be filled with mortar as I went up on the corners.

With the addition of the heat break I did not perceive all the consequences and how much it would put the flue forward. The flue forward the additional two inches pushes the chimney face forward taking away from my limited counter space and increases the reach into the oven, The idea of the offset looked good. Also I need to mention that increasing the reveal raised the overall structure of the outer arch to chimney transition and the throws my original concept drawing out of proportion. I flustered at this point.

Looks like total redesign of my concept.....bummer!

Sorry for the "bummer" KB,
    I can't relate to all of your issues, but an 8" X 8" liner may be your only option. I had assumed from your previous posts that you were going to build an all brick chimney. Similar to what I did. That being 2" of brick liner surrounded by 2" of face brick with a 2" void packed with 10 to 1 Vcrete.

The weight of the liner can be placed on your arch. The weight of the face brick should be transferred to you hearth. The extra reach through the entry to your oven can't be avoided. But, that is also an extra reveal. Giving more flare.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Look like the consensus is the offset is a weak point and needs redesigning.

My Original plan was a clay brick chimney surrounding the 18" x 9" clay flue with 1/2" air gap. I got scared about the total weight of the chimney and opted for plan B. Plan B using the clay flue wrapped in FB blanket surrounded with 2x4 steel stud and a Hardie board stucco finish. I feel I'm now stuck with plan B cause I did not extend any rebar out of the hearth to go into the brick's web to be filled with mortar as I went up on the corners.

With the addition of the heat break I did not perceive all the consequences and how much it would put the flue forward. The flue forward the additional two inches pushes the chimney face forward taking away from my limited counter space and increases the reach into the oven, The idea of the offset looked good. Also I need to mention that increasing the reveal raised the overall structure of the outer arch to chimney transition and the throws my original concept drawing out of proportion. I flustered at this point.

Looks like total redesign of my concept.....bummer!

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

what you all think?
    I think they will crack at the weakest point as pointed out by Gulf.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

KB, it looks great, I think. I'm probably still missing something. From your drawing it looked to me like you were going to have a full 9" brick entry. From the pic , it looks like you will have a brick and a half entry (13.5") A brick and a half should be plenty of room to fit your flu in the center without offsetting (at least this much). It may help if you explain "4" of chimney wrap around flu"

If you can slide the vent forward off of (what I call natural fault lines) the better off you will be.
    Just Sayin', 'cause, I'm probably missing something

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by K79 View Post
    Hey those look pretty good to me.
    Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    I'd use the next brick course to get an offset. Seems like that would make it easier to get the mortar right.
    Good thought I will consider It might be just what I need

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

I'd use the next brick course to get an offset. Seems like that would make it easier to get the mortar right.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by K79 View Post
    I wish I had CAD....and the pizza coming out your oven

Ok guys, hope this gives you a little better idea of what I am trying to accomplish. The vent offset looked better on paper, what you all think?

Leave a comment:

• K79
    replied

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Wow!!!
    Very impressived a flared entry at rocket speed. Congratulations on closing the dome ......Where is your ritualistic pictures? Must post your head in the oven I?m told.
    Originally posted by jbruning View Post
    Photos of the vent/entry construction.

Colin, check out jbruning's thread, done a flared entry.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X