Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 42" build in Central Texas

Originally posted by GarnerAC View Post
    Les, 3' is all Im planning to do. I can always add but it might look odd at 5'
    I missed the picture showing the pipe - you will be golden. Great looking build by the way.
    Check out my pictures here:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
      Just for the heck of it, try preheating your flu. No more work involved, it only takes a few seconds, and it don't cost nuthin' .
      How do I do this Gulf?
      My build documentary page:
      https://picasaweb.google.com/1011587...iredOvenBuild#

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

Poured the Hearth (with 3 bags of Maximizer) that a slice of Granite will go onto. Granite around here is 3cm (1-1/16) so I left 1-1/4 to the floor level for thinset and I want a slight slope on it.
        Im a little concerned about water compromising my Ceramic Fiber Board under my landing. Any thoughts?
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20130930_182726.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	845.8 KB
ID:	297658

Here is what is below the floor bricks that I dont want to get wet. I did put plastic down between it and the concrete today but rain water will be able to go between the Granite and Landing/Floor unless it is sealed with Caulk but even then 5-10 years down the road, you know what most Caulk/Silicone's look like

Name:	4inches insulation.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	986.9 KB
ID:	297659

I had a consistent 300 degree dome all day today. I let her die out and just blocked the opening with leftover bricks. 2 hairline cracks were noticed but very thin. One wrapped around about 2/3 the way around. Very thin.
        Last edited by GarnerAC; 09-30-2013, 06:33 PM.

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

Are you going with an igloo or a house? Easy to put a cover over the counter with a house. I had the same design here in Seattle with no problems, but my eaves stick out 18". An igloo is a different problem when it comes to sealing up around the base.

and to preheat your flue - just put the fire in the entryway for about 5 minutes, then push it back into the dome.
          Last edited by deejayoh; 09-30-2013, 11:10 PM.
          My build progress
          My WFO Journal on Facebook
          My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
            Are you going with an igloo or a house? Easy to put a cover over the counter with a house. I had the same design here in Seattle with no problems, but my eaves stick out 18". An igloo is a different problem when it comes to sealing up around the base.

and to preheat your flue - just put the fire in the entryway for about 5 minutes, then push it back into the dome.
            Gotcha, Yeah its going to be a structure built around it. I can't wrap my brain around an igloo out in the exposed weather not leaking at some point. Im fashioning mine very similar to Boylanta's build with a few changes. Not sure I can do 18" but will explore a deeper overhang for sure.

Comment

That is a cool, machu picchuish chimney base.

Since you already poured the landing and can't flash the insulation, I have a suggestion for a cleaner looking joint.

After you caulk, use stainless steel channel to cover the joint. It's more durable and it will protect the joint.
              Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
              John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                That is a cool, machu picchuish chimney base.

Since you already poured the landing and can't flash the insulation, I have a suggestion for a cleaner looking joint.

After you caulk, use stainless steel channel to cover the joint. It's more durable and it will protect the joint.
                You noticed! Wonder if the Incas used Makita or Dewalt angle grinders?
                Are you talking about a "U" shaped SS channel? open up or down. I "flashed" it to a degree with the thickest black plastic I could get, but I know its not the proper way of flashing mainly it was so that my crete had no contact with the CFB.
                Id like to explore the SS idea more

Name:	20131001_091651.jpg
Size:	1,014.9 KB
ID:	297682

Name:	20131001_091712.jpg
Size:	964.3 KB
ID:	297683

Name:	20131001_091727.jpg
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	297684

Comment

You noticed! Wonder if the Incas used Makita or Dewalt angle grinders?
                  If they did, I'm sure it would have been Makita.
                  Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Are you talking about a "U" shaped SS channel? open up or down. I "flashed" it to a degree with the thickest black plastic I could get, but I know its not the proper way of flashing mainly it was so that my crete had no contact with the CFB.
                    Id like to explore the SS idea more
                    This is channel stock

Install with the channel facing down, over the caulk....then you won't hold moisture. About caulking the joint..........

There should be something in the joint, so that the caulk doesn't have three point (fixed) contact. Normally backer rod is used to prevent this (along with controlling caulk depth), but the heat will melt it over time. So maybe use ceramic rope, pieces of ceramic blanket or board. Since the material acting as backer rod is free floating, it will work as a 'backer'.
                    Last edited by stonecutter; 10-01-2013, 08:30 AM.
                    Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Oh, and for pre-heating the flue, you can also twist up a roll of burning newspaper and hold it to the flue as you start a small oven fire.....metal flue heats up fast.

Is the oven facing the prevailing wind?
                      Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

It faces due west but it really is in a wind-neutral zone. My 2 story house is NW of it and trees all over the place. The last few days were windy due to a bit of unstable weather. Our Prevailing Wind is from the SW which would strike it on the back right if it werent for all the trees.

In my feeble mind I was thinking the SS channel would ride the other way, all the way between the Granite and Oven channeling the water left or right, a gutter if u will. Probably overthinking it.....
                        I have to be gone all next week so I have 2 10 hr flights to overthink stuff even more!

Comment

....... I was thinking the SS channel would ride the other way, all the way between the Granite and Oven channeling the water left or right, a gutter if u will.
                          That works too, but it would probably continually build up crud, unless you want to clean it constantly.
                          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                            Oh, and for pre-heating the flue, you can also twist up a roll of burning newspaper and hold it to the flue as you start a small oven fire.....metal flue heats up fast.
                            That is pretty much what I do. I would have replied earlier but, TDS.Net went down right after I made the reply . It was still down when I was drinking my coffee before leaving for work at 4:00 am this morning . I saw one of their trucks on the highway at the end of my drive when I was leaving .

I start my fire in the oven. By the time that first little drift of smoke/heat falls low enough to exit the inner arch, it is following an already trained column of rising air upward and not into my face .
                            Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I had to do that in my oven in CT but not my current one. A couple things I did different are that I made the throat bigger, and I made my outer arch about 1/4" smaller than the vent arch ( which is 1" wider than the oven opening). My oven had no choice but to face the prevailing wind, which is constant here on the lake. This oven has an awesome draw...it has all to do with that flue opening. I never have to preheat this flue like I did in CT. I'll post a video on my thread someday. But I think this is an area that gets undersized a lot. It doesn't matter if the opening is large, because once heat travels past the oven opening, it is lost to the oven whether the flue opening is small or large.
                              Last edited by stonecutter; 10-01-2013, 04:30 PM.
                              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Yesterday it ran for 12 hrs at 300 and the inner arch and inside of the chimney base was almost black, the dome is a deep dark brown but the outer arch has no color or staining. I will have a decorative arch that will add another 3/4" or so of depth
                                Last edited by GarnerAC; 10-01-2013, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X