• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 42" build in Central Texas

That is a great reading, well done.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

276 degrees, 80 plus hours after shutdown
      My build documentary page:
      https://picasaweb.google.com/1011587...iredOvenBuild#

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

Sorry I missed you, I got there right after you left. Here is a the jack arch, 4J is the style I would recommend. One full and one 1/2 should give you enough to cover the full 17" over the angle. Hold one pair up there and establish the skew to fit. I would also recommend cutting the top and bottom parallel to angle iron once you have the skew set.

edit-- The link would help:

http://www.archwaysysteminc.com/jackarch_standard.htm
        Last edited by Tscarborough; 11-19-2013, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Progress report:
          Started the brick veneer yesterday and worked off and on today. This is a great product, easy to install and looks beautiful. It's made by Eldorado.
          With Tom's help with design on the Jack Arch, it will add and interesting element. If I can keep a straight line the rest should go smoothly. Although I am a little nervous about grouting it. That could make or break the look Im going for. I'll start that in the back!

The reason for the white thinset is because thats all HD had at the time and I didnt think it would matter, BUT, if you get any on the face of brick it wont come off so I went back and got gray this morning. Also, I started out spreading it like thinset usually is spread, with a notch trowel, until it was pointed out that I can just butter the brick and stick!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20131119_171214.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	302552

Name:	20131120_094330.jpg
Size:	1.16 MB
ID:	302553

Name:	20131120_094408.jpg
Size:	1.25 MB
ID:	302554

Name:	20131120_104850.jpg
Size:	967.6 KB
ID:	302555

Name:	20131015_115318.jpg
Size:	1.11 MB
ID:	302556
          Last edited by GarnerAC; 11-20-2013, 05:51 PM.

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

I really like that look Garner. If it was mine I would tuck it with lime mortar or white Type N mortar, then rake it back about 3/16" and finally brush finish. That would replicate old joint work nicely.

Your pointing mix should not be as loose as your thin set. It should stay together when you squeeze it in your hand...a bit like dry clay.

If you use a loose mix and slob it all over those nice brick with a grout bag, I'm putting you on my ignore list.
            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

I wouldn't use a bag at all. 95% of it is horizontal and it is faster and neater to tuck it off a hawk. If you need to borrow a hawk and some tuckpointers, let me know. If it isn't raining tomorrow, I will stop by and show you the technique.

It looks real nice, but I disagree with raking the joints, those old raggedy brick want filled and smeared joints. Are you going with white, grey or colored? I have an ivory colored masonry cement that looks like the old Alamo cement, if you know what that looks like.

Comment

I put the hawk, some tuckpointers and a bag in the truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                  It looks real nice, but I disagree with raking the joints, those old raggedy brick want filled and smeared joints.
                  When I suggested raked back, it doesn't mean in the true sense of the word... just enough to show the edge ( not literally 3/16") like what time does to antique mortar.

But smeared joints? Urg....why make it look like an amateur pointed the wall with a dead cat or a hack repair job? I will never personally buy into the idea that sloppy joint work = old looking......big disagree there.

That's not the point though, it doesn't really matter worth a darn what I or anyone else thinks, except Garner...it's his oven after all.
                  Last edited by stonecutter; 11-20-2013, 07:19 PM.
                  Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Oooh. Masonry argument.

Gets popcorn

My build progress
                    My WFO Journal on Facebook
                    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Hahaha...I have strong opinions for sure, especially when it comes to anything masonry related. I am not trying to be argumentative at all. Opinionated...guilty as charged.
                      Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Doh! and I had me a real nice MPI masonry bag too Stoner!
                        As far as color, I hadnt really given it ALOT of thought. Just was going to use the standard Grey,, maybe a lighter grey. White seems to be a bit dramatic and from yesterday's start-up with White thinset, it sure seems tough to keep off the face and once it was on there it wasn't coming off!
                        Please come by if you have time,,, I'll try to get some done on the back-side so we can experiment. My joints are varying from 1/4" to 1/2" as this brick is purposefully inconsistent.

Comment

I just picked up all tools and threw up a couple tarps as it is misting. I think the rain wasnt supposed to be here til Friday afternoon. Be glad when it's dried in.

edit:
                          This is what Eldorado shows as a sample. I think my brick is considerably darker brown than shown here and with more black.

Name:	Capture.JPG
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	302561

Here are a couple that I like, Are these considered White? Ivory? Grey?

Name:	4.jpg
Size:	70.0 KB
ID:	302559

Name:	depositphotos_5612134-Pizza-Margherita.jpg
Size:	551.5 KB
ID:	302560
                          Last edited by GarnerAC; 11-21-2013, 05:53 AM.

Comment

The first is full joints with white mud, the second is smeared with Mexican mud of unknown type, the third is the raked joints I think Stone cutter was talking about and the forth is ivory cream cement.

Comment

Pretty close T, though IMO, a tooled look is too formal for his brick. It's hard to tell, but the joints in the second pic look they were finished with a slicker, rather than raked back. I see a small thin ridge of mortar along the edge of some of the brick and what looks like an indented center.

What I was visualizing was more like a cross between that and the last pic, except the joint isn't flushed out to the edge. It produces a weathered look when brushed...I did it with my antique brick corners. It replicates old weathered joints you see on historic buildings, which used those type of brick. The finish in the last pic would look great as well ( flushed ) with irregular joint spaces. It looks like a brush finish to me.

The color of the mortar in the last pic would look dynamite with the brick too. One vote ( from the peanut gallery) for ivory cream
                              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Ivory cream matches the old Alamo (before they built a new plant and quarries) pretty well. It was the most common cement in Central Texas for 100 years, so I have to match it a lot.

Comment

Working...
                                X