Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Starting my WFO in N. Carolina

Originally posted by NCMan View Post
    I had a bit of time today and got started on my dome bricks. Here's a couple of photos.
    Looking good NC, keep the pictures coming.

Comment

No, it's a good question. After I finish w/the oven, I will do a brick arch in the front,then I have about 16" more room in the front for my vent and landing area. If you notice where the foundation is laid in the front, you may be able to see the extra room. I just didn't want to pour the hearth slab all at once. For two reasons, actually. One, it gives me more room to work while building the oven. And two, it gives me a structural construction joint in the slabs, where the oven entry and the vent area meet. It's just my way of doing it. Hope that helps explain your question. Oh, I will be doing a masonry chimney.
      Your brick work is looking good, glad to see your taking the time to taper the bricks. I feel that is the best option, no way for the bricks to slide out.

I was scared to do a full masonry chimney. Looking forward to seeing it. I wish I would have did the monolithic arch below mine a little different. I should have extended the pour into sides a half block or more. It would have made it much stronger.

Keep up the good work
      Respectfully,

KB

My build
      Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

KB.....thanks for the compliments. They always say once you do your first oven, you wish you'd have done something different, so that seems normal. I already have a few things I'd have done different,too. As for me, I just take it one step at a time and keep pluggin' along. Slow, but steady. Your build is quite impressive and you should be proud of all your hard work. I like it.
        My Build:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Originally posted by Campmaki View Post
          Looking good NC, keep the pictures coming.
          Thanks. Coming from a pro like you, that is quite a compliment. Your build is very impressive and I can't believe how fast you accomplished so much. Nice work. Very nice.
          My Build:

Comment

Here are a few progress pics on the dome and inner arch. Also, a small sample of the stonework that will cover it all later.
            My Build:

Comment

Just a question, not a criticism. You are apparently taking the time to keep the joints pretty tight in the dome brick, why not do the same for the arch? The arch will have the most stress and abuse, and would benefit from the tight joints more so than the dome.

Comment

Just as an FYI, if you cut wedges the piece cut out, reversed, can be used to reduce the size of the joint further.

Comment

NC, keep the pictures coming looking good.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                    Just a question, not a criticism. You are apparently taking the time to keep the joints pretty tight in the dome brick, why not do the same for the arch? The arch will have the most stress and abuse, and would benefit from the tight joints more so than the dome.
                    You have a good point. I guess when I was building the arch, I was thinking it wouldn't be seen later, so why spend too much time on it? I guess I was not thinking of the functionality of it as much as the appearance and perhaps I should have. This is my first oven, so I have lots to learn. I plan to do my other arches differently, for what it's worth. I know it's too late to change this one. Thanks for the question. Maybe it will help the next person before they build theirs.
                    My Build:

Comment

• Re: Starting my WFO in N. Carolina

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                      After mulling it over for a day, I have decided to remove the arch and redo it. I removed it earlier today. Thanks for pointing that out to me, Tscar. I plan to construct a masonry chimney that will later bear on that arch and I want it to be as strong as possible. Did I need to remove it? Probably not, but why chance it? But now was the time to, if I had any concerns. And I did. Weather permitting, I'll have it rebuilt this weekend and get back to work on the oven.
                      My Build:

Comment

NC, yes you did right taking it apart. It is a easy fix. Tight joints are best. When you re- layout the arch try to make all the pieces close to the same size. Do the math, circumference of a circle divide by 2 for half circle. figure the bottom of the brick size with 1/8 in. joint. Do the same for outside length of arc. The key is to end up with consistent pieces and mortar joints. Hope I did not jump into a fire, just thought I would offer a little advice. The rest of your ovens courses look good, the arch will too!!!Wayne

Comment

Wayne.....no fire to jump into. I appreciate the advice. As I said before, oven building is all new to me. I did have reservations about the arch and I also feel I did the right thing and tore it out. It's a done deal. Thanks for offering advice and it is always appreciated. Feel free to chime in anytime.
                          My Build:

Comment

I got my arch rebuilt and a few more rows done over the weekend. Here's a progress pic.
                            My Build:

Comment

I got my arch rebuilt and a few more rows done over the weekend. Here's a progress pic.
                              Looking good, Carl.
                              Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                              John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                                Looking good, Carl.
                                Thanks.
                                My Build:

Comment

Working...
                                X