New 32" build in Saskatchewan, Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New 32" build in Saskatchewan, Canada

I originally had started off with planning to build a barrel vault using a foam form but after I decided to use insulation I found that my hearth slab was too small. Hence I started doing more research and decided to build a Pompeii oven, but my hearth was too small and was 50"x52"

I got a lot of help from Gulf on how to form up my wider and deeper hearth slab, which I am making 56(w) x 64 (d) (Same size as the what cSpringsOven used for his 36" build), and I'm about half way done the forms and will be pouring a new 4" slab over my existing slab, hopefully on Friday and then I can get the floor pre-made in my garage and then plan on starting the dome the last week of July on my week off.

I have a 7" table saw type wet saw, but it won't cut through a brick and buying a bigger one isn't in my budget, so for now I am going to attempt using the saw to score the bricks and then use a brick bolster to break the bricks in half. My other option is a segmented diamond saw blade for my 14" chop saw but I'm thinking that option will be were dusty and loud!

I plan on using homebrew mortar as well as 2" thick INSBLOK 19 under my oven, I could go 4" since I have 8 pieces, but I'm already adding more height than I'd like to with the new slab. I'll be using 3" of ceramic fiber blanket insulation on the dome. Still undecided on whether or not to build an enclosure of some type, but since we get snow here I'm leaning towards enclosing it. If I do go the enclosure route it'll need to be low profile as I am not allowed to block the view from the kitchen window.

I've gone back and forth between a 32 and 36" oven and after drawing out a 32" on some poster board and considering I will mostly cook for my family(4 of us) I'm going with the 32" but have room for a 36" should I change my mind before I start to build.

My goal this year is to get the dome and arch/vent built and insulate/enclose next year.

Re: New 32" build in Saskatchewan, Canada

There is no rule that an oven needs to be 32" or 36", could be 33.6523", use the materials you have to build your most efficient size with what you have. Where you want tight joints are the inner face of the dome, I have seen some remarkably nice builds done with a brick bolster and a 4" grinder with a diamond cup. Then let the mortar fill in the back side. Up to you, but would the 2" of extra Insblok make that much of a difference in height, IMHOP I would rather have the 4" than the lower height.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
      There is no rule that an oven needs to be 32" or 36", could be 33.6523", use the materials you have to build your most efficient size with what you have. Where you want tight joints are the inner face of the dome, I have seen some remarkably nice builds done with a brick bolster and a 4" grinder with a diamond cup. Then let the mortar fill in the back side. Up to you, but would the 2" of extra Insblok make that much of a difference in height, IMHOP I would rather have the 4" than the lower height.
      Definitely worth checking the height on the additional Insblok 19...My hope was to avoid having to build a step in front of the oven since I am already adding 2.5" of height by pouring over my existing slabs and it's getting a bit taller than I had planned.

I'm hoping to make my inside joints as tight as possible we will see how good of a mason I am lol

Comment

Tonight I got the form almost completed. I just need to add a couple more support legs and put gussets on the legs and the 2x6 material I am using to frame the concrete.

Hopefully I'll finish that and the rebar tomorrow night. I also plan on putting vapor barrier over top the existing slab to keep it separate from the new one.

The one was an older picture of my foundation plus the pillars I and using for my oven. I have since straightened them out and I had to use concrete epoxy to keep them in place as I could move them when I moved the top slab.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20140623_213845 - edit.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	305102

Name:	IMG_196044065120452.JPEG
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	305103

Comment

I got the rebar cut and tied as well as the vapor barrier in place last night only thing lefg is the supports for the frame have to be finished. Inhave concrete coming Friday morning.

Questing regarding the chimney. I notice some peole use duravent, some use clay flue liners and some use bricks for their chimney. Which is the best option to go with? Does one have an advantage over the other?

Comment

Typically cost or availability are some of the driving factors then aesthetics. By far, double wall SS will be the most costly but also the lightest. So it kind of depends on you vent support structure, budget, and type of enclosure(if any).
            Russell

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
              Typically cost or availability are some of the driving factors then aesthetics. By far, double wall SS will be the most costly but also the lightest. So it kind of depends on you vent support structure, budget, and type of enclosure(if any).
              Is there any differences in how they perform?

Comment

The internal size of the vent based on the size of the oven it the most critical aspect. There is always the discussion on the forum if one can really overvent. At least, IMHO you cannot but you sure can undervent.
                Russell

Comment

I beat the rain today and got my hearth slab poured. It's nicely covered with plywood with a tarp on top. I'm hoping to start my floor soon in the garage while it cures and hopefully will get to start building the dome the last week in July. We've been getting quite a bit of rain lately so hopefully it will stop by time I'm ready to build.

A store has a dry cut diamond blade on sale for 70 bucks that I'm going g to pick up for cuts that need a smooth edge but still plan on using g a bolster for lots of my cuts.

Comment

The rain finally stopped here and I got to take a look at my slab. We didn't trowel it since will be all covered but everything seems to be level which I'm happy about. I put the tarp back on a put a bit of water on top of the concrete

Name:	20140701_150714.jpg
Size:	79.1 KB
ID:	305181

Comment

wow that's a nice view you have behind that oven! Is that all your property?

Comment

Originally posted by boerwarrior View Post
                        wow that's a nice view you have behind that oven! Is that all your property?
                        Thanks. Yeah thats all our property behind, we have 3.5 acres of land. Our kicthen window overlooks the back yard, so that is one of the drivers in me building a 32" vs something bigger as I want to preserve that view as much as possible. Granted a 36 wouldnt add much in height but the enclosure would have to be bigger as would the chimney, etc.. so it all adds up. I may be making more out of it than i have to but the oven size will still work well for me im sure.

Your build is one I looked at and will provide some inspiration...I am likely going to build a similar wall with the sloping enclosure out the back vs a dog house style as its more low profile. My wall will likely be as low as I can build it with an enclosure out the back.

Comment

Beautiful view overlooking your acreage. I am quite envious. Don't know if this information may help, but I had a similar situation. I ended up building a 39" diameter dome with a 16 inch height using an offset IT. (IT on a lazy susan), If you are concerned about sight lines, you may consider this approach. Ultimately I acquired more land and the sight lines were not an issue, but I am glad I did the low dome...something different, a challenge and efficient.

jon
                          jon

Comment

Thanks Jon. I couldn't put a 39" on the slab I just poured but the lower height is intriguing. Does it change the performance for pizza or bread baking compared to the higher dome?

Comment

As this is my first oven build, I don't know if there would be any difference. This works great for everything we have cooked so far. We fire it up about once a week and can cook for 3 to 4 days after the initial firing. I would think since there are less bricks, there is less mass, hence a quicker heat up to clear the dome. Use plenty of insulation under and over the dome. There is no such thing as too much insulation. There may be others with more experience who can comment about the performance of the low dome versus a full half dome. My next oven I am planning will be at some remote tree farm land my wife owns. I am planning on a 34 or 36 inch diameter with about a 15 to 16 inch height.

Keep posting pics.
                              jon
                              jon

Comment

Working...
                              X