X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: New 32" build in Saskatchewan, Canada

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    G'day bigt
    I use the " by weight" forno recipe. 550 gm flour 325 ml water salt and yeast gives you.
    4x 220 gm balls (7oz) good for 10 in pizza ( easy to handle)
    Or
    3X 290 gm (10 oz. ) good for a 12 in pizza ( I deliver to the oven on trays then unship onto the hearth)
    You just scale up to get the quantities that you want.
    Regards dave
    Thanks I will have to give that recipe a try as well. My dough recipe has optional oil which I usually throw in but this time I didn't and it sure made pizza's easy to slide off the peel. The first pizza slid all the way across the oven

Comment

I fired up the oven yesterday and noticed some smoke not from the chimney and discovered that I had a large crack where my arch meets the arch supports. It's too cold to fix this now as we keep getting freezing temps. Should I stop using it until I can fix it? Anything else I should do until it warms up enough to fix?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20141006_060729.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.7 KB
ID:	306153

Comment

Here's a few more pictures in day light of the crack on my arch

Name:	20141010_171750.jpg
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	306216

Name:	20141010_171803.jpg
Size:	83.2 KB
ID:	306215

Name:	20141010_171823.jpg
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	306214

Comment

We've ended up with a warmer than usual winter so I was able to fire up my oven on New Years eve. I used some painting lights to help slowly warm up the inside of the oven before I fired it up. We were still in sub-zero temps so I fired it up very slowly and it worked great in the winter which confirms that as long as it's half decent out I can use it year round which makes me very happy.

Cooking on the oven got me rejuvenated and I can't wait to remove the tarps and finish the outside of the oven.The one downside is that I may have put my oven too far back so i'll be tight for space to put the outside v-crete layer come spring time.

Comment

G'day
            Good to hear from you and great to hear you ovens being flashed up and used in the winter months

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/51/n...tml#post165152

Here's and oven that ran out of room for the insulation thickness it might make a good read. Recon the solution looks good and It certainly looks alright
            Regards dave
            Measure twice
            Cut once
            Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
            My Door
            http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thanks for the link Dave. It does look like a workable solution but I think that I may go back to my original plan of doing an enclosure. This would allow me to fill it with loose vermiculite to get some added heat retention.

Since we are concerned about blocking our view the enclosure will have to be small. I like the look that Csprings got on his 36" build in Colorado where the trusses didn't extend over the top plate to make an over hang. Since we have snow I'm considering a 4/12 pitched roof, since we get dry snow, which gets wet during the spring but also sometimes in winter... I'm open to suggestions if there's a better pitch to use.

As for roofing material I see lots of use of metal roofing but I'm thinking that I'd like something else. I may end up with asphalt for now and figure something else out, but I'd prefer to only do it once. Any suggestions on roofing materials?

Is there a rule of thumb on how tall the walls should be above the dome height?
              Last edited by thebigt; 03-11-2015, 07:27 PM. Reason: Added snow

Comment

G'day bigt
                With the pitch of the roof I'd follow what is on your own house. If it works on the house it will work on the enclosed oven. Plus it married it into what's there. You never notice that the roof pitch is different on an outbuilding but subconsciously you notice that something's not quite right.
                As for the hieght of the walls I suppose that to be determined by the depth of loose fill above the dome.
                If that looks to tall you can always carry the roof out past the top plates then put a lower suffit than the internal wall height. Has the effect of making the structure being wider than it is.
                A good way to get a perspective of what impact a structure will have is to stand back at a distance with a piece of clear plastic sheet. Hold it at arms length and use a felt pen to copy the outline of your oven. Mark the spot you stood. Take the clear sheet away and draw your new structure over that. Return hold your new drawing up and you'll get an idea of the effect the new structure will have on the view etc.
                Regards dave
                Measure twice
                Cut once

My Build
                My Door

Comment

How far away does the cement board need to be away from the flue? I'm using a clay flue liner and right now it butts up against it. I'm thinking that it may be better to move it in a few inches so they aren't touching. My roof will be plywood and I will have cedar shakes for shingles.

Comment

g'day
                    I no expert on flue liners but I'm sure I've read that they cant be left bare and should be insulated. be worth checking into.
                    regards dave
                    Measure twice
                    Cut once

My Build
                    My Door

Comment

• Well after "completing" my oven 2 years ago I finally got around to working on the oven enclosure. I had to remove the chimney to get everything in place and now I'm thinking that I'll replace it with a stainless steel insulated chimney instead of the clay flue I've been running the past 2 years. I still have to brick the front and caulk the siding and paint the screws to match the colors of the trim.

Comment

Working...
                      X