36" Pompeii Build, West Lafayette, IN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 36" Pompeii Build, West Lafayette, IN

No, it doesn't follow the same radius, since the door height needed to be different and it won't work following the same radius. What I did at your place in the build, was to go ahead and get my oven arch built. For me, after I got the arch built, the last few bricks in each course, where they tied into the arch, had to be adjusted slightly to make them tie into the dome neatly. I did not use the IT to set the last few bricks where they tie into the arch. It's close, but not exact. Hope this makes sense.
    My Build:
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

Your oven arch needs to be plumb/vertical. That's why I feel you need to get it done at this point.
      My Build:

Comment

I agree. I get your point. Thank you. Good advice. I will continue working on my entry.
        "Half of the lies the tell about me aren't true!"

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Glad to help, if I can.
          My Build:

Comment

Hello Cubslover

Here is a photo of my arch/dome intersection. I did a column and arch opening.

David

Comment

Thanks for the picture David. If my latest work proves to be unsuccessful, that looks like an easy next option.

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Ok folks. I ended up knocking out a couple bricks in my landing to get my transition straightened out. As I laid bricks down they were coming up straight and level. I guess the stars were aligned.

I fabbed up my arch form and tapered my initial arch shoulder bricks. After playing with some tapering on my arch bricks, I gave it up and went back to straight bricks. I was worried a bit about strength, so I took my homebrew mix and added a substantial bit of sand. I also filled the joint with scrap wedges of bricks it won't let me post pics on my mobile. I'll add some shortly.

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Aforementioned pics...

Nothing else to update on. Giving each layer of the arch a day to set, I'd hate to knock anything loose.

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Hey guys, after looking at this pic, it appears the top corners of my bricks aren't level horizontally. I haven't pulled the tarp off of it in a day and a half so I don't know how bad it is. Is this an issue? or something that will still be solid?

There will be a decorative brick arch in front.

Thanks

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

False alarm. I was worrying because I hadn't put a level across them

Did so this afternoon and they are perfect. Cool and windy today, I didn't feel like messing with balancing another couple arch bricks so I tied the first 2 courses into the arch and landing. Went much easier than expected.

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Ok guys. I'm fighting this arch quite a bit. For every two bricks I set, I seem to knock one loose.

I'm about ready to drop back and punt and go to a horizontal opening.

Am I setting up too much flue? The opening at the brick level is 12"W x 6.5"D.

I'm planning to use an 8x12 clay liner and am planning to do like the second pic. I stole it from someone here, I can't remember who.

I like to looks of the arch and could use a word of encouragement and many of advice.

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Rather than one brick at a time I would be inclined to complete each section of the arch in one stage. Once the arch is complete it provides its own structural strength.

I don't consider myself to be an accomplished arch builder but that worked for me (all 3 times).

The design you are following would be very serviceable and obviously it can be achieved. Whoever owns the original might be able to provide some feedback on how well it works.

I would not let the arch win. Stick to it, arches are cool!
                          Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

That's a good idea, if I can find a cool day and work quickly and deliberately, I should be able to assemble the arch, once the keystone is in, I should be good to go....hopefully.

It's supposed to rain the next couple days, I'll attempt this later this week.

Thanks!

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Your supporting wood work is a bit thin for the front arch and the brick are balancing on the support instead of resting securely. Add a piece of 2" foam or more plywood in the same arch shape, but give the brick a bigger support base to rest on.
                              I like the picture you are mimicking, one concern I have is the steps on the inside of the funnel going up the chimney. If you dry fit these brick initially and then bevel cut them to be smooth, you will get less turbulence in the throat area which will prevent spillage out the front. This is an area that pays big dividends to slow down and get as smooth as possible.

The 8X12 liner is huge, so if you want to restrict it down to 8 X 8 it can make things a bit easier. A lot of ovens have a 6" round vent, so don't fret taking it down some. Also the strength of the arch comes from the side support. If you buttress the arch properly, you can park a small pickup on top of the arch. Don't get too worried about the strength of the arch, just support it laterally.
                              The cost of living continues to skyrocket, and yet it remains a popular choice.

Comment

I know I don't want smoke from the front of the oven, hence the large flue opening. I plant to bevel the bricks inside the flue to give smoother airflow.

I suppose I'll have to buttress the support bricks. I wasn't planning on it.

Any advice for someone building as an igloo? 4" block over 1/2" rebar epoxied into the hearth? Front arch is complete. I plan to tightly fill the V created between by the support and Arch bricks with brick.

I'll work in the rear tomorrow.
                                Last edited by Cubslover; 05-05-2015, 05:47 PM.

My 36" Pompeii Build

Comment

Working...
                                X