• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DavidApp
    replied
    Re: Randy's dreams do come true oven build

Hello RandyJ

Charcoal is probable more controllable on the early fires. Seem to remember someone got the coals burning outside the oven then scooped them in as needed.

David

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied

David thanks for the complements. I do not have a door made yet. It is on my list of things to do. Hopefully I can get to that soon.

I also started on my concrete counter tops yesterday. I just went with the same stuff I used for every thing else. I did a 8" grid of 3/8" rebar. I added some charcoal die to the mix I went 2.75" thick. I am hoping to try hand sanding to get a polished look. We will see how it goes.

Randy

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

For the first drying fires, charcoal briquettes or lump (lump burns hotter) is a little more forgiving. They can be started in a chimney and then placed around on the oven floor. No charcoal starter fluid, though . Paper only .

Click image for larger version

Name:	curing 004.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	729.6 KB
ID:	308981

Click image for larger version

Name:	curing 005.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	572.5 KB
ID:	308982

Leave a comment:

• DavidApp
    replied

Hello RandyJ

Congratulations. It is a great feeling when it comes to life.

Do you have an insulating door? I think it helps to hold the heat and soak the lower parts of the oven during the periods between fires.

I noticed a band of clear bricks from the floor to about 4 bricks high. As the fires progressed this band got lower. I am assuming that this was as the moisture was being driven out of the bricks.

The fire can get away from you very quickly and the temperatures peak around the inner arch and dome.

SLOWLY Does it.

Good luck.

David

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied

Well I started my curing fires yesterday. I had it going for at least 6 hours but I had a hard time keeping the temp down. I was around 350 to 400 degrees on the dome and 270 on the floor. I think it would have gone a lot higher as it got that temp very fast with as small of a fire as I could keep going. It must have dried out a bunch in the last month since I finished the dome. I hope that it is not bad I was so high, but no cracks so far.

Randy

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied

Gastagg thanks. I have about 200 square feet of veneer to do. I think I am going to need to do my concrete counter tops before o get to that point with the veneer. So I better get that all figured out soon. Your build is looking great. I can't wait to see it when you are done.

Randy

Leave a comment:

• gastagg
    replied

Impressive Randy. Looks like you're just getting started with the stone veneer. Not happy to hear that it's going to be a big job for you or me. I've got a similar solution for my stand base.

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied

Well I finally got around to doing the roofing. I had swore I would never shingle anything ever again. Fortunately it was not too bad this time. I guess when you don't have to tear off and re roof the whole house in a day it is not to bad of a job. I used ice and water shield as all the underlayment. I figured that I might as well if I got any of it. I also wrapped my chimney in ceramic blanket where it goes through the roof. I thought it could not hurt. I also wrapped the roof edge in 1x8 ceader. Gives the roof a nice chunky look. A big thanks to Mrchipster for telling me how to do the shed style roof.

I also have started to work on my stone veneer . It is going good so far, but seams like it is going to be a big job. But I am going to start my curing fires on Sunday so I think I am going to make my deadline of being able to make pizza on my birthday next weekend. Thanks for all the help from everyone.

Randy

Leave a comment:

• DavidApp
    replied

Hello Randy

The cake looks real good.

What type of Icing/Fondant did you use.

Remember to go Slowly on your curing fires. These oven breath very well and a fire can get big very easily.

David

Leave a comment:

• gastagg
    replied

Looking good Randy. Great job on the cake too. Looks professional to me.

Leave a comment:

• Novaslo
    replied

That's a nice looking cake. I am sure you had a son with a big smile on his face. He will soon know the many fine things that will come out of that oven for everyone to enjoy!!

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied

Well I know this is a little off topic, but it is baking after all. We are celebrating my son's birthday tomorrow so I finished making a cake for him tonight. I have not done a cake in like a year so was a little bit rusty, but I think it turned out pretty good.

Also as a side note I now have my chimney adapter so I should be able to get that installed soon. Or at least I hope to

Randy

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied

Well I got some good news today. I got an email from menards saying that my chimney adapter is on the way. Hopefully it really is. So once I have that I will be able to start my curing fires. So I should be able to make my goal of being ready for pizza by my birthday in mid july.

Randy

Leave a comment:

• gugahulk
    replied

Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
    Gugahulk thanks for the compliments. I am very happy how it all turned out. I did not really have a firm plan when I bought the steel studs. I just kinds thought I need this many and after I cut the first stud to hight of the low side I put the other half on the high side and thought to my self(I think this looks about right). So for having no firm plan I am very happy with what I ended up with.

I wish I could start my curing fires. I have everything ready but no chimney and now that the roof is on I don't think it is a good plan to be having fires. So I hope that the adaptor comes soon.

Also it looks like my tarp kept everything dry. So I am very happy about that.

Randy
    You should be very, very proud its looking awesome!

Leave a comment:

• RandyJ
    replied

Gugahulk thanks for the compliments. I am very happy how it all turned out. I did not really have a firm plan when I bought the steel studs. I just kinds thought I need this many and after I cut the first stud to hight of the low side I put the other half on the high side and thought to my self(I think this looks about right). So for having no firm plan I am very happy with what I ended up with.

I wish I could start my curing fires. I have everything ready but no chimney and now that the roof is on I don't think it is a good plan to be having fires. So I hope that the adaptor comes soon.

Also it looks like my tarp kept everything dry. So I am very happy about that.

Randy

Leave a comment:

Working...
X