X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Frances
    replied
    Re: Elizabeth's oven

Very nice old bricks you've got there, they look great!

You're right about the to do list. Mine's been "nearly finished" for months, but it still needs a roof for the cimney, pavers round the base, a vine on the fence behind it, some kind of lighting - and that's before starting on the grill thing beside the oven.

Leave a comment:

• Dutchoven
    replied

As I hear so often about our project here "All you lack is finishing up!"
    Best
    Dutch

Leave a comment:

• christo
    replied

I like it a lot.

Kinda get a New Mexico or southwest vibe when I look at it.

Very cool. Nice job!!!!

Christo

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

I added the brick to the front- it's roughly 2 1/2 inches extra. I used very old bricks from a chimney that was taken down next door several years ago. They're too soft for much else, but they'll do fine here, and they were easy to cut. When I clean them up, they'll be a nice soft red color.

I also finished up the vermicrete, so the front of the vent doesn't burn the crap out of me. Conveniently, the very last of the portland bag went in! I had just enough. I wouldn't have wanted to have to buy another 90 pounds! I had enough vermicrete to build up the front too- I left a groove for the tile I want to put up to the edge of the floor.

Now all I have to do is get my stucco stuff, have someone help me lift my concrete counter extension into place, and put my tile on! (you know, it never seems as though the list of "what's left to do" gets shorter. Why is that???)

Leave a comment:

• dusty
    replied

Happy birthday Elizabeth!

dusty

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

What a cool idea!

I'm just thinking how impressed people will be in about 100 years time when they walk past your oven...
    Well, they're sure to be impressed before that, but you know what I mean.

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

It does look pretty porous ? if you seal it well, I think it will survive. May not even need to do that since it's hanging vertical.

Les...

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

Originally posted by Les View Post
    Pretty neat Elizabeth! Is that some sort of purchased flagstone?

Les...

It's half a travertine tile left over from a previous project. It's pretty soft- I could use one of the wall tile bits in the rotozip to carve it. I hope it's ok over the winter...

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Pretty neat Elizabeth! Is that some sort of purchased flagstone?

Les...

Leave a comment:

• Modthyrth
    replied

Gorgeous! You're ready to go into the custom house number business.

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

This is what I did today. It's about 3 inches by 6, and will go in the middle of the front- above the arch. Pretty cool what you can do with a rotozip!

Leave a comment:

• sarah h
    replied

Your oven's looking great!
    I think those tiles will work out really well too.

I know what you mean about the too-short fragments of time - I want to finish the stucco on my base but don't see any window of opportunity on the horizon.
    Hopefully, we'll both find the time we need before the weather goes sour (it's creeping in around here).

Keep up the good work!

Sarah

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

I'll have to be on the lookout for a nifty keystone. I'm thinking that if I were to lower the arch facing a bit (like 1/2 inch) I could improve the draw. I think I'm going to go with cutting my own bricks for the facing- I have tons of them all over the place. They should add a nice contrast to the tile I want to use- which has a nice reddish undertone. It's a little hard to see, but it's a greenish color overall. The mosaic tile I'm going to cut into strips either three or four wide and use them in bands.

Leave a comment:

• christo
    replied

For extending the arched opening - I must confess I really like what Drake did. He posted a link to the site where he bought the cool trim.

You could also extend with the thin brick veneer or cut your own - you could put a really cool keystone in!!!!

Whatever you do I'm sure it will be great!

Christo

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Originally posted by egalecki View Post
    Just need to get other people to stop cutting my day into pieces too short to use...I have an hour here and 45 minutes there far too often to get going really well on anything lately. Other than being online, which I can do just fine in that kind of time.
    Tell me about it! That's exactly right.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X