X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• egalecki
    replied
    Re: Elizabeth's oven

Chicken in the oven! And veggies too... not sure it's hot enough to cook them as fast as I'd like, but it's hot enough to do the job even if it takes a little longer than an hour.

I'll let you know how it eats!

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Oh.. one more thing.

I couldn't tell if your outer entry was higher than your inner entry, but mine is and Frances' is. That may be the reason why that you are getting smoke out the front. I have the same problem and Frances does to. But I think it makes the oven look "authentic". So don't you sweat it!

my 2 pennies

Dave

Leave a comment:

• asudavew
    replied

Looks great.

I used to use bricks to block off the doorway too.

I did, eventually, get around to building a door, but I still need to build another one...
    I'm the constant procrastinator lately, but it could be due to the 105 degree temps.

But enough about me!

I covered my chimney (here I go again) (single wall 8" pipe) with chicken wire.
    On top of that I added about 1" of high heat mortar. ( I was hoping that it would hold heat longer and help with the draw... I think it helped some)

Dave

Then I added more chicken wire and about 2 inches of vermcrete. I then stuccoed over that. The stucco has a few really tiny cracks. And I like the look better than just the metal flue.

Anyways.. a few pics for ya.

I love your design specs. Can't wait to see the finished product!

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

I'm going to try to cut a rudimentary door from leftover insblock 19 when I can touch the oven again- I guess I'll prop it shut with bricks. I'm interested in seeing how hot it will be in the morning in there.

What do you all put your ashes/coals in when you pull them out?

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

So today I had my first really big fire. I've been having mostly increasingly large "smoldering piles", so I decided to just keep feeding and poking the thing. I was getting excessive smoking out the front with the smoldering- my husband was getting tired of me smelling like barbeque.

The first picture you can see how black the arch underside is- I was getting a whole lot of smoke before. Most of it did go up the chimney, but some of it was escaping the front, as you can see in the second shot. In the third one, you can see my nice white dome with the soot burned off! Too bad I can't do that for the entrance... so far I don't see much cracking, except one in the outer arch, but that's why I buttressed that part.

Even with all the heat inside (I can't put my hand in to do the mississippi test, too hot) the outside, with the 2+ layers of blanket, is not hot at all. It's hard to tell the whether the small amount of warmth is from the sun or the oven itself.

On my way to get a couple of chickens to cook in the oven as soon as it's not nuclear anymore!

Now I'm ready to attempt pizza dough.

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Very nice shape, it'll look good!

And I really like your sketches, too...

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Originally posted by sarah h View Post
    Elizabeth,

Things are looking really good! Are you going to follow that shape - the vertical sides and rounded top? I never thought of that design style but it could look really cool!

I agree - one of a kind, would be unique.

Les...

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

Yes I am. I have sketched it out (badly, sorry). I have sheet tile (1x1 inch) I'm going to cut into strips so they're 3 tiles by 12 to make the bands around the oven proper, and I may do some more trim with them around the front if I have enough. They are sort of a multi-colored slate, with tumbled edges. I have a really cool dark greenish porcelain tile for the deck and counter, with a band ripped to go around the edge just under the top edge. I'm also boxing in the front as you can sort of see from the drawing to add to the landing.

The straight sides really appeal to me- I don't know why. I'm going to use plain type S for the stucco color (as long as it is the color I'm expecting) as it really sets off the tile well. I think I'm going to have to use some masonry sealer on it to get it really waterproof, though. I know they use it on houses and bricks and stuff, but those also get wet and then dry out- and I don't want it to get wet at all!

I'm hoping that my chicken wire will help me set the shape well to follow with the vermicrete and stucco...

Leave a comment:

• sarah h
    replied

Elizabeth,

Things are looking really good! Are you going to follow that shape - the vertical sides and rounded top? I never thought of that design style but it could look really cool!

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

I had to. I tried the lath - failed. I then tried to wrap the bar with foil - failed. The chicken wire did the trick. RT led me in that direction.

Les...

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

I have finished with the bricks! I added another layer around the chimney for protection against the wind blowing it over. I have both layers of blanket on- I must say, even with lots of protection, that's some itchy stuff.

Does one have to put chicken wire on the blanket before adding the vermicrete? Is its purpose to give the crete something to stick to? I'm planning on using the wire, but I just wanted to know...

I wish my spark arrester wasn't so enormous.

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

I just noticed that my wide angle lens makes my oven look crooked. Really it isn't. I used the level and everything.

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

What's the prevailing thought on stuccoing the chimney? Ok or better to leave it alone? If you do it, use chicken wire/hardware cloth and then stucco? My chimney appears to have 1" insulating blanket between the double walls, or it sure feels like the same stuff, so I may not need more insulation there. I will have some blanket left over at any rate.

I'm still working out how to finish up. I'm going to build up the front and tile all of that- still don't know about the tile I'm going to use, but the new pics someone posted yesterday with the small mosaic tiles really caught my eye. I've used the strip mosaic stuff around whirlpool baths extensively. They make some really nice porcelain ones, which should be durable enough for this purpose.

I expect I'll have to get busy with good old autopad to get an idea of how to proceed. I have ideas, but I still have to tie in a counter to the left hand side and I need to work that out as well. Obviously I didn't think as hard about the end result as Les did! You can tell he's thought it all through, start to finish!

Leave a comment:

• egalecki
    replied

Here's the latest- you can see in the second photo where I took the core brick and buttressed the sides of the arch. It will make my entry appear thicker, but it seems to be holding well. The crack's no worse, even with the chimney up.

My chimney came with a HUGE mounting plate, over a foot in diameter, which I couldn't use. It made a nice template, though, for the bricks I had to cut and grind. Here it is all nice and stuck in. Seems pretty firm at the moment. I worry about high wind, but it is in the lee of the house, so it shouldn't be too bad most times. I have a gigantic cap/arrestor to go on it as well.

Don't look at the mess- I had to run to get cleaned up since my darling husband had some crazy idea to go see a movie. And he insisted I come too...

Leave a comment:

• Frances
    replied

Wheee, leave the forum for a measly little week or three and you miss half the fun...

Congratulations on your wonderfull oven Elisabeth! It looks really good.

I think you'll be ok with the rain. Ok, mine was made from different materials etc, but I'm sure most ovens get a bit wet at one stage or another. It'll feel good to have it coved up and waetherproofed though, won't it?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X