Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

42" build in McPherson KS

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • I am in the market for an oven door. I do not have a welder, are there any good no-weld door designs out there that are still light weight?
    - seth s.

    my build (in progress)

    Google Photo Album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/k4JW8jut8cWxFpjM9

    Comment


    • Here's a link on doors

      https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ur-door-thread
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

      Comment


      • Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
        Thanks Russell, I will check this out.
        - seth s.

        my build (in progress)

        Google Photo Album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/k4JW8jut8cWxFpjM9

        Comment


        • Gulf My next oven work day (whenever that is) I plan to apply a layer of something around my insulation. I have the chicken wire in place and will do a brick veneer around the outside, so this next layer does not need to be pretty. I am going tor waterproof and strong. Is standard stucco the way to go? What was your final layer before the brick veneer?

          Also, I have my 3 inches of insulation and it doesn't go all the way down to the hearth, so I will need to fill in the space with something. Should I do standard concrete? See attached photo of what I am talking about, do I just need to pour a ring of concrete around my foamglas and cf board? I have plenty of vermiculite left and was wondering if I ought to do vcrete there instead? If so, what is an appropriate ratio?
          - seth s.

          my build (in progress)

          Google Photo Album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/k4JW8jut8cWxFpjM9

          Comment


          • You should be able to stucco all the to the hearth and over the foamglas assuming your final stucco layer(s) thickness will be 3/4" or so, scratch, brown, finish.
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

            Comment


            • Imo, you can fill in the undercut with vcrete to get it out flush with the wire. Since it will not be acting as an insulation but, as a filler, mix it as strong as you like. 5 to 1 is my recommendation. It wont hurt if you get it a little stronger than that. Outside of that layer, as Russell said, the stucco layer needs to continue on down to the hearth. Before applying the stucco layer, you may want to apply an acrylic bonding agent to hearth where the stucco meets the hearth.
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

              Comment


              • Thanks UtahBeehiver and Gulf .
                - seth s.

                my build (in progress)

                Google Photo Album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/k4JW8jut8cWxFpjM9

                Comment


                • G’day

                  Disposable Oven Doors.

                  Yep like the infamous disposable baking tray it’s posible to have a disposable oven door.
                  1.You need a small 6mm sheet of ply
                  2.a roll of aluminium cooking foil
                  3. 2 x bricks
                  Cut the ply to fit the revel of your oven.
                  Wrap in 3 layers of aluminium foil. ( no more you’ll need the extra when the first bit gets tacky)
                  Fit the door to the oven after the fires out. Use the bricks to keep in place.
                  Try it... you’ll be able to put you hand on the outside of the “door” no worries.
                  Ugly... you bet.
                  Works... amazing but it does.

                  regards Dave
                  Measure twice
                  Cut once
                  Fit in position with largest hammer

                  My Build
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                  My Door
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

                  Comment


                  • Italians used to use some left over bread dough to seal around the door when baking a batch of bread.
                    Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                      Nice to see the dome clear. FYI, if you want to brown the top of the pizza more without cooking the bottoms more, do what we call doming, slide the turning peel under the pizza and raise it up towards the top of the dome where it is really hot, it will be like an oven broiler and carmelize all the top in quick fashion.
                      I still haven't perfected the doming technique apparently... I tried on multiple pies on Friday night but the crust would actually ignite before my cheese would melt.. Maybe I went too high in the dome? We have been using large chunks of mozzarella. Maybe we need to grate the cheese instead, or get it out of the fridge a little sooner so it's closer to room temp when we put it on the pizza?
                      - seth s.

                      my build (in progress)

                      Google Photo Album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/k4JW8jut8cWxFpjM9

                      Comment


                      • Like Pat Morita (Karate Kid) says..........patience grasshopper.
                        Russell
                        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                          G’day

                          Disposable Oven Doors.

                          Yep like the infamous disposable baking tray it’s posible to have a disposable oven door.
                          1.You need a small 6mm sheet of ply
                          2.a roll of aluminium cooking foil
                          3. 2 x bricks
                          Cut the ply to fit the revel of your oven.
                          Wrap in 3 layers of aluminium foil. ( no more you’ll need the extra when the first bit gets tacky)
                          Fit the door to the oven after the fires out. Use the bricks to keep in place.
                          Try it... you’ll be able to put you hand on the outside of the “door” no worries.
                          Ugly... you bet.
                          Works... amazing but it does.

                          regards Dave
                          I've been using a piece of ply without foil, but have been waiting for the oven to cool to around 400 F before putting the door in place. Can you use the foiled door immediately after a pizza bake without burning up the plywood?
                          - seth s.

                          my build (in progress)

                          Google Photo Album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/k4JW8jut8cWxFpjM9

                          Comment


                          • Hey! Glad to see that you are in the cooking phase now...How big of a live fire do you have when making the pizzas? You want some but not a raging inferno...I've only had one catch fire so far but even with that it wasn't ruined...Quick question, have you been monitoring your oven temps during cooking? What's been your ideal cooking temp? Floor? Dome? etc....

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by zoolander View Post
                              Hey! Glad to see that you are in the cooking phase now...How big of a live fire do you have when making the pizzas? You want some but not a raging inferno...I've only had one catch fire so far but even with that it wasn't ruined...Quick question, have you been monitoring your oven temps during cooking? What's been your ideal cooking temp? Floor? Dome? etc....
                              I haven't been very good at monitoring temps, I basically wait for the whole dome to clear and that's when I push all the fire and coals to the side. We have only done pizza twice, (we've done a lot of other cooking / baking in the residual heat).. I had a small fire left on the side of the oven, but it didn't look like the flame was wicking across the top of the dome...it must have been, or I must've gotten a little too close because before I knew it my crust was on fire.. It went out immediately when I lowered it to the floor and the pizza was fine...
                              - seth s.

                              my build (in progress)

                              Google Photo Album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/k4JW8jut8cWxFpjM9

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by slschoming View Post

                                I've been using a piece of ply without foil, but have been waiting for the oven to cool to around 400 F before putting the door in place. Can you use the foiled door immediately after a pizza bake without burning up the plywood?
                                G’day
                                well one definite way to find out I recon, try it with the foil. If it burns... Mer... build anothery
                                Measure twice
                                Cut once
                                Fit in position with largest hammer

                                My Build
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                                My Door
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X