42" build in McPherson KS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by fhausback View Post
    I'm planning on pouring the hearth slab this week. I've marked my rebar so i can drill weep holes. I think i can drill 6 holes relatively easily.
    I placed pvc pipe before I poured the hearth so I wouldn't have to drill. I made the pipes be about 1/8" short and plugged the holes with rolled up duct tape or something so they wouldn't fill in with concrete. Then I just took a small piece of scrap rebar and a hammer and knocked them out from below. I only have two weep holes but I wish I would have done a few more. I've never actually seen anything drain out of them, but it's nice to know they're there.
    - seth s.

my build (in progress)

Google Photo Album: https://photos.app.goo.gl/k4JW8jut8cWxFpjM9

Comment

• Originally posted by slschoming View Post

I placed pvc pipe before I poured the hearth so I wouldn't have to drill. I made the pipes be about 1/8" short and plugged the holes with rolled up duct tape or something so they wouldn't fill in with concrete. Then I just took a small piece of scrap rebar and a hammer and knocked them out from below. I only have two weep holes but I wish I would have done a few more. I've never actually seen anything drain out of them, but it's nice to know they're there.
      Thanks for the tip. I forgot about that method in your build. My only reason for going with a drill was to avoid having to screed and trowel around pipe stubs. I like the idea, and will have to copy it.

Comment

• I've been back at it but haven't posted in awhile... Quick question.. I plan to cast a concrete chimney cap... Is regular concrete accepatable for this or would I be better off finding a large piece of stone? Or could I cast with some variety of reinforced homebrew? I am hoping it will be as simple as one flat piece that overhangs the chimney about 2" in every direction, supported by a square brick in each corner. Between the corner bricks I will stretch some spark arresting mesh before I place the piece that I will be casting on top.
        - seth s.

my build (in progress)

Comment

• Haven't posted in awhile... Finally got the stucco done on my base... Apparently Quikrete and I have different ideas of what the color "buff" should look like.. I was expecting it to be more yellow.
          Last edited by slschoming; 11-04-2020, 08:28 AM.
          - seth s.

my build (in progress)

Comment

• Originally posted by slschoming View Post
            I've been back at it but haven't posted in awhile... Quick question.. I plan to cast a concrete chimney cap... Is regular concrete accepatable for this or would I be better off finding a large piece of stone? Or could I cast with some variety of reinforced homebrew? I am hoping it will be as simple as one flat piece that overhangs the chimney about 2" in every direction, supported by a square brick in each corner. Between the corner bricks I will stretch some spark arresting mesh before I place the piece that I will be casting on top.
            My cap is plain Quikrete mix. No issues. If you want to cast, you could use the 5000psi mix, or just use regular mix and add an extra shovel or portland to it if you have that laying around. I was going to add reinforcement to mine, either #4 rebar or 1/2" hardware cloth, but did neither. If you cast I'd use a stronger than standard mix, 5000psi, with hardware cloth. Colored to match the countertops.

Or use a chunk of stone. A full thickness (1-1/2" to 2" thick) piece of Bluestone is easy to cut, shape, etc, and at ~$6 sqft, not terribly expensive.

Do understand my "cap" is slightly different than yours. My cap is on top of the landing tunnel the 10" chimney pipe extends through it.
            Mongo

My Build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-42-ct-build

Comment

• Originally posted by mongota View Post

My cap is plain Quikrete mix. No issues. If you want to cast, you could use the 5000psi mix, or just use regular mix and add an extra shovel or portland to it if you have that laying around. I was going to add reinforcement to mine, either #4 rebar or 1/2" hardware cloth, but did neither. If you cast I'd use a stronger than standard mix, 5000psi, with hardware cloth. Colored to match the countertops.

Or use a chunk of stone. A full thickness (1-1/2" to 2" thick) piece of Bluestone is easy to cut, shape, etc, and at ~$6 sqft, not terribly expensive.

Do understand my "cap" is slightly different than yours. My cap is on top of the landing tunnel the 10" chimney pipe extends through it.
              Thanks Mongo. I ended up casting a "cap" at the same time / with the same mix as my coutertops. I used standard quikrete but added glass fibers, extra portland, and some plasticizer (found mix recipe from another site when I saw the cost of the premixed countertop mix. The cap also has some remesh in the middle. Should look good up there, just hope it holds up to the heat. I plan to finish up the chimney in the next week or so if time allows.
              - seth s.

my build (in progress)

Comment

Working...
              X