No announcement yet.

42" Pompeii construction in Adelaide

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As mentioned above, the center of the brick face is what needs to be touching the form. So, less wedge angle for each brick.
    Last edited by BeanAnimal; 07-26-2020, 10:48 AM.

Comment

Thanks BeanAnimal, and thanks to all for the feedback. In the end I drew accurate lines in the arch form, where the centre of the arch brick needs to be and I'l aligning that with a centre line along the centre of the brick. I'm keeping the gap required at the inner joints and then simply aligning the brick line with the form line. To be honest I still don't know why the measurements of the required gaps based on the circumference (mathematical calculations) didn't work but oh well pressing on anyway. So getting there around work and other things requiring time. Is there a comp for the slowest build??
      Regards
      Adelaide, Australia.

Comment

My build ranks right up there in slowness. I started in 2011 and barely put the finishing touches on in 2021 and only because I needed a Covid 19 stay at home project..LOL.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

G'day All,
          I had to stop work around 3 weeks ago and I've been meaning to update since then. Unfortunately work will prevent any chance of continuing the oven for the next few months.
          A huge thanks to all for your comments and assistance so far, certainly results in not only a much better result but no doubt quicker as well.
          It was good to at least close the dome off over the inner arch before I stopped. I'm still not sure I really grasped the tapered inner arch, I think it was a lot of luck but I do know the assistance from forum members informed me enough to get the position of the arch reasonable which was the main thing.
          I purchased the dome bricks as is, tapered. The benefit for me was they were available, for the same price as square bricks and have reduced cutting. My old petrol brick saw probably wouldn't make it through cutting all the dome bricks and I had little appetite to do so, so these bricks became an obvious choice. I'm not too fussed with some mortar joint on the inside, I've kept it neat so hopefully all will be fine. Main thing that has caught me out with using them is the joints aligning. Difficult to predict and as you can see quite a few vertical joints have aligned, despite attempts to avoid. Even though I'm only mixing very small batches mortar there is still the need to get on with it and by the time I get bricks wet, height, square, aligned etc etc, well the bloody joints caught me out, a number of times. I can only hope this wont become a significant issue.
          As you can see, row 6 is where the switch happened, all bricks are then the same way up. I'm not sure how they will go for the higher rows?
          Regards to all, and thanks again.
          Greg
          Adelaide, Australia.

Comment

Looks FANTASTIC - I struggle with the fear of too much mortar showing in the interior and I know it is brick over mortar for the interior - but I think there has to be some forgiveness (I sure as hell hope so!) to give us some permission for leeway! The thing will still cook a mean pie!
            Great job, mate - looks like a solid clean build.
            Barry
            You are welcome to visit my build HERE

Comment

Working...
            X