No announcement yet.

Pizza History in the Hammer Continues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I only did a very few bricks in a taper and bevel. I quickly decided it was not worth the effort that it was going to take. If this is just a passion project and you have no wife or kids then go for it. If you have both then the extra time spent is simply not worth it. My guess is it will take you 3 times as long to build and 50% extra in bricks. You gain nothing in stability or looks. Nobody but you will notice the difference. That is my take on it.

Comment

Originally posted by RandyJ View Post
      I only did a very few bricks in a taper and bevel. I quickly decided it was not worth the effort that it was going to take. If this is just a passion project and you have no wife or kids then go for it. If you have both then the extra time spent is simply not worth it. My guess is it will take you 3 times as long to build and 50% extra in bricks. You gain nothing in stability or looks. Nobody but you will notice the difference. That is my take on it.
      Good Advice and totally agree. Strengtj in my opinion is not compromised and there is no cosmetic benefit what so ever.

Ricky
      My Build Pictures
      https://onedrive.live.com/?authkey=%...18BD00F374765D

Comment

Thank you both for your insights. My kids are up and gone so no worries there! Though, I am keen to get the best outcome for the build and if I can save some time on such details - I just might.
        You are welcome to visit my build HERE

Comment

Hello wonderful Forum friends!
          Been busy!!

The Hearth was laid today after spending the previous day building the forms and putting a time capsule away!

The forms are solid - used 2x3's cut from 2x6's (saving wood!) and holding up 2x6 frames. The one at the back (The Crypt) now hosts our time capsule: news paper, picture of Michelle, Valerio and I making lasagne (can't wait to do that in the oven!) and a letter to those that find it starting with, "If you are reading this, our oven is clearly no more! ..." it talks about the oven being built in a pandemic in a time of great social change and was made as a family for our family - continuing the tradition Valerio began in 1953 with the first Pizza restaurant in the area. It finishes wishing the reader well. I hope it is never opened.

Comment

The hearth is poured and now curing ... happy with the result
            Poured a 4" slab - it is plenty. 24 30kg bags - eesh - heavy stuff - but went well!

Used 2x10's as forms - levelled them then tapcon'd the boards to the stand and strapped it together - STRONG ... held well!
            Excited to be done this part - had enough of lugging concrete, mixer rentals and such. Time to turn the mind to the craft of building the oven now - measuring, cutting, placing: building!
            Nervous about these next steps ... but have been through the first stages and we now have a solid hearth in the back!!

This is going to be great ...

Comment

Don't forget to drill in some weep holes before the concrete gets to full strength.
              Russell
              Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                Don't forget to drill in some weep holes before the concrete gets to full strength.
                Oh my goodness - I totally forgot to do that after vowing to do that!!!
                To what degree of hardness can I wait to drill? I am losing light now and don't think I can do this

Can I get the drilling after the overnight set up?
                What size hole?

I can't believe I forgot this key point!
                UtahBeehiver Thank you

Comment

Looks great! For sure it's a strong structure.

Ricky
                  My Build Pictures

Comment

You can wait a week of so, Also silicon some wire mesh over the bottom of the holes so bugs won't build a nest. 3 or 4 - 3/8" or 1/2" is plenty. Be careful of drill bit blowout, if you drill from the bottom, the insulation and oven will cover and bit blowout.
                    Russell
                    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

You guys are AWESOME!!
                      Thanks Ricky! yeah - feels pretty bomb-shelter-ish at this point!

Valerio and I just got a flashlight and went out on the slab with a board and drilled 4 half-inch holes!
                      Did pilot holes and got gradually girthier - I guess I'll have to find a thin plastic pipe to go through and mesh the end.
                      The oven will be covered so not anticipating a lot of moisture - but resting better with it done - I'll figure out the next details re: this - SO GRATEFUL you flagged it Utah!!

I'll fix it up in the morning!

Comment

So read on another thread re: mortar.
                        I know many like to work with their home-brew.
                        My friend owns a refractory company and sourced me the mortar in the photo. He says it is a refractory mortar and that is what it says on the package too!
                        It is a 50lb tub of mortar and water that needs mixing and has the silicates and whatnot that I read in refractory mortars.

Knowing there are a million mortars for a million applications and there are engineers on this forum ... I'm asking ... is the refractory mortar I have ok for the oven build?
                        I don't see why not - but is there a potential concern with it (that is, if you are familiar with the product)?

Thanks in advance for any insight.
                        Barry

Comment

Here is a link to the description from the company: https://plibrico.com/plibricoproduct...et-wet-mortar/

It sounds like it should work fine - meant for this kind of brick and such.

Comment

Certain mortars have a maximum mortar gap that should not be exceeded. With the homebrew it's way more forgiving and bigger gaps are not an issue. Some builders even cast their ovens using the homebrew mix with the addition of burn out fibers and stainless steel needles as it's pretty versatile.

Ricky
                            My Build Pictures

Comment

Originally posted by Chach View Post
                              Certain mortars have a maximum mortar gap that should not be exceeded. With the homebrew it's way more forgiving and bigger gaps are not an issue. Some builders even cast their ovens using the homebrew mix with the addition of burn out fibers and stainless steel needles as it's pretty versatile.

Ricky
                              Thanks Ricky - I have been reading this around the net and on this Forum. Apparently wet, air-dry stuff likes a very thin (5mm or less) gap to work. More than that keeps it from setting properly and opens itself to cracking (so I read) ... Some suggest mixing the wet mix with fireclay or sand to stiffen it for the larger gaps on the outside. I don't know.

I'm going to have to keep reading but I feel like my steam train forward is grinding to a mortar-anxiety laden halt with worry about the stuff I've got, the stuff I can order ($$) or the home-brew I haven't sourced or worked with ... ever.

Comment

The homebrew mortar works very well and is very sticky and is great for larger gaps and joints. You can go wrong with using it and its much more cheaper to make.

Ricky
                                My Build Pictures

Comment

Working...
                                X