42" In South GA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    .... and it means a lot if extra work. I agree with Mark that the 1" will not make any difference visually or operationally all said and done.
    Yup, a heck of a lot of work for no gain. I don't understand why one would want to do it.
    My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
    My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

• So what I’m hearing is keep my IT as is and go with the 21” dome height?

second question…had to pick up some extra brick due to all my “mistakes”… I call them learning curves…same place and same manufacture (Whittaker Greer)…old brick on right, new brick on left…should I be concerned there is an absent darker band in the middle? Could this have been a not as pressed batch? Not sure if I could really do much about it but before I start gluing em down figured I would ask.
      Thanks again everyone!!

P.S I envy you guys in the mountains right about now!

Comment

• Gluing them down?
        My Build:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/s...ina-20363.html

"Believe that you can and you're halfway there".

Comment

• Originally posted by NCMan View Post
          Gluing them down?
          Figure of speech, just want to make sure I don’t have a bad batch of brick before finishing the top half of my oven.

Comment

• I think the dark band ones usually indicate higher baking temperatures and therefore greater hardness. I don't believe that the others should be in any way inferior, but make sure they're not crumbly.
            My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

• Thank you MarkJerling ....not crumbly at all.

Comment

• Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
                Is there a particular reason you are lowering the dome height from 21" to 20", it really does not make it a low dome oven and it means a lot if extra work. I agree with Mark that the 1" will not make any difference visually or operationally all said and done.
                Honestly no...I think I read in someone's build that they went 42" and 20" high...after looking a little bit for where I may have seen that...I feel like I may have made it up in my head. ...all good to me not have to adjust my IT...21" high dome it is!!

P.S UtahBeehiver Hope you are doing ok with the storm and just able to enjoyi it.

Comment

• I just got done shoveling 12" of heavy snow off my driveway and the mountains got 19" last night and 20" earlier in the week so it has been dumping the past week. The powder hounds are barking but the Snowbird is on avalanche hold this morning.

Just let the IT do the work and only adjust it when necessary to keep alignment and angles. Spend you labor resources for other stuff.
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

• Late reply, I bet UtahBeehiver...snow came a bit late so they were more then ready for those storms...We got there right as a good storm came through for the week. :-)

Progress...we are getting there people...I am seeing the light!!!

Comment

• Looking very tidy edonovan !

Comment

• Thank you MarkJerling !
                        I do have some "preparation" questions for whomever can chime in. I want to start ordering some of my other supplies (blanket and chimney). Anyone know if 50sqft on the blanket is enough for a 42" oven or is it a lot?
                        I found a place to order the blanket and have two options 1" thick @ 50sqft or 1.5 thick at 34 sqft. I figure why not just do two layers rather than 3...obviously if 34sqft is going to cover it.
                        the second question I feel like I know the answer but going to ask anyways...is it best practice to just wait for drying fires until vent/outer arch and chimney are all in place? Or should I run a couple drying fires to see if there are any issues internally (I figure easier to access and fix) and then move forward with arch/chimney?

Comment

• I had a roll of 4' x 25' x 1" and installed two layers. There was a small amount left but not much and my oven is a 42" I also installed 3" of 8 to 1 pcrete over the blanket as well. You could do some low level cures, ie briquettes (cook a dutch oven while you at it) this gets you around 200 F. but be sure the dome is insulated prior to any curing.
                          Russell

Comment

• Thanks UtahBeehiver , so 100 sqft should get me... you feel the 2" was adequate insulation rather than 3"? Also, just to expand on my original question....how often is it that one would have to make any "repairs" internally in the curing process? I figure if I had to it would be easier without my outer arch, but also don't want to just make a smoke cloud in my outdoor kitchen if I don't have to, and if I can start working on outer arch and chimney while last layers are being set and drying then that could be knocking out two birds.

Comment

• As I mentioned, I also added 3" of 8 to 1 pcrete so equivalent dome insulation is about 3.5" of CaSi. It is uncommon to have to repair inside of brick ovens from curing if the dome was constructed correctly (they are pretty much self supporting.) that does not mean you won't get cracks but in most cases minor to moderate cracks are left as is. Key to curing and minimizing problems is a SLOW cure. Also, new ovens have a tendency to be smoky for several fires.
                              Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 01-17-2022, 07:40 AM.
                              Russell

Comment

• yes, I was aware of the pcrete or vermiculite on top of the blanket, I just have read more of 3" on the blanket...Good to hear about it being uncommon to repair inside...I think that answers my dilemma of starting the outer arch. also good to know about the early smokiness. And already have plans on going VERY slow on my fires. Thanks again for all the insight.

Comment

Working...
                                X