Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 42" Pompeii Oven in Jamaica

Hello All!

I've been reading up on the Pompeii oven build for a few years now. This year, I figured why not try and build one for myself and my family. It's been a great project so far and I can't wait for finished product.
    After reading all of the wonderful builds within this forum, I decided to document my own build too!
    I'm using the Forno Bravo ebook as a guide along with other videos I watch on YouTube. On top of that, I must say that the assistance has been great so far from the members here within other posts that I made prior to this one. I'll also link those in this for easy reference (both for myself and others who are interested).

On with the build! For this first post - Foundation + Oven Stand! (I'm about to start my oven floor, but I'll post pics of my progress so far )
    My Build - 42" Pompei Oven

This is the thread I started seeking feedback on the bricks I sourced...
    Hello all! Trying to build at 42" oven based on the plans provided here. Some feedback needed about bricks potentially sourced. Here in Jamaica firebricks are extremely expensive. Purchasing the firebricks indicated in the build guide will be the equivalent of $2500 USD alone! However, I am able source refractory bricks

Comment

Pics of the oven floor...So far so good!
      This is only a dry fit to see how things will look. The floor has not been leveled yet. Won't be able to do the slurry mix and level properly until the weekend.
      After that I'll set the headers on the outside of the floor before starting the dome. I read in other threads that headers are a better option than soldiers. Thanks UtahBeehiver for that nugget - go that from you! The orange bricks seen in the pics will be cut to size and used for this (i believe they will be 3 3/4" deep).

Comment

Coming along nicely! Congrats on getting it going. The learning curve about materials and methods is steep at the start, but things resolve as the dome grows higher.
        Mongo

My Build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-42-ct-build

Comment

wthwaites congratulations on your start - you have begun well and well begun is half done!
          Happy to see your progress and you clearly have great help there!
          It is amazing how your skills develop as you go along - good luck on the sourcing of things - I found, even in Canada, that things taken for granted on the forum here are not necessarily as ubiquitous as suggested - so local sourcing and alt-crafting is the game!

Interesting bricks - haven't seen such bricks with the tabs on the sides (?) -
          Your dry lay looks good - solid foundation - all the good start stuff - you will find you have AMAZING support on this forum - keep sharing photos, questions and triumphs - you have lots of folks cheering for you from all over the world here!

Glad you broke ground ... have fun!
          Barry
          You are welcome to visit my build HERE

Comment

Thanks a lot guys!

**Update**
            Today I leveled the cooking floor with a slurry mix (sand & fireclay). It ended up taking a lot longer than expected because I realized that I didn't have a perfect circle for the cooking floor . Did the best I could and re-cut some bricks then leveled again. Its still not a perfect circle, but I think I can live with it now; it's not terrible like how it was at first.

Moved on to starting the first course
            I laid out the first course as rowlocks instead of headers. If I did them as headers the bricks were only going to be 3/4" above the cooking floor; as rowlocks they are 1 1/2" above the floor. This won't cause any issues in the future will it? I can change to headers if that's the better option. Just need to know before I start the second course. I have no issue with starting over at this stage; easier now vs extremely hard further down in the build...

Comment

First course looks fine as is. Time to go higher!
              Mongo

My Build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-42-ct-build

Comment

wthwaites - wow - great progress!
                I don't think you will have a problem with the slight reveal from your rowlocks.
                The important thing here will be designing a true and strong IT to ensure your build going up maintains its shape, course by course.
                You can decide whether to make it adjustable (as many builders here do - and for good reason) or fixed (I did - seemed to be ok).

This tool will determine your angles per course and all your cuts - as such, the 1.5" you see now will just be part of your build going up (the first few courses are a gentle slope in anyway.

Great stuff mate!
                Keep it going!
                Barry
                You are welcome to visit my build HERE

Comment

Originally posted by Baza View Post
                  wthwaites - wow - great progress!
                  I don't think you will have a problem with the slight reveal from your rowlocks.
                  The important thing here will be designing a true and strong IT to ensure your build going up maintains its shape, course by course.
                  You can decide whether to make it adjustable (as many builders here do - and for good reason) or fixed (I did - seemed to be ok).

This tool will determine your angles per course and all your cuts - as such, the 1.5" you see now will just be part of your build going up (the first few courses are a gentle slope in anyway.

Great stuff mate!
                  Keep it going!
                  Barry
                  Thanks Barry!

I made my IT tool adjustable, but haven't changed anything since I set it. You're right - the first few courses so far have been very slight and gentle in terms of slope. So far so good...

Comment

**Update**
                    Onward with the build!
                    We have been having heavy storms where I am, so I haven't made as much progress as I hoped. However, between the rains, I have been cutting bricks to size and managed to lay the first and second courses.

The IT tool is definitely a life saver; you all weren't exaggerating when saying it is the most important tool to have for this build. I have also been using the dome calculator found in the "Tools, Tips and techniques" thread; it has been very helpful. With the Miter Saw for my cuts, I have been doing the side tilt and side angles based on the calculations from the spreadsheet and it seems to be going well - Not 100% accurate but close enough for my mortar joints to be pretty small. What do you think from my pics??

Yes, I know that I haven't really started the entry door, but will be doing that before I go any higher. That will most likely be my next update.
                    Last edited by wthwaites; 10-28-2020, 04:27 AM.

Comment

I think that looks good. Onward and upward!
                      My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
                      My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Tropical Storms are still holding up progress!

However, got the 3rd course and entry arch in. I should be able to get the vent arch up when the weather allows this week, and hopefully the 4th course for the dome too...
                        I seem to be running low on the bricks i have been using for the dome, and may have to switch to a different "heavier duty" type that i had sourced here on upward. (More details in post #2 for those interested.)

Comment

That's looking very tidy!
                          My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
                          My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

Finally, some good weather this week - SUN!
                            My first attempt at laying the entry arch was a fail - I tried to remove the door template and the arch broke and fell over
                            However, I tried again, and managed to lay both the vent and entry arches without issue. and went up a few courses (starting course 7 above the entry arch). Building onto the entry arch provides additional strength so I don't think there will be any issues going forward...let hope so!
                            Last edited by wthwaites; 11-13-2020, 10:13 AM.

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

Working...
                              X