No announcement yet.

42” Corner Build in the Shadow of Mount Nittany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Devious mind Mark! No, I hope that time capsule isn't opened for decades or longer. The plaque is really just a marker. The capsule is in the void of the block stand in that corner. Probably going to need a jack hammer when the the time comes. It contains current events, stories about our area, family, house, pizza dough and sauce recipes, pizza party menu and items that will probably only exist in museums like CDs and coins! Those interested can blow up the photos in post #12. I may PM you about the ECM.
    My Build: 42" Corner Build in the Shadow of Mount Nittany

Comment

• Congratulations on the beautiful work - I really like how your shelter came out and how it fits into your yard!.
      My build thread
      https://community.fornobravo.com/for...h-corner-build

Comment

• Originally posted by Giovanni Rossi View Post
        Devious mind Mark! No, I hope that time capsule isn't opened for decades or longer. The plaque is really just a marker. The capsule is in the void of the block stand in that corner. Probably going to need a jack hammer when the the time comes. It contains current events, stories about our area, family, house, pizza dough and sauce recipes, pizza party menu and items that will probably only exist in museums like CDs and coins! Those interested can blow up the photos in post #12. I may PM you about the ECM.
        Great stuff! I had to flick back to look at your time capsule photos. Real cool. I forgot to do that with our oven, but I did do something a little like that when we did our kitchen renovations as there was a large corner void.
        My 42" build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...ld-new-zealand
        My oven drawings: My oven drawings - Forno Bravo Forum: The Wood-Fired Oven Community

Comment

• Your meticulous attention to detail throughout this project is truly impressive! The comprehensive documentation you've shared is a treasure trove for newcomers like me trying to navigate similar endeavors.

I had to chuckle at your "cost per pizza" calculation—it's akin to my own musings about the "cost per coffee" after investing in one of those top-tier Nespresso machines. These quirky metrics always add a touch of humor to the reality of project expenses.

The insights you've shared about the project's highs and lows are incredibly valuable. Hearing about both the successes and challenges is truly enlightening. Your experiences with concrete consistency and brick cutting are invaluable for anyone starting a similar project.

Your dedication to giving back to the Forum community is commendable. It's this kind of knowledge sharing that truly enriches our collective experience.

Even though your project is already complete, your journey of research and contemplation resonates deeply. It's akin to my search for the best Nespresso machines amid countless options—thoroughness is key!

Congratulations on completing such an ambitious project! Your perseverance and the support of your wife and family are genuinely inspiring. Moments like your wife placing the keystone while you were inside the oven are what make these projects truly special.

Looking forward to seeing your future endeavors.
          Last edited by SableSprings; 11-27-2023, 09:33 AM. Reason: Removed commercial link

Comment

• I appreciate the kind words and observations spoink47

One of my goals was to provide an outline for a brick build including the supplies and techniques I used as well as those I didn't but were applicable to others. I also tried to note current best practices and some of the dos and don'ts. Since one of the hallmarks of this forum is discovery and sharing of new information, I'm sure this thread will also become dated in time. If so, hopefully it will still be a good starting point for some. I'm happy to make the effort even if just few future builders find value.

I finished my insulated door (well, more of an insert) and will be adding a few posts about that.

Comment

• I've been off the forum for a while and as a result I've missed quite a few PMs...

I just want to say congrats on your oven. You'll appreciate the hard roof over the top as the seasons go by.
              Mongo

My Build: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-42-ct-build

Comment

• Thanks Mongo,

And, thanks again for your help with the form work for the cantilevered slab.

Comment

• First turkey! A 20 pounder. Pretty happy with the result. For those eagle eyes out there, no, the one wing didn’t get incinerated. We are fortunate to be able to buy fresh birds the Sunday before Thanksgiving from Penn State’s Student Poultry Sciences Club. We always ask for a #2 bird and this year we got one. #2’s are a little cheaper because they have a defect resulting from the students learning to butcher!

This was a new experience in firing in cold weather. All summer and fall I could get the oven to full temp in about 1.5-2 hrs. I didn’t want to push too hard to start, so the 4 hrs to get it to full temp was probably longer than it need to be. I used 1.5X the normal amount of wood.

Now, for the “last” part of the construction: I decided to do an insulated insert instead of an insulated door. I believe it was david s who commented in another thread about how oven doors were traditionally made of wood so I decided to give it a try...sort of. I started with 7/8” oak for the frame and 1” maple for the outfacing side.

Comment

• I had just enough CaSil board left over from the floor insulation. Before I closed the case I applied some high-temp silicone to the seams to contain any fibers that may be shed. I had quite a lot of extra FOAMGAS so I used that for the inside layer, 4” of insulation total. The case was closed with 7/8” oak (not pictured) and that side will face the inside of the oven. The unit was assembled using stainless steel screws. I hope I’ll be able to replace the oak once it chars and begins to fail. I’ll provide follow up on how this experiment works out.

Comment

• Found some flush-mount pulls to aid in extracting the insert. I fit it so there was an ~ 1/8” gap on the sides and top. It fit in fine when the oven was hot but the wood expanded as it heated and after about 15 minutes, the top was starting to catch on the arch. I stopped using it and will trim some off before the next use.

I attached wood stove door gasket to back of the oven door to cover the gap between the insert and arch. The door is supplied with a probe thermometer to monitor the air temp inside the oven. That had to be removed so the door would fit against the insert.

I have a thermometer with a probe embedded in the oven wall. I’ll document the temps after a few firings next season and report the results.

Enjoy the holidays!

Comment

• Nice pro looking door.
                        Russell
                        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

• A further problem about fitting a door under the arch occurs when the oven cools, the door opening shrinks against the door, jamming the door in the opening. It is better to just have the face of the door sitting tight against the face of the opening rather than under the arch this requires a larger rebate in the door opening, otherwise you run the risk of the oven mouth contracting against the door as it cools, jamming it so tight that the door can’t be removed without damage to either the door or oven mouth. If you have a rebate in the oven mouth it needs to be big enough to allow for this difference in expansion or you end up with a jammed door.
                          Last edited by david s; 12-07-2023, 12:59 PM.
                          Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

• Originally posted by david s View Post
                            A further problem about fitting a door under the arch occurs when the oven cools, the door opening shrinks against the door, jamming the door in the opening.
                            Well, my thought was that if the insert fits into the arch with a proper gap on the sides and top when the oven is cold, I should be fine. What surprised me was how much the wood expanded as it warmed.

The steel door normally fits flush against the inner arch. I was just going to use it the same way with the insert in place, but thought I would experiment with the gasket.

Comment

• On a recent trip we were walking the city wall in Obidos, Portugal and my wife spied this structure among the residences. I really want it to be an oven but don't see a flue. There appears to be a grill on the left side so maybe it is an early outdoor kitchen set up!

Comment

Working...
                              X