Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mark's WFO

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • gjbingham
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Dry is fine for the layer outside the dome itself, if you have a stucture to contain it, (read: walls/roof). You will not be able to keep it where you place it without concrete, if you are using an igloo style finish.

    Dave tried it without down in Texas. His vermiculte (inside his wire mesh retainer) all sagged to the sides of the dome.

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    There has been alot of talk the last few days about the vermiculite/cement insulation layer. My question is.... does it have to be wet, does it make a difference insulation wise if you put it in dry?

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • Ellie
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Well, I think you have done splendidly. I cheated.... have someone doing it for me. I love to do projects, but this one is out of my league...

    Ellie

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Ellie, Considering its been two months to get this far, by the time everything is done it will most likely be two more months. Unfortunately this is a part time project. I have already started using the oven though and am thoroughly enjoying it. For the size of your project I think you hold the record for time of completion. It looks great.

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • Ellie
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    It really is coming along. Almost done. It looks like three or so of us will be done at about the same time. I give mine two to three days. How about you?

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Thanks All,
    Dino, for the dome I am planning on just using stucco. I am going to look for a inexpensive mosaic tile that is very neutral in color. But either way I am keeping the dome look.

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • Dino_Pizza
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Nice brick work Mark. Very classic looking. So you've been working in the rain? It's slowed me down too. I was cutting arch wall bricks under my covered patio during a downpour.
    Hey, the used bricks look really sharp! Will the dome behind it be stucco-igloo and the facade the square/brick ?
    Take care, Dino

    Leave a comment:


  • dbhansen
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Looks great, Mark! I'm hoping to do something similar with the face of mine.

    Leave a comment:


  • glennb
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Originally posted by exceloven View Post
    Its been awhile since I got anything done on my oven but I jumped back in today. I got some help and we fought intermittent downpours. I imagine Dino did also.
    I took the arch form out after two hours. Confident or stupid? Probably a little of both. I was worried about the clean-up. As it turned out I'm glad I did. Hopefully next weekend I'll get the brick work done.

    Mark
    I removed my forms for both my arches straight away as well. I figure that I want to know if it's going to fall down now, rather than half way through a pizza night. Luckily everything stayed in place.

    Your WFO looks great too.

    Leave a comment:


  • bbell
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Mark, looks great. I might have to go find some used red bricks!

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Thanks Les,
    I had my laptop under cover with your pix up. I guess that's obvious though, at least to you. It really changed the whole look. I love it!

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • Les
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    SWEET! You have it on the run.

    Les...

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Its been awhile since I got anything done on my oven but I jumped back in today. I got some help and we fought intermittent downpours. I imagine Dino did also.
    I took the arch form out after two hours. Confident or stupid? Probably a little of both. I was worried about the clean-up. As it turned out I'm glad I did. Hopefully next weekend I'll get the brick work done.

    Mark

    Leave a comment:


  • Les
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Mark,

    On my thread, page 11, post #90. It didn't work for me. The lath flexes and the mortar drops right through. I ended up using chicken wire and slopping the vermiculite through it. It's quite fun - I encourage you to give it a try.

    Les...

    Leave a comment:


  • exceloven
    replied
    Re: Mark's WFO

    Les,
    For my dome I found 1/4" rebar which I bent around the dome allowing room for the 1" insulation plus the cement/vermiculite. I am planning on wrapping my first piece of diamond lath around the rebar and then putting on a scratch coat. Then filling it to the top of the lath with the cement/vermiculite, and repeating with the next piece up.
    My thinking is that will work the same as using foiling to stop the c/v from seeping through. Any thoughts, am I missing something?

    Mark

    Leave a comment:

Working...
X