OctoForno

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: OctoForno

I would mark one end of the brick with those dimensions and the other end of the brick with the dimensions for a 21 brick arch that is the smaller size. Then I would taper the brick from front to back, while making the arch brick shape
    Here's how I did it:

I tapered each entryway brick and laid it on the brick below with shims to simulate my mortar joint. I drew a line (pic 1) to represent the inner face from the oven-end to the entryway arch. Each brick inner face then got 'shaved' to match the course below and the line defining the next course. Be careful: Before creating the line you must place the entry-end brick so that both ends overhang (to the inside) the brick below. This means you must draw a line on both the top and bottom of each brick and shave the brick accordingly (pic 2) After you do a course or two you will see how it works and can go faster with confidence. Colin picked it right up and got a beautiful result.

I'm not certain how much shaving you will have to do to accommodate your entryway arch dimensions. I intentionally built my outer arch lower than the inner arch to encourage smoke to go up the flue and perhaps a little less wind going in the front.

Even though the two arches in my entryway are distinctly different shapes and sizes, they share the exact same circumference.

I created a V-shaped heat-break gap as shown in post #121. I filled the outside of the gap with rockwool caulk ($16/11oz) and love the way it came out. I regret not doing the L-shaped brick like Colin did but I was running out of patience at that point of my build.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Wow!just wow. This was a pleasure to read, Thank-you for sharing. All your hard work shows in your oven. Its gorgeous. Very inspirational build.

Comment

Thanks WFB. I am guilty of taking way too long to get 'er done, but I was having so much fun it became obvious I was milking the project. Now that I'm 50 or so pizzas into it, its satisfying to watch the oven perform...

You have experience baking bread in a woofer?

Comment

Not yet, I'm in the planning stage right now. I've been professionally baking now for 12 years and look forward to this style of baking. Sadly I don't see it happening anytime this year but I hope to have everything planned, listed, plotted and sourced so I will be ready for next spring.

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
            Here's how I did it:

I regret not doing the L-shaped brick like Colin did but I was running out of patience at that point of my build.

Hope this helps.
            John hmmm patience

Do you remember in our conversations around flared landings and tapered flue galleries? When I finished the bloody landing arches as we had discussed, and then discovered that my vent was too narrow in depth so knocked the thing down and started again. Arrrghhh You said to me that well you have done it once second time should be much quicker.

It was but with a lot of cursing, talk of patience.

Only plus was the second time was much better built than the first as I knew what I was doing.

I am also glad I did L shaped tie into the entry arch. The idea though came form Kbartman was not mine, My only contribution was the ceramic tape to separate the dome from the landing. So far and some mean firing no cracks at all especially in the landing.
            Last edited by oasiscdm; 04-15-2014, 05:50 AM.
            Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Really love the shape of the oven. I've considered doing the same exterior shape since I have to change the placement of mine. Beautiful
              Loren

My Build - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...ney-19648.html

SLOB - Salt Lake Oven Builders - For WFO builders in Utah - Join here http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/grou...-builders.html

Comment

Thanks for the compliments Husker. Like so many builds here, once the oven became operational the completion of the cladding has taken a back seat. I'm being picky about a suitably matching brown trim tile, because in the meantime I've been able to expand the number of dishes I can cook in the oven.

Aside from the requisite pizza and naan, after a number of tries, have tweaked the process of baking of artisan sourdough loaves (pics below). Quite a balancing act with the rise and fall of starters, proofing of the loaves and timing optimum oven temperature to the second rise.

Main dishes have been the standard roasted chicken, pot roast, pulled pork, lasagna, pot pies etc. Lastly, will be doing my first WFO turkey dinner in a few weeks.

Dr masuess, I initially designed the oven in an octagon shape to be different and to keep the bulk of the enclosure as small as possible while retaining maximum insulation. What I found was that an octagon shape takes much more thought and work from the ground up than a rectangular-shaped enclosure.

However, if you are forced to move your oven, why not make your unique design the way you want it? I was brand new to building anything, so the entire project was (still is) a learning process.

John

Comment

Originally posted by GianniFocaccia View Post
                  Here's some more pics of construction of the inner arch, my SketchUp profile, and the dome template I used. I'm really pleased with the way the transition turned out.
                  John,

In your opinion should I form the inner arch previous to each of the courses or do each course of the arch as I go around the dome? I've been looking at several builds and I'm not sure of the exact measurements to do the arch first. I don't quite know the angles of the cuts and so forth. Your cuts for the arch were great. I have a template for the angle of each of the bricks on the front but I don't know how long the bricks should be or what the back angle should be... maybe I will just play with it a bit and see what works best, but any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Loren
                  Loren

My Build - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...ney-19648.html

SLOB - Salt Lake Oven Builders - For WFO builders in Utah - Join here http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/grou...-builders.html

Comment

should I form the inner arch previous to each of the courses or do each course of the arch as I go
                    I completed just enough courses to be a little higher than where the bottom of the inner arch would be. On the TDC brick, I used the wood template to determine the floor-facing angle. Then I pulled a string across the top of the brick (that would match the dome's next course) to get the upper angle. That way, everything would come together in one course.

You could use your IT to get the lower angle, and by doing it this way can determine the optimum distance the inner arch needs to be from the center of the oven. I mocked this up in Sketchup before I started the dome, and was relieved when it actually worked in real life.

John

Comment

John, I still am amazed at the quality of your build, was a joy to use your build as a reference. Thanks again

Comment

I simply set up the arch form and used the IT to determine the angle on the top brick of the arch, or basically the two brick next to the keystone. Marked that angle and cut them all the same and built the arch. That angle doesn't change and your course will tie in quite well. You have to cut the two sides of the course anyway. If this doesn't make sense maybe this pic will help. Of course mine is a half arch but you can use the IT to determine the angle and build the arch regardless.

Comment

Thanks for the compliment, Wayne. Just passing on what I learned from those before me.

Comment

I was just wondering how your thermal break performance is. I am trying to decide what way to go and yours looks very simple in design, and simple is normally the best plan and most likely to work as intended. Thanks for any advice.

Randy

Comment

Hi Randy,
                              I'm not sure how to evaluate it since I have nothing to compare it to. The most important element to it is that the floor and entire entryway is separate from the oven, leaving a 360* heatbreak. Sorry I'm not much help.

Comment

I've done mine somewhat differently. Mine is between the outer mouth of the entry and the outer decorative arch. This way the entry is integrated with the dome rather than separated from it. I therefore don't bother filling the small gap at the sides and the top with anything, just the gap at floor level which I fill with vermicrete.
                                Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Working...
                                X