Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you had the chance to rebuild your oven, what would you change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: If you had the chance to rebuild your oven, what would you change?

Originally posted by jimkramer View Post
    Wow, never thought about that mrchipster. Another reason why this thread is so great. What's the difference between a soldier and sailor brick? Is it full vs half brick?
    A soldier is a full brick upright as tall as it can be, A sailor is the thinnest a brick can be laid or half a soldier. A split is a half thickness brick.

Hope this helps.
    First is soldier example and second is sailor example half brick vertical and the last is a sailor laid flat.

Chip
    Last edited by mrchipster; 08-07-2012, 01:46 PM.
    Chip

Comment

A sailor is a brick laid vertically with the bed face showing, a soldier is a brick laid vertically with the stretcher face showing.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Can't argue with a real brickie
        Wikipedia has a nice drawing I copied showing the 6 different bricklaying positions. Having said that this forum seems to have a convention using chipsters description. The tower of babel was never finished because the builders didn't understand each other - nothing will stop the tower of pizza
        Last edited by Amac; 08-08-2012, 12:33 PM.
        Amac
        Link to my WFO build

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
          Just because they are bricklayers doesnt mean they know how to build an oven..
          Originally posted by Amac View Post
          Can't argue with a real brickie
          Wikipedia has a nice drawing I copied showing the 6 different bricklaying positions. Having said that this forum seems to have a convention using chipsters description. The tower of babel was never finished because the builders didn't understand each other - nothing will stop the tower of pizza
          I stand corrected

Chip
          Chip

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
            I stand corrected

Chip
            Mee too...So, what is the correct term again.....?
            Lee B.
            DFW area, Texas, USA

If you are thinking about building a brick oven, my advice is Here.

I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up.

Comment

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
              Mee too...So, what is the correct term again.....?
              To be politically correct, would it be called a "vertically challenged" soldier course?
              Last edited by Gulf; 08-08-2012, 05:16 PM.
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

These are sailors, it helps to use the common and accepted terminology, ie "courses" not "rings" or "chains".

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                  These are sailors
                  The way that the tops are cut I think those are called Marines, maybe Seals - they look bad ass!
                  Check out my pictures here:
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

I believe the "shiner" face is an American term.
                    The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

• Re: If you had the chance to rebuild your oven, what would you change?

I call a brick put in backwards a shiner.

Comment

Hindsight!
                        I might have built mine into the house. An oven in the kitchen is easy to use and you can capture all the extra heat. I built on a fluke really and a shoe string. I considered part of the challenge was to keep the cost down since I didn't really even know if I would like it. I had never seen let alone cooked on a wood fired oven.
                        I find that the oven is the center of our social life at all the family or friends getting together.
                        I would break down and buy a good wet saw.
                        I would build a better door. A cost steel boiler door would do.
                        I don't cook much except pizza so I would use thiner brick to heat up faster and of course insulate very well again.
                        chris
                        sigpic

Comment

I've had my oven for about 2 years now. I live in the Pacific Northwest (read rainy). My only design mistake was having the firebrick opening extend out beyond the overhand on the front of the oven. It soaks up rain water during the winter. I'll also be installing a top flue damper this month to keep rain from coming down the chimney.

I'll be getting a metal door cover to keep the rain out, so it's survivable, but if you live in a wet area think about keeping the rain from getting on the fire brick.
                          My oven build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/m...and-13300.html

Comment

I have meant to post this suggestion many times.
                            I cut my floor to fit inside the oven and used the herringbone pattern. I wouldn't change either of these options.

However - if you stick slavishly to the herringbone pattern you sometimes end with difficult lengthwise brick cuts and slivers.

To avoid both these problems - instead of cutting the bricks as they sit into these patterns - consider using instead two bricks laid sided by side and cutting them across. I was already most of the way through cutting the floor when I realised that this trick would solve both problem without any compromise of the functionality of the angled brick positioning.

This is probably something others have already done but I haven't seen any post on the subject.
                            Amac
                            Link to my WFO build

Comment

That is good advice. I broke pattern on this one in 3 places to avoid small pieces.

Comment

Yes Tscar and I see you could have broke it a couple of more times to avoid lengthwise cuts. This has two benefits.
                                1. It is easier to keep it "round" with shorter cuts.
                                2. You can re-use the off cuts of bricks cut crosswise much easier.
                                Amac
                                Link to my WFO build

Comment

Working...
                                X