Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If you had the chance to rebuild your oven, what would you change?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    re: If you had the chance to rebuild your oven, what would you change?

Hi all
    wouldn;t change much
    pompei brick oven to forno plans everything is tried and proven ....right down to the herringbone patern of laying the hearth so the peel don't catch.
    42 inch yes.... 3 pizza at once....good size entrance great for big pans could not see anything under 32 in being usefull
    fire brick and ceramic insulation yes.....firebrick store a goodly amount of heat and ceramic keeps it in for longer usable slow cooking time.
    Deep entrance yep.... Love having a area for an "ambient" fire in the front. 42 in has big opening so it makes no difference to operating the oven.
    Igloo dome yes....just like the look
    dome built on a plywwod guide....na would use the indespensable tool if theres a next time.
    Stand with one entrance for stowage....no would have a entrance on either side for easy of access theres some wood down the back of mine thats been there since its been built!
    Cut all the brick angles with a saw...no... Did it with bulster and diamond blade on grinder....works well enough and didn't take to much time and still produces a dome which is a strong structure itself.
    Use the forum more.. Big yes...not a big computer user and never been in a forum theres heaps of information and some truely awsome builds in here.
    [ATTACH]26384[/ATTACH]
    regards dave
    dave"s build australian section
    this is lovely!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Les View Post
      Re: If you had the chance to rebuild your oven, what would you change?

Most can - one will melt at 900 deg. All I am saying is that it would be very cool to have an internal light. Someone will do it on this forum, I am sure of that.

Les...
      I am very much contemplating the internal light....: https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-oven-build-uk

all help appreciated!!

Comment

• Go with a halogen light. This is what I bought for my build, and high temp wire. https://www.antiquelampsupply.com/5-...xoCjbMQAvD_BwE

This is what I bought. Not installed yet. Stay tuned

Comment

• Originally posted by echopark View Post
          Re: If you had the chance to rebuild your oven, what would you change?

More insulation under the floor (4" instead of 2" ceramic board), a slightly lower door (12" max), and a bigger opening to vent smoke to the flue.
          So would you have preferred to do a custom vermiculite insulation layer about 4" thick or thicker fire board? Thx

Comment

• Originally posted by aoteifa88 View Post

So would you have preferred to do a custom vermiculite insulation layer about 4" thick or thicker fire board? Thx
            Vermicrete or perlcrete provide about half the insulation value of ceramic board. So 4" of either of these mixes (@5:1) would be the equivalent of 2" of ceramic board. Ceramic board is much more expensive but prices have come down over the years & choices improved (new versions are available that are moisture resistant). I used 4" perlcrete under my cooking floor & it has served me very well for over 14 years. That said, if I did a new oven, I'd use 2" ceramic, water resistant board to save on the long drying time required by the insulating concrete options.
            Mike Stansbury - The Traveling Loafer
            Roseburg, Oregon

FB Forum: The Dragonfly Den build thread
            Available only if you're logged in = FB Photo Albums-Select media tab on profile
            Blog: http://thetravelingloafer.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Re: If you had the chance to rebuild your oven, what would you change?

Actually......nothing. :-)

I joined this forum in 2016 and researched for about 3 years before doing anything. I saw what the common complaints were and ensured that I addressed them before I built.
              • Don't buy a pre-made oven
              • Height of the oven to allow for easy viewing and taking stuff in and out
              • Walls are firebrick/ vermiculite/ thermal blanket/ plaster and tiles. Retains useable heat for around 48 hours after the last of the fire has gone out and the door is closed.
              • I moved my oven off to the side of my BBQ area as under a roof the area around the front door gets stupid hot.
              • Make it big enough to cook anything, but not too big that it takes 6 hours to heat up. - I have cooked Christmas dinner to 20 people (roast lamb, pork, beef, chicken and all the trimmings and the oven taste was amazing. Internal size is 1200mm x 800mm x 500mm.
              • Make the door as small as possible to hold the heat in, but large enough to make a 40cm pizza. Or a large oven tray
              I love this place. Been itching to share my build for a while.

Comment

• My oven came with my house, so I am extremely excited to have it. Having not built it myself there are a few things I would change. A bigger door opening would be top of the list, and taller is second, and larger is third. The door is 12 inches wide, I can barely get my pizza peel inside. I also like cooking and baking in the oven, however my pans just fit and sometimes they stick coming out because they expand. I have to bend over to do any cooking and that gets hard on the back when making pizza. I kneel down to do any other cooking in the oven to get stuff in and out. And bigger is always better. I can cook 1-2 pizzas at a time and I have had 3 dishes going at one time but I have to take the front ones out to get to the back ones. If I have to remake one, I will make these changes, however I will smile every time I use my oven because I have it and I never want to be without it.

Comment

Working...
                X