Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new build in werribee

Originally posted by Bacterium View Post
    Colin just been reading the saw detail.........that front handle mmmmm not so sure. Is it in line with the blade or below the blade path?
    Hi Damon

The Handle is below the saw line. I have while practicing determined i wont use it as it doesnt feel right. It is easier to hold the side of the tray as Brickie pointed out.

The handle is useful to carry the tray around when off the saw.

Pictures of Brick jig [On Growth Hormones LOL Russell] below. Sorry took them at night. Now its been made to look nice its time to dirty it up .

Originally posted by david s View Post
    Yes, I use a stainless steel sleeve around mine to protect it. But make sure that the probe does not touch the sleeve.
    Hi David

These tubes/sleeves will not have permanent thermocouples. I was looking at poking it down the tube should i wish to check the temp, but only when needed. SO am not sure how i will prevent it from touching the side of the sleeve when poking it in. I intended capping the sleeves with a threaded cap when not in use.

I will put a permanent TC under the floor. Any tips on where to source these thermocouples, have rung a couple but not impressed. I have found this site, but there are so many options i did notice a ceramic thermocouple on the site but do not know enough to know which option to go with.

TC Direct for Temperature Sensing, Measurement and Control
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-13-2013, 04:31 AM.
    Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

It depends what type of probe you have. Some have porcelain insulators around the wires some not. I did have some trouble with the probe giving a false (high) reading if the tip touched the stainless sleeve. The other solution is to use a porcelain sleeve, like kilns have, but they are vulnerable to breakage.
      Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
        It depends what type of probe you have. Some have porcelain insulators around the wires some not. I did have some trouble with the probe giving a false (high) reading if the tip touched the stainless sleeve. The other solution is to use a porcelain sleeve, like kilns have, but they are vulnerable to breakage.
        Hi David

They had some ceramic thermocouples at that site i pointed to. I was hoping to put in some stainless sleeves and use a hand held Thermocouple[except for under the floor]. I will make some more enquiries. Thanks
        Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-13-2013, 06:44 AM.
        Cheers Colin

Comment

hi all

Just thought i would post some daylight photos of brick jig/tray before it gets all dirtied up.

One question, how will the tappered bricks effect the calculations of tilt and angle from the Dome Spreadsheet Calc, assuming the bricks are cut as you can see it sitting on the Jig in the photo's. They are 75/63 bricks.
          Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-14-2013, 06:23 AM.
          Cheers Colin

Comment

Why not just cut them in half, they are already tapered to suit?
            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Then you won't get your saw dirty
              Cheers
              Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

LOL guys.

Hi Allan/Damon

I thought i discussed this when i picked up the bricks.... Hmmm maybe not .

I am wanting to keep my mortar joints to minimal size, i am looking for more a bnck to brick fit. Just me being me. I want to maintain very small joints. Not sure if i acn achieve it but wil do my best to make the attempt.

I like having projects [not interetested in finishing them quickly] and in this case happy to take whatever time it needs. Once this is finished i will be struggling to find other things to do around the house. So i need to make this one last so if i have to cut each brick exact then i will give it my best effort

My deck is a good example a tradie would just get it done within a price to spec and regs. I have over engineered it more stumps than needed, deeper holes than needed, stronger concrete than needed [premixed] for the peers etc. I'm not a tradie but very handy.

I am working to the scenario that mortar should not have to be used, if bricks are cut accurately. Something i read on this site somewhere.
                Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-15-2013, 03:25 AM.
                Cheers Colin

Comment

I know what you mean, my goal was tight joints although not mortarless. Did it make a difference, who knows, but being a perfectionist it gave me a standard to shoot for. Look at Les's build, it is really a prime example of a tight fit mortarless build. Be prepared to spend alot of time at the saw though.
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Hi Russell

Am aiming for around 2-3mm. Not sure if I will achieve it but can only try. That is why I recreated your jig, making it infinitely adjustable and lockable to the millimeter.

Haven't looked at les build but will. Thanks for that.

Had a look found only from the 7th course. Where might I find the start of his build????
                    Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-15-2013, 07:59 PM.
                    Cheers Colin

Comment

[QUOTE=)

Once this is finished i will be struggling to find other things to do around the house. So i need to make this one last so if i have to cut each brick exact then i will give it my best effort :.[/QUOTE]

Gudday
                      Finishing the dome is just the start you'll have many more things to occupy your time ... Finish, peels ,doors paving,benches the list can be as long as you like

Regards Dave
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once
                      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                      My Door
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hi Dave nice hearing from you.

I was making reference to the whole build and outdoor project, and my desire to achieve tight tolerances on the cuts and the jig for the brick saw that I hope allows this to happen.

I am a bit anal rententive in this area and want to achieve a similar look that Doug, Russell, Gianni hendo and now les etc. achieved.

Yes I agree I have all that to build and a shit load more, . You just added more for me to do, DAMN
                        Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by Karangi Dude View Post
                          Colin I know the DIDS group you referred to, when they were setting up they bought some stationery of us, small world eh.

Colin, if ever you are comming up to Coffs give a PM and let me know, I would be delighted to show my oven and maybe have a coulple of pizzas.
                          Hi Doug

I was re reading some of my posts to find your comment about cutting one side of the dome bricks. I noticed that I missed this post. There is a chance that this might happen this year. If so would be glad to PM and meet in person and that famous oven.
                          Cheers Colin

Comment

Colin that sounds good to me.

Also that cutting on one side works really well on the lower courses but as you near the top you will need to cut both sides as the gap is more pronounced.
                            https://community.fornobravo.com/for...-s-48inch-oven

Comment

Fifteen pages of a thread before cutting the first brick. This must be some sort of record!
                              My build progress
                              My WFO Journal on Facebook
                              My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                                Fifteen pages of a thread before cutting the first brick. This must be some sort of record!
                                Thanks Karangi might follow your cue with the cutting to one side.

Hi Deejayoh

Yeap you are probably right! I thought i would keep all my questions in one thread [where possible]. I have found it tricky trawling and searching the whole site as there is so much information. Lburo has simplified it somewhat.

I also have not been able to find more than one other build using Hebel [autoclaved aerated concrete] for the base and hearth, so i thought i would detail this part at length.

I have also had to wait for 6 months for my Brick Saw to come back with the Tray/Jig my mate made. So many more questions/concerns came to mind in that time. I also wanted to document from woe to go with lots of pictures, questions,answers etc.

I promise PAGE 16 will have the actual first cut [will happen this weekend]. I will even go and Change page 1 to make this reference or index this thread.
                                Last edited by oasiscdm; 03-18-2013, 04:27 AM.
                                Cheers Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X