new build in werribee

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new build in werribee

Colin - you are really onto something here.

I was going through some pics of my first build and thought others might find some humour in the "template" I made out of garden edging.
    Last edited by Bacterium; 04-05-2013, 03:28 AM. Reason: spelling
    Cheers
    Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Hi all

Well I think I have the transition worked out, Dave was right visuals work better. Thought I would get the IT and dome template sorted and ready to begin laying some bricks and moving on up that Dome.

I have included pictures of the method i'm using for interchanging the IT and Dome Templates if any one out there is interested. I still have to cut the Dome template into 2 or 3 pieces so I can fold it inside the dome to remove. will just be using duct tape to achieve this, if that doesn't work will attach some hinges.
      Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

And some more photo's to complete the set.

I have one question the arch bricks work out quite well without a central brick. Should I leave it or do as in the second photo on this page? I will move the smaller cuts lower down or shave some off each brick.
        Last edited by oasiscdm; 04-05-2013, 09:25 PM.
        Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
          And some more photo's to complete the set.

I have one question the arch bricks work out quite well without a central brick. Should I leave it or do as in the second photo on this page? I will move the smaller cuts lower down or shave some off each brick.
          Why, do want a central brick?
          The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
            Why, do want a central brick?
            Hi Allan

That's why i'm asking the question! Do I need one, or leave it as in the first picture...
            Cheers Colin

Comment

You dont "need" one, its your choice.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hi again Allan

Thankyou then I will leave it as is with one brick either side of centre point of arch.

Thanks again
                Cheers Colin

Comment

hi all

I got some of the first course layed today before running out of light.

I have read on this site before about how calsil insulating board sucks the water out of the mix [bricks were soaked over night]. Well I found that out today it is almost instant the stuff is a bloody sponge. Decided to flood the board before laying brick. Its the outer edge only so should dry. Through a small piece in the water and let it set for 30 minutes, will see how long it takes to dry.
                  Cheers Colin

Comment

Are you setting the floor on wet sand/fireclay over your calsil?
                    My build progress
                    My WFO Journal on Facebook
                    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Gudday
                      Smear the insulation with table margerine it will work long enough to keep the fireclay/water workable
                      Regards dave
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once
                      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                      My Door
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Two observations.
                        Your front arch profile is not square across the top from front to back leaf it will reflect in the laid bricks, unless this is of course how you want it.

Why are you soaking the bricks?

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I found this in the forno bravo plans.

"Before you mortar the bricks in place soak them in a bucket of water.Fire bricks are more porous then clay and will dry out the applied motar quickly if they are not moist.Cement cures through a chemical process that creates heat.If the surrounding moisture content is to low the mortar will cure too quickly and will not have the proper mechanical properties such as strength. Remember, you want cement to cure, not dry out, so starting with wet bricks and keeping completed masonry damp is a good thing."
                          My build. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ton-18665.html

Comment

There is also a reference to a soldier course in the plans which the experienced ppl on this forum have concluded is a bad thing for an oven.
                            The plans are a starting point.

Adjust the mortar to suit the conditions.
                            I never once in 30 years of bricklaying had to soak a brick.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

The porosity of firebricks can vary considerably. It is a function of the degree of vitrification. The more vitrified the bricks are the less porous they will be. Vitrification is controlled by silica content, fluxes present and temperature the bricks are fired to. Out of interest I tested the porosity of my firebricks and was surprised to find that they were the same porosity as the solid reds that I also have. House bricks are generally more vitrified and therefore more waterproof so they don't allow too much moisture into the house from the weather.

Regarding the slow curing of the mortar, I would agree that this is a good thing to aim for, as anything made from portland cement will benefit from increased strength if kept moist, but commercial builders never bother because it is not particularly practical to try to keep masonry, or render for that matter, damp. The bricks should not be so soaked that they are wet or the mortar will not adhere well.

This explains it in more detail
                              http://www.lmcc.com/concrete_news/03...d_strength.asp
                              Last edited by david s; 04-06-2013, 04:03 PM.
                              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hi David,

Are you a brickie, too?

Comment

Working...
                                X