Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new build in werribee

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    Are you setting the floor on wet sand/fireclay over your calsil?
    Hi Dennis the floor is layed on 6 mm sand/fireclay decided it didn't need to be wet [so a dry mix] and was easier to lay the tiles due to the tiles being used and the horror stories I had read on calsil absorption rate and since discovered.

I am mortaring the outside course in to bring the height to the same level as the Hearth, hence the comments about the calsil and it being a sponge.

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Gudday
    Smear the insulation with table margarine it will work long enough to keep the fireclay/water workable
    Regards dave
    Arrrh it was you Dave, that mentioned that in previous posts, I just couldn't find it, thx. Will try it today 'any brand in particular' just like greasing a cake tin before putting the mix in.

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    Two observations.

Your front arch profile is not square across the top from front to back leaf it will reflect in the laid bricks, unless this is of course how you want it.

Why are you soaking the bricks?
    Thx Allan I have noticed that and will adjust it today. In the interim I have been using cardboard to level it whilst I check everything.

As for the soaking of bricks.... if they are not soaked the calsil and firebrick was simply sucking ALL moisture from the mix, instantly, making it completely unworkable. I mean completely unworkable. The calsil [the fire bricks had been soaked] acted like a bloody sponge. That's why I threw a scrap piece into water it was completely saturated in less than, 5-10 seconds.

Also I am NOT a bricklayer with 30 years experience and I need a little more time to get it all aligned. Especially when moisture is sponged out in less than 3 seconds no matter how wet the mix was.

Originally posted by david s View Post
    David [and Wayne] as usual all information ready at hand, thankyou I have actually read that link in my research, and it made for interesting reading.

Thanks guys all comments they are really appreciated.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 04-06-2013, 05:43 PM.
    Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Maybe you would introduce less water into the oven if you soaked the Cal Sil rather than the bricks?
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by Laurentius View Post
        Hi David,

Are you a brickie, too?
        Not by trade, although I built a house over thirty years ago and laid every block and brick. Done bits and pieces here and there ever since.
        Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Maybe you would introduce less water into the oven if you soaked the Cal Sil rather than the bricks?
          That's what I am doing, and it seems to be working a little better. Brick on brick might not be as bad as brick on calsil, I just layed about 9 more on same course and still when wet, acts like a sponge but not as bad as dry.

But I can see if water got into the oven it would be a bitch to get the calsil dry, the bit I submerged, was taken out about 8pm last night and is still not dry. With it surrounded by brick hmmmmmmmm, a bit of a problem I could see.

That is part of the reason why I am leaving a small gap around the outer edge. To allow steam an unimpeded escape.
          Last edited by oasiscdm; 04-06-2013, 07:22 PM.
          Cheers Colin

Comment

Thats why I put a weep hole in mine, I know cal sil soaks up the water, but if even just a tiny bit of water escaped it would help.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Gudday
              I am "masonry inpaired". I'd be scared to lay a brick without soaking it. What would be scarier, would be having to mix mortar for brickie. Somehow I don't think I would come up to scratch.....
              Regards dave
              Measure twice
              Cut once
              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
              My Door
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
                What would be scarier, would be having to mix mortar for brickie. Somehow I don't think I would come up to scratch.....
                Dont worry Dave there was plenty before you who failed.....
                I actually only found 4 or 5 blokes who could get their head around it for some reason, I mean, its not rocket science is it?

Water, sand, lime, cement and plasticizer, youd be surprised the number of nufnufs who would bring out a batch with no cement in it....

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by david s View Post
                  Not by trade, although I built a house over thirty years ago and laid every block and brick. Done bits and pieces here and there ever since.
                  I once made a clay pot 30 years ago and use some every day too......doesnt make me a potter......

My Build.

Books.

Comment

I once made a clay pot 30 years ago and use some every day too......doesnt make me a potter......
                    By trade......

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Well I got the hearth level chain layed. Fixed up my arch [thx Allan] and put up a temp cover to protect from weather.

Hey Guys, you're all helpful, knowledgeable, insightful and I appreciate everything and all comments and responses to questions when asked, constructive criticism is always welcomed if it improves my build.

I feel we need to remember that some of us are not Professional Bricklayers, Masons, Oven builders, tradies, potters or whatever. ME I was in IT as a Consultant for 30 years, now in Mental Health Counselling big deal.

We are DIY'rs, handy people, giving oven building a shot. - PLAY NICE

Again thanks to all that have and are contributing to my build.
                      Last edited by oasiscdm; 04-06-2013, 11:44 PM.
                      Cheers Colin

Comment

Chill Colin......

24 pages and the base of the oven has just been laid, is this a new record?
                        Last edited by brickie in oz; 04-07-2013, 12:12 AM.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hi Allan = I am Chilled... You guys just added 2 pages over night with discussion on brick soaking . I went to bed and it was 22 I think.

Thanks for pointing out the arch. I totally missed that.... Looks much better with the bricks up.
                          Last edited by oasiscdm; 04-07-2013, 12:16 AM.
                          Cheers Colin

Comment

True,
                            But that does not alter the veracity of the information I provided.
                            Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Looking good Colin. Still so neat and clean... but then my mess didn't really start until I was up a few courses.
                              My build progress
                              My WFO Journal on Facebook
                              My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Thanks Dennis

Yeap clean at the moment and i'm guessing that it will not stay that way.
                                Cheers Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X