• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new build in werribee

Thx Russell and Dave
    Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Hi Colin,
    It is brand name for a concrete anchor bolt. I know some builds have been using TapCons which are concrete screws too. How's the build coming along?
    Russell we call them dynabolts over here, but stainless steel ones I think I will try and find some, I have been on r and r and gone to Bright for the autumn festival, so only completed part of the next course before leaving, my daughter is heading to England for two years. Had to stop oven work to prepare for going away party, will have a day when I return before back to work (paid) to hopefully get that course finished and next at least started this coming weekend.

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
    Gudday Colin
    How are you dealing with excess mortar on the face of the brick resting on the arch guide?
    Regards dave
    Dave haven't thought about it but guessing I will try to make little mess as possible. If there is mortar i will use a flap disk fine grit on angle grinder to get residue off.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 04-30-2013, 04:53 AM.
    Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Hey Russell

Did you take photos or can you remember the angles of tilt over the last 6 courses on your jig. Using deejayoh, spreadsheet calculator they make reference to up to 80 degrees, in around 7 deg increments as you go up. That seems massive to me making the tilt on the jig almost vertical. Does not make sense. I'm not saying his measurement are wrong but can't see it. Guessing I will though. Any comments are appreciated.
      Last edited by oasiscdm; 04-30-2013, 04:52 AM.
      Cheers Colin

Comment

Gudday Colin
        Tend to see these things visually. I think Karagi dudes method is a good one.
        Basically it's take the measurement of the bottom of the inverted V between 2 bricks and cut it all off one brick. Thus it should fit into the first uncut brick
        Or if you want to cut both bricks to form a more vertical joint ...1/2 the measurement off both. As the rows of brick get higher if course 1/4 bricks need to be used stop the gape at the bottom becoming to large.
        I'm of course not an expert by any means on brick cutting having built mine with angle grinder and bulster, but I do know a lot about gapes my oven has plenty of all types( thank god for three things , the mortar at the back, gravity & domes being self supporting!
        Regards dave
        Measure twice
        Cut once
        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
        My Door
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Colin,

My Picassa album has all the pics I took there a some of each course. My build was prior to DJ's spreadsheet. I used a different table which was done by JCG31, the tables or spreadsheet get you in the ball park and since every build has it own variables you have to make adjustments that fit your build. Just take your time and again, don't pre-cut a whole course, do 4-5 see how they fit and adjust as needed. The width of the bricks become smaller, as small as a 1/4 brick. Patience is the key, grasshopper!!!
          Russell
          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks Guys

Just Relaxing In BRight, Trying Hardest To Get A Signal, Thinking About All Those Things Oven Related. Hmmmmmmm A Week Off Could Have Got 4 To 5 Done.

I Will Mull Over These Comments. As I Have 3 Days Left.
            Cheers Colin

Comment

Colin I found the "cut one side only" method does work. It becomes tricky when making adjustments, I found myself cutting too much angle which means the front face "turns" in. Still though my saw blade has done half the work.
              Cheers
              Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Being the lazy barsteward that I am, I wouldnt cut any of them.
                Seriously, the inside joint is paper thin where it counts against the heat, the outside pfffff, who cares, just bog it up.
                The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Hey Colin,

Nice work so far mate. That's quality work!!

How much was the Hebel Wall Panel? That idea briefly crossed my mind when I was thinking about the stand but I didn't follow through with it.

Another tip for the arch forms if nobody has already mentioned it.

Nail or clamp two pieces of plywood together. Then mark out the arch and cut it out with a jigsaw. unclamp or pull out the nails and there you have it. Two pieces exactly the same size. I also drilled the holes for the screws while they were clamped together. That way they should join up nicely when you screw it all together.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers,

Matt

Comment

Hi Matt

From memory the hebel panel was around the $75 mark x 2. The blocks for the stand were $7.20 each x 40 [600x150x200].

Probably much dearer than besser blocks + concrete fill etc., and a concrete hearth, but i will say this.... much much easier to work with.

Thanks for the compliment had to take a pause from work for R and R hopefully back to it this week. Joints got a little bigger than wanted on the next course [havent taken photos yet]. So have STOPPED taken stock, to work that out, to get back on track. When i say bigger got to 4 mm some bricks were a little narrower making this more awkward. I have worked out if i sort the bricks i can use common sizes throughout.

Thats what i did with my inner arch but had some serious issues with my jigsaw. Bloody used the wrong blade and it did not quite handle the thickness very well, cutting more on an angle which i think Bricky picked up in one of my earlier photos.
                    Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-06-2013, 05:41 PM.
                    Cheers Colin

Comment

Hi Russell

Now i'm curious i have noticed a template you have used to allow you to form the outer shape [perlite/vermi layer] and now a round float.

I also noticed that you have used silver foil or something similar what is this? --------as i was thinking of using sisalation [as we call it over here, lines the frame of houses] over the cermamic blanket too but noticed not many do use this.

Is this necessary? Why did you use it?
                      Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post

Now i'm curious i have noticed a template you have used to allow you to form the outer shape [perlite/vermi layer] and now a round float.
                        Check Gulfs build out for the ultimate in vermicrete formers. (Page 22 and on...)
                        Last edited by brickie in oz; 05-07-2013, 12:28 AM.
                        The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Colin,

I copied Gulf's process as far as a template but used it more as a eyeball gauge. The curved trowel, which was attached in Gulf's build but separate in my build but the idea is the same. I just eyeballed mine more.

The reinforced foil came on my CF that I bought, it is Superwool that was enclosed in a foil cover. It caused quite a bit of discussion as I was installing. Look at my thread to see. In the end I ended up perforating the foil so any moisture could migrate out. I took stock in the advice of Forum members.
                          Russell
                          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks Guys

Interesting reading is Gulfs build. I intend using shiralite 25-30mm layer immediately over the dome when finished then applying the Ceramic Blanket 50mm [? 75mm].

I believe shiralite is a mix of perlite vermiculate refractory cement and something else that makes it quite a smooth finish. Just add water and apply.

Argghhh mothers day this weekend wont get anything done again.
                            Cheers Colin

Comment

Check the insulating value of the shiralite. I think you will find the blanket is a much better insulator. You are best to use the blanket first then the shiralite.it will even out the lumps and bumps in the blanket and make the outer shell easier to do.
                              Shiralite is a fancier version of vermicrete.
                              Last edited by david s; 05-08-2013, 02:13 PM.
                              Kindled with zeal and fired with passion.

Comment

Hi david

Was thinking someone would comment on that. I actually spoke with a furnace/oven builder, and we had a lengthy discussion about this [which order]. The conclusion revolved around compression of the blanket and some other factors i just cannot recall. I haven't decided yet, but what i was told made sense. The shirlite first might also aid in crack prevention. But i do understand about maintaining the shape but am sure i could achieve that with render and gauge like gulf and russell used.
                                Cheers Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X