Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new build in werribee

HI all

Well back onto the oven after 3 weeks of ....well....... nothing oven related, some r and r, my little girl leaving to go to London town for I don't know how long but up to 2 years [will miss her very much], my birthday and back at work. One good thing, the boss of all things bought me an infrared thermometer for my birthday. Did well 1200c unit. Will post photos of progress later tonight.
    Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-10-2013, 11:41 PM.
    Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

And finished and started the next course laying two bricks, arch bricks and loaded some more photos.

I also found out that if you try and knock them into place and they are a little tight, previously set and dried bricks will move arrrggghhhhhhhh

Didn't like this course made a few boo boos due to bricks being odd sizes, some joints are thicker than I was wanting, but next course will be better have a new strategy.

Also added photo from my break. A shot from Boyntons Winery whilst necking a bottle of red and nibbling on some bread, pate, cheese, olives and dips. That's mount buffalo in the back ground. Would be a great location for a very large commercial pizza oven.
      Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-11-2013, 02:20 AM.
      Cheers Colin

Comment

That's the first I have seen a form built like that, looks like it is working well. Does it come apart or will you let it burn in the end? By the way, your brick work looks a lot better then mine so far. Bruce
        Link to my build here:
        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/3...lly-19181.html

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1168565...g&noredirect=1

sigpic “In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein

Comment

Hi Bruce

I can interchange the form with my IT. I changed the form today so that it is two piece. The wood you see screwed to the side holds the two pieces together.

I will put wing nuts on so I can easily undo and interchange between the IT I needed the two form pieces when I get further up the dome, as you pointed out I would not have been able to get it out. I was going to use hinges might still do that.

I am going for very tight joints on my dome as I am cutting the bricks so I have a brick to brick fit internally. So far it is working took ages though to work out how to achieve this and allow 2-3 mm high temp mortar at the rear.

Also Bruce I had to use the form as the dome is lower than true hemispherical, my IT is adjustable so I have been laying a couple of Bricks using form then setting the IT to these bricks once dried and away I go. The pivot point is simply a 1inch nail though a turntable.
          Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-11-2013, 05:33 AM.
          Cheers Colin

Comment

Very interesting approach. Look forward to watching your progress.

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post

I am going for very tight joints on my dome as I am cutting the bricks so I have a brick to brick fit internally. So far it is working took ages though to work out how to achieve this and allow 2-3 mm high temp mortar at the rear.
            Are you using hombrew or premix mortar. I am using a premix and could use any hints.
            Link to my build here:

sigpic “In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein

Comment

Originally posted by Bec1208 View Post
              I am using a premix and could use any hints.
              Are you still having trouble with the mortar Bruce?
              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Brickie, I will move this over to my thread. Thanks, Bruce
                Link to my build here:

Comment

Hi guys

Well I got up early so I could lay a few bricks [Mothers day] and got 5 bricks layed in the time I had before I needed to go out. Was a waste of time as I was rushing and had to pull the last two up as the mortar was being sucked dry giving me not time to place.

Got bored when I got home late and decided to set some bricks up on the form to gauge the slop angles and get an idea of what it will look like pick below.

Looks like I will have a miniature plug if you look at the second photo there is a black mark just before the pencil line which marks the centre of the dome form. That black mark is about 15mm from centre line. So plug will be around 30mm or less at the top. Worked out if I turn the standard 75mm fire brick on course 9 into a split it will give me a bigger key.
                  Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-12-2013, 05:52 AM.
                  Cheers Colin

Comment

Hi All

Does anyone know of any thread or WFO builder that attached a double skinned flue that didn't have a housing. Have been searching without success.
                    Cheers Colin

Comment

Gudday Colin
                      Sorry to ask .....what is the "housing" in relationship to a double skin flue?
                      Regards dave
                      Last edited by cobblerdave; 05-13-2013, 12:55 PM.
                      Measure twice
                      Cut once
                      Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                      My Door
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Hi dave

What i meant was i am not enclosing the oven in a housing. It will be an igloo out in the weather.

I am trying to find anyone that has installed a double skinned flue to there vent. I havent been able to find any.

I know most just use a single flue length, but my thinking is the double skinned will operate better.
                        Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                          Hi dave

I know most just use a single flue length, but my thinking is the double skinned will operate better.
                          Oasiscdm,
                          It is still a little confusing. Are you referring to double walled pipe, or two sections of single walled pipe?
                          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

hi gulf

one 8" pipe inside a 10" pipe. Attached to plate at the vent and cowl and rain shroud at top. The outer skin insulates the inner active flue [also stops little handsies from getting burnt].

In australia they are called double skinned flues, we also have triple skinned flues used when going through a structure. I'm not going through a structure.

Hope that clears it up. I have searched every where and cannot find any examples. Search engine on forno is not that great useful but not great.
                            Last edited by oasiscdm; 05-13-2013, 06:42 PM.
                            Cheers Colin

Comment

Gudday Colin
                              Double skinned chimneys are needed when Its used in a structure weather a house or pergola or inclosure to prevent the heat from pipe to the structure. There is a standard for this for sure .
                              2ndthing would be to prevent little hands from being burnt when they come in contact with the hot chimney.
                              The third thing they help (but not entirely)with is condensation. A steel chimney goes cold and condensation forms. It hangs up there along with the soot and lighting a fire only disturbs it and the whole wet mess will drop down usually killing the fire below. ( my Nan's wood stove suffered from it she always put a last stick of wood in it at night)
                              Hope something here helps
                              Regards dave
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once
                              Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                              My Door
                              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Thanks Dave. Much appreciated.

What i am after though is - has anybody in forno world attached a double skinned flue to and igloo style oven. I'm intersted in ideas for attaching it to the vent of a WFO.

The single flue is not a problem plenty of info on this in forno world, but its the double skin - 8" inside a 10" outer shell - attached to the vent landing, that i cannot find any information on. Any clues or ideas is what i am after.
                                Cheers Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X