My Door
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

• Re: new build in werribee

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
        Gudday
        I think you will find the term "breech birth" appropriate
        Regards dave
        The southern (USA) redneck translation for that medical term is "bassacards"
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

All You guys crack me up

Least it was a breach birth and not a plumbers crack
          Cheers
          Damon

Build #1

Build #2 (Current)

Comment

Hi Guys

Thought I would post some daylight photo's of where I am at. I haven't had a chance last 2 Saturdays to do anything on oven and only getting a half day each weekend for last 3 weeks. Would like to get past arch transition before I have two long weekends in July in a row.

Any tips [before morning] from all the experts [that have been at this point ] out there for tackling the next course would be greatly appreciated. I believe it is the course that will complete the dome arch transition.

Thanks in advance
            Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Slow progress today. Took me ages to work out the transition angles and dreaded droop with quite a few bricks trashed. Templates cut etc.

In the end I worked it out by using a straight brick instead of the arch brick and cut that to fit worked a treat. No droop no little brick bits or mass of mortar [except at back due to cutting back of brick off instead of tapering, put a wedge in to reduce mortar what you see is external]. I even managed to maintain the brick to brick internal fit. But only got one side of the arch done as I did some other stuff in garden while waiting for bricks to take hold.

My adjusted IT works a treat also to maintain height and I might get it permanently set up to do this especially on the lower courses that are left b4 getting vertical.
              Last edited by oasiscdm; 06-23-2013, 06:22 AM.
              Cheers Colin

Comment

Really nice work. Looks fantastic. Bruce
                Link to my build here:
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f6/3...lly-19181.html

Check out my pictures here:

Selected pictures of the build.

https://picasaweb.google.com/1168565...g&noredirect=1

sigpic “In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are not.” ― Albert Einstein

Comment

Great job!
                  I like how you are using the floor as a reference point to remain level across the arch. A guide clamped to the IT .
                  Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
                    Great job!
                    I like how you are using the floor as a reference point to remain level across the arch. A guide clamped to the IT .
                    Thx Gulf

Had no choice I needed to work out what droop was doing [or going to do] so used the level to find out. Then thought why not clamp it to the IT. Work well to maintain the right height and level at transition point. Fluke really... wish I had have thought of it before the last course. Would not have had any droop at all.
                    Cheers Colin

Comment

Colin,
                      Just caught up on your thread, things are looking great. ???. By no means am I one of the experts around here. So this is probably only worth two cents???. I laid the bricks from center back to within one brick of the front arch. I then started with the center brick on the arch and worked to meet the other bricks, seemed to work well for me. I also used cardboard templates to help with cutting the bricks. Hope this helps.

I got scarred doing the ritual the way Russell and rsandler did. My version was the one arm and head version. I figured I could flag for help after the ladder fell, either way I would have probaly broken my back.
                      Respectfully,

KB

My build
                      Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Well i'm now past the arch no droop and will finish this course over next weekend then get the grinder out and grind back some misaligned bricks.

Thx KB decided to do the arch transition first as once I set up IT with vertical height gauge it all made perfect sense so I thought I would get it out the way. Did take your advice on cardboard templates worked a treat and very accurate.

I need some advice - I noticed yesterday a mortar joint failed in the arch [see first photos below]. Now I am wondering if it is worth grinding out some mortar and repointing it or leave well alone?

Also decided time to clean working space, so vacuumed inside of dome, used air hose to get rid of all the dust, let that settle then hosed the deck with high pressure cleaner.
                        Last edited by oasiscdm; 06-23-2013, 11:36 PM.
                        Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
                          I need some advice - I noticed yesterday a mortar joint failed in the arch [see first photo below]. Now I am wondering if it is worth grinding out some mortar and repointing it or leave well alone?
                          Hey guys.

Need to know what the consensus is on my question above.
                          Cheers Colin

Comment

Cant hurt to try can it, worst case scenario it will crack again.
                            My build. http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ton-18665.html

Comment

Thx Wayne

Yeah I thought that too but was hoping to hear naaahhhhh leave it alone. But will grind it out and re-point.

Thought I would post some photo's with the dome gauge back in place and was surprised how damn close it is to accurate, how easy it was to get it in. Looks like my dome is now at its maximum height with 5 and a bit courses left. Will need to cut a couple of bricks to thinner sizes to accommodate a reasonable sized Keystone.

With this weekend coming then 2 3 day weekends after that, hopefully will get to keystone or close over next 3 weekends. fingers crossed

__________________________________________________ _______________________________________

I have another question. I have noticed that some builds have placed some sort of tie on their domes to tie in the insulation blanket.

Is this necessary? if so how would you go about it in the situation that I am going to put a coat of Shiralite over the dome prior to the Blanket?
                              Last edited by oasiscdm; 06-26-2013, 04:55 AM.
                              Cheers Colin

Comment

Nice work Collin. As far as the crack in the arch, I have one similar, yes I look at it then decide leave well enough alone, adds character plus it is on you inner arch too where it is not as obvious. Oven cook fine with or without the crack. But is up to you. I used rebar wire to hold down my insulation and then the chicken wire. I fasten the rebar wire to TapCons (concrete screw) drilled in at strategic spots. You can see the wire and chicken wire on my picassa link. Good job
                                Russell
                                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
                                X