Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: new build in werribee

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
    I guess no body else has...because I can.. I have spent a lot of time Admiring Gianni's soap stone and it just looks very clean. So if I polished the floor it would be much easier to clean.
    This only half correct...you can, but I have already I done it. I used a wet polisher on the floor BEFORE I built the dome.

I wasn't trying to achieve a polish though....this was about functionality. The bricks that I used are very rough on the surface and I wanted to close them up, and eliminate drag. I used 50 grit to knock it down then 100 to 200 for the final finish.

How firebricks turn out when trying to achieve a high gloss...I can't tell you, because in all honesty, I see little that can be gained by doing it, so I never tried. When I start the next oven I'll play around and see how it turns out.

But whatever floats your boat....if that is what you want to do, do it. There's no right or wrong on this point.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

I would rather be cooking and eating!

Comment

Wow.. Didnt expect that. All good info. Especially the cooking and eating comment [laurentis].

Stonecutter any chance of b4 and after photo's of the floor. 50 100 200 is where i was going with the floor if i proceed. Dome was more about just a tidy up.

Bec120 thankyou mush appreciated.

Deejayoh - yes i'm a little anal. When you look at Gianni's - and i know you want him to get his dirty - it just looks so damn good.

Crocau if that happens grinding a little more is still possible. I will still be able to get in via the landing area if not will send son in.
        Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

No pics for that sorry. It was a very understated change...you could feel the difference rather than see it, though when I was looking at it from a low angle, I could see the smoothness.
          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

One thing...even a polished brick won't hold a candle to soapstone.

I did all the countertops in my other house in soapstone, and I was planning to build my dome out of SS bricks ( floor with firebrick) up until we decided to sell. Maybe I'll get to do one someday....pricey, but pretty.
            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Thanks for that stonecutter
              Cheers Colin

Comment

Today's efforts one row and plug left.

Last photo checking out last course.
                Last edited by oasiscdm; 08-17-2013, 02:14 AM.
                Cheers Colin

Comment

Colin,

Doing any thing fancy to the plug as the crowning finish?
                  Russell
                  Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Been trying to think of something. Actually bought a die grinder. Not specifically for that purpose. Any suggestions?

How did you do yours. Was a little Sun sign wasn't it.?
                    Last edited by oasiscdm; 08-17-2013, 07:47 AM.
                    Cheers Colin

Comment

Was thinking of a Japanese symbol, of some sought. To fit with Japanese garden theme.
                      Am not very artistic, leave that to my partner she does oil paintings, portraits, still life's etc.
                      Cheers Colin

Comment

that is some serious commitment with the no mortar approach, love your work.
                        i'm quite happy with my brickwork but you taking it few steps further.
                        you got to hurry up so you get some food coming out of it soon

Comment

I used a dremel type tool with a diamond etching tip. The sun was a stencil I had made for another project, just stenciled the brick, etch with dremel then slurried etched area with a contrasting Portland slurry and wiped off. Have fun, it will be a nice touch to you build and you can peek in and see it everytime your dome clears........

Tip, don't make to intricate, the bricks do not seem to handle really detailed designs to well due to the coarseness of the brick material.
                          Russell
                          Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Think I have it russell. Will pm you so surprise for others.

Thanks crocau, yes it has been difficult to achieve, as Russell pointed out one in his thread every brick needs to be cut meticulously, so the fancy jig helped a lot but still needed adjustment with shims it's not perfect [patience got to me on occasions].

I am going to run a slurry over surface and then buff off, short of polishing hopefully do that today with clay and cement just to close the more open joins.
                            Cheers Colin

Comment

With the expansion under heat I would wait till after you cured and had few full fires

Comment

Hi Crocau

Good point!!!!
                                Cheers Colin

Comment

Working...
                                X