My Wood fired Redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Wood fired Redux

Looking forward to seeing the final product.
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks Russell. It's raining again today, forecast is the same for tomorrow, it's unbelievable this year...I should have started a rice field.
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

What I wouldn't give for some rain. 100+ and humid to boot.

Comment

Yeah, last year, it was in the high 90's to low 100's from April-Sept and hardly any rain. I would rather have this than last year, even though it has cost me many working days on the WFO.

The upside is that the garden is producing like crazy...especially the Jalapenos.
          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

stonecutter,
            this has been a great thread to follow. you are wonderfully creative and truly a master at the stone work.

thanks for adding this to the forum. keep posting the pics!!!
            jon
            jon

Comment

Thanks for the compliment Jon.
              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                The upside is that the garden is producing like crazy...especially the Jalapenos.
                I've got some Goathorn peppers going mad. I'm quite looking forward to pickling them for pizza.

If you haven't tried these on pizza yet, you're missing out. Everybody raves about homemade italian sausage and hot pepper pizza
                My build progress
                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                  I've got some Goathorn peppers going mad. I'm quite looking forward to pickling them for pizza.

If you haven't tried these on pizza yet, you're missing out. Everybody raves about homemade italian sausage and hot pepper pizza
                  I don't think I've tried that variety before...but I'm a sucker for the briny goodness of pickled anything. I make an Italian sausage and pepperoncini pie that is a crowd (and one of my) favorites.

We have Jalapeno,Habanero, and Cayenne pepper growing now, I think I'll get some of those Goat Horns to add to the garden...my wife cans and pickles so maybe I can get her to do some like the ones in your link.

I have a Scoville chart that shows these @ 2000 units..about double of a Pepperoncini.
                  Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Hmmm..a post of mine about my future patio seems to have vanished.

Anyway, progress is being made.

The oven is insulated with 4"-6" of mineral wool....now that the enclosure is dried in I don't have to worry about rain water.

I finished the roof framing, got the plywood and paper on. Now I need to run the flue through the roof so I can install and flash the chimney. Probably going to be a brick veneer because of weight. After that, cedar shakes go on. I think the brick and the cedar will compliment each other, plus I wanted to get more brick in the design to work with the vault.

Got all the durock sheathing installed except an upper potion of the back gable, and all the wood trim is stained/sealed. I'll start picking away at the stone veneer as time allows. I'm doing more granite work above the arch so that will take a little more time too.

This weekend is the official oven kickoff with no rain in site....15 people, so probably about 20 10" pizzas and some Stromboli. I always send some home with everyone.
                    Last edited by stonecutter; 07-16-2013, 06:23 PM.
                    Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

20 pizzas for 15 peeps! Hungry crowd. I find that I always seem to serve 2 pizzas per 3 people. But there are never leftovers. I need to get some take home boxes.
                      My build progress
                      My WFO Journal on Facebook
                      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

We like to serve small pizzas, mainly because we make many different kinds. I would say 15-20 would be the max. When the eating slows down, I make a few more, then what ever dough and ingredients are left get turned into Stromboli. It works out good because by that point I have been letting the oven cool down.

I'm pretty rusty though, I haven't used a wfo for a few years...pizza has been made in the home oven.
                        Last edited by stonecutter; 07-17-2013, 03:57 AM.
                        Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Can't wait to see the final product. Your guests are definitely in for a treat! I noticed in your previous pictures you framed up your structure with wood instead of steel... Was that just temporary? All the threads i've read said that enclosed structures should have steel and not wood. What are your thoughts?
                          Loren

My Build - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...ney-19648.html

SLOB - Salt Lake Oven Builders - For WFO builders in Utah - Join here http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/grou...-builders.html

Comment

Originally posted by the_dr_masuess View Post
                            .......I noticed in your previous pictures you framed up your structure with wood instead of steel... Was that just temporary? All the threads i've read said that enclosed structures should have steel and not wood. What are your thoughts?
                            No, the frame is not a temporary structure. I have used wood framing on all the ovens I have built except one, but that one still had a timber frame roof.

My thoughts are this.
                            It is obvious that FB has put a great deal of effort into the WFO movement with their Pompeii plans, and homogenized the building process in a way that ANYONE can build an oven. Considering that (it seems) almost all the people that follow these plans are not professional masons or even in the construction field, that is no small accomplishment....and one that is very cool.

That said, it makes sense to recommend only steel or masonry for the enclosure, because of the many variables that are involved in the build as a whole...one of which is inexperienced builders. It is not realistic or practical to think a novice builder can explain problems and then be walked through every tiny bit of minutia of a project. And if they don't have the experience to know what to do, then the way to go would be the way that is most forgiving to critical error....in this case, a non-combustible frame. And even if the builder is an expert, maybe they don't like the idea of a burnable frame.

The oldest freestanding, outdoor oven I have built is 9 years old. But I have worked on many historic beehive ovens (indoor..next to the fireplace) and fireplaces that are built around timber framing. The oldest one was 1692...321 years next to hot masonry is pretty respectable.

I know what good clearances are, how to plan the build to include them, and understand the dynamics of how these two materials interplay. There is zero reservation on my part when it comes to framing with wood.

However, I have never recommended doing so on this forum, and I never will. This is simply because you can't make the same mistakes with metal studs, CMU or stucco cladding. And, why even go that route if all the other ways produce the same results? It is a simple case of best practice.

Why do I do it then? Because it's strong, fast, easier to frame with, and I can. My personal feeling is that if I build in such a way that the oven damages the framing, then the job as a whole is garbage and a failure....it should be re-built. Burn baby burn.

That said, I appreciate the feedback.
                            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

I also framed mine with wood and didn't think twice about it. If the fire is leaking out of the oven, it is a tear down anyway you look at it. That said, I did brick the entire face and made lap joints at the expansion joints of the oven.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                                I also framed mine with wood and didn't think twice about it. If the fire is leaking out of the oven, it is a tear down anyway you look at it.
                                Yep....my exact view point too..

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                                My personal feeling is that if I build in such a way that the oven damages the framing, then the job as a whole is garbage and a failure....it should be re-built. Burn baby burn.
                                Last edited by stonecutter; 07-17-2013, 04:41 PM.
                                Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
                                X