My Wood fired Redux

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: My Wood fired Redux

That is a nice looking New Haven style pizza!

Comment

A simple set up for pizza night...we had a lot of young kids that night, so there wasn't some of the more 'foodie' type ingredients typical of what we usually like to do. I still can't find any of those great containers that you have Tscar....all our local Wallys don't carry them. I will probably order some online.

That pesto is homemade, with Basil from our garden.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1639.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	296679

We make our sauce with Cento canned tomatoes, olive oil, a little dried basil, salt to taste.

Name:	IMG_1640.JPG
Size:	183.6 KB
ID:	296680
      Last edited by stonecutter; 08-16-2013, 07:42 AM.
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

Looks good SC. No need to grind rice to get rice flour. It's easily available at asian groceries, or look for the "Bob's Red Mill" flours. The nice thing about rice flour is that it doesn't burn like wheat - but I agree it's super easy to launch pies with regular flour.
        My build progress
        My WFO Journal on Facebook
        My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Thanks DJO. My wife is up on all the gluten free stuff, she writes a blog dedicated to GF/low carb and creates recipes. I have heard her mention Bob's Red Mill..I think she did some freelance recipe development for them too.

I think I would just dust the peel with the GF flour for the sake of simplicity. But I am looking forward to experimenting with the flour we bought. I see KA has a GF flour, I will try that soon.

Have any of you used that brand of flour for GF crust?
          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

I haven't tried the GF stuff - but if you are looking for other GF recipes - I am a big fan of "farinata" (aka "socca") - which is a crust/crepe like creation made of chickpea flour, olive oil, water, and salt. Always a crowd pleaser!
            Farinata - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
            My build progress
            My WFO Journal on Facebook
            My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

That's great thanks! We love chickpeas...my wife makes a killer hummus. That creation looks very delicious.

One side of my family is Italian( Mom is only second gen in the states)....from Lioni and Naples, so I am more familiar with that style of cuisine (Campania Region ) and use of Garbanzo beans. I feel fortunate to have a heritage that aligns with my interests!

I'm sure this thread is going to morph into what is coming out of the oven soon.
              Last edited by stonecutter; 08-16-2013, 11:07 AM.
              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

That pic in post #205 is great! make me want to build another one -
                once I heal from the last one.

Aceves build re-routed the vent to exit at center of the oven. Good ideas!
                texman
                Texman Kitchen
                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

That one is in France, but the chimney is built like a Neapolitan oven, with the flue running along the roof of the dome. It's a really cool oven, I especially like the carved stone on the outer opening.
                  Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

I really like your craftsmanship of the build.

Comment

I'm stalled out on the build, tied up with too many other things right now. No time until the week of the 2nd, so no build pics for a while. Here's where I'm at with the chimney.....scratch and brown coats.

Name:	IMG_1636.JPG
Size:	209.6 KB
ID:	296874
                      Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

We got a hold of some Caputo 00, KA whole wheat and gluten free for an oven burn tomorrow. Looking forward to trying the 00 especially.
                        Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                          We got a hold of some Caputo 00, KA whole wheat and gluten free for an oven burn tomorrow. Looking forward to trying the 00 especially.
                          let us know how it turns out and what dough measurements you used... I tried out two different doughs yesterday and they were pretty similar. I was cooking in my grill at about 650 degrees. I looked on the dough thread but I didn't find that helpful.
                          Loren

My Build - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/n...ney-19648.html

SLOB - Salt Lake Oven Builders - For WFO builders in Utah - Join here http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/grou...-builders.html

Comment

For dough and things of that nature, pizzamaking.com is much more useful than this site.

Comment

Did a test WW pizza, sorry no pics. Different, kind of dry...not in a bad way. Maybe a little more water next time. I read somewhere that WW doesn't like high heat....I can see that, the bottom cooked pretty fast. I had to finish it off by doming it, otherwise it would have been burnt.

Tomorrow should be interesting, the WW pies will be unconventional as far as toppings anyway, so different is O.K. I won't be using the Caputo, we're having less people so I made the regular KAAP.
                              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Got myself set up for the stone work on the surround. Unfortunately, I am tied up until next week...oh well. Thought some of you might want to see the stone I am working with, before it goes up.

Most of it is leftovers off a couple projects, and I am going to do a free-form style...which suits how rough these stones are.

Name:	IMG_1645.JPG
Size:	177.6 KB
ID:	297138

Name:	IMG_1646.JPG
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	297139

Name:	IMG_1647.JPG
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	297140
                                Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Working...
                                X