Michigan WFO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Michigan WFO

It doesn't look promising, Daren. You? I'm really discouraged with this weather. I just need a few good days off. Every day off rains or is cold. I hate looking out the window from work at warm sunshine.
    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
    My oven build thread

Comment

I'm in the same boat, man. Just a nice day or two and I can get the roof tiles on. It's probably too cold to finish the stucco anymore. They say it might snow on Saturday!
      Picasa web album
      Oven-building thread

Comment

What temps are safe to stucco? How about brick, stone, and mortar?
        Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
        My oven build thread

Comment

Quikrete surface bonding cement (stucco) will withstand up to 300 degrees farenheit acoording to their help line... Hope this helps,, It is also a one coat process

Cheers
          Mark

Comment

Surewall surface bonding cement- Do not apply below 40 degrees or above 90 degrees. http://www.resarch.com/bonsalamerica...s/SURFACEB.PDF

Comment

I am mortaring stone veneer. What do you think if I put it on during the day (temps above 40 degrees), but it drops into the 30's at night?
              Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
              My oven build thread

Comment

on our Help Line at 1-800-282-5828 to inquire about specific QUIKRETE? products and where to buy them, order product literature or obtain expert advice on concrete projects.
                Here is the number for quikrete,,, they are very helpful and Im sure they can answer that question if someone here cant

Comment

I know the Quikrete surface bonding cement that I'm using says not to use it if the temps fall below 40 within 24 hours.
                  Picasa web album
                  Oven-building thread

Comment

Do you think it helps if I use warm water to mix the mortar? (Can't blame a guy for trying)
                    Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                    My oven build thread

Comment

I would hold off on mortaring if you know you will have a freeze. I am REALLY hoping for an indian summer, so just wait a few days!
                      This may not be my last wood oven...

Comment

You can always build a plastic tent and use a space heater.....

Comment

Patience, it will warm up. We are freezing our butts off here in southern Alberta, no one remembers it to have been this cold this early. I am still trying to get my forno framed in, not stucco for me this year though.

Comment

Well, If I could offer some advice, it's to follow other people's advice!

I searched hard to find the answers I wanted to hear. The Quickrete 1800 number said the temps needed to be above 50 for 24 hours after using. The mix I'm using, though, is Pakmix Stone Veneer mortar. This mix said to use only if temps are greater than 40 and rising.

On Saturday, as soon as it hit 40, I started to put up some stone. I thought if I had a nice warm fire that could radiate some heat, then cover at night with a tarp, the walls might stay toasty. Too much damn insulation! The walls never get warm. I quit mid afternoon when the temps started dropping again. I definitely noticed a difference. The mortar did not stick well. That evening, two stone dropped (temps went into the 20's!!). I think it was a mistake. I hope to have a few nice days yet to wrap up the stone work. I'll focus on the roof until then.
                            Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                            My oven build thread

Comment

I put some decorative brick down (Old Detroit Brick) as an entrance to the oven. Thanks for the ideas, Daren. I'm a total hack!
                              Mike - Saginaw, MI

Picasa Web Album
                              My oven build thread

Comment

The stone work looks really nice. That's what we're hoping to do with ours.

Joe
                                Joe

Member WFOAMBA Wood Fired Oven Amatueur Masons Builders America

My thread: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/j...oven-8181.html

Comment

Working...
                                X