Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tscarborough
    replied
    Re: 81 Inch First Build (and first post)

I think that the soapstone alone is too thick for a casual oven, certainly no need for firebrick under it.

Leave a comment:

• Dagored154
    replied

Hey windage. It was recommended to me that I ask you a question about soapstone. I have a great supply of 3.5" thick, 4" wide by 9" soapstone bricks that I would like to use for a cooking surface. I bought the FB board and put that down first and am wondering if I should put full firebrick next and then the soapstone laid inside the dome. what do you think?

Leave a comment:

• Dagored154
    replied

what do you think of this soapstone for a cooking floor?

Leave a comment:

• Laku
    replied

Picture doesn't work. You can't link it from facebook.

Leave a comment:

• Dagored154
    replied

Here is a photo of the soapstone

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

Originally posted by Dagored154 View Post
    The second amendment protects the first admendment. there is a good reason they are 1 and 2. based on what I see here I am going to put my 3.5" soapstone bricks on top of FB Board and put splits on top of the soapstone in order to have a layer that I can cut to fit inside the dome and will be easy to replace. However, more second guessing, i doubt I will ever hurt the soapstone.
    I have, after 2 years of hard evening pizza baking, finally found a crack in one of the soapstone slabs...from heat? From poor support underneath? My perlcrete was laid up wet under the bricks, but then I added a layer of dry between my thermal mass bricks and my soapstone...wish I hadn't.
    Rog
    Last edited by windage; 07-16-2012, 04:13 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Dagored154
    replied

The second amendment protects the first admendment. there is a good reason they are 1 and 2. based on what I see here I am going to put my 3.5" soapstone bricks on top of FB Board and put splits on top of the soapstone in order to have a layer that I can cut to fit inside the dome and will be easy to replace. However, more second guessing, i doubt I will ever hurt the soapstone.

Leave a comment:

• SableSprings
    replied

oven still doing well, business is growing. Attempting to do a naturally leavened dough using General Mill's "Harvest King" flour, as I can't seem to be able to buy King Arthur's "sir Gallahad" around here...
    We had a taste/working test of several flours for pizza dough a few years back and settled on the Harvest King as the winner (certainly the best flour consistently available in our area). Also have found that it's great for bread and is now the only white flour I use for my baking (currently baguettes, sourdough, & breadsticks). I know there are lots of folks that swear by the caputo for pizza and high protein flours for bread, but at $25-$30 for 50 pounds, the Harvest King can't be beat (IMO).

Below are some pics of my last baguettes, sticks, and the bottom of a "test" sweet potato, yam, garlic, Asiago cheese pizza (all using Harvest King).
    Last edited by SableSprings; 01-23-2012, 01:06 PM.

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

love those thin sliced tomatoes !!1

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d1...n/2725f2e5.jpg

My wife Julie with a typical pie

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

Moose, we love the soapstone floor, money (lots) well spent. It is holding up well, no pits and cleans very easily.

Leave a comment:

• smallholder123
    replied

build is coming on just fine i just cut my arch bricks today and they are fantastic
    cut my soldiers yesterday and couldn't be happier they form a perfect circle without hardly any gap I hope our pizza place is a busy as i have heard yours is and I am only ending up with a 48 inch internal cooking floor but it only seats about 20 people so should be big enough

Leave a comment:

• windage
    replied

Smallholder123, I don't know of any Campbells in my heritage, but they come from both Scotland; Gilliam and Germany; Jahn...
    How is the build coming on the 53"?

There has been heat in my oven for 512 days....
    Rog

Leave a comment:

• smallholder123
    replied

fantastico it gives me goose bumps and really takes any fear out of starting my own 53inch this week i was hoping for a 60 inch but the room just isn't big enough great build and on a compleatly different note you related to any Campbells you look like a much younger version of my dad merry christmas

Leave a comment:

Working...
X