Show us your Door Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Show us your Door Thread

There are lots of questions about oven doors, but no official door thread. I thought it would be useful to consolidate a bunch of examples that showed different ways to build oven doors.

I'll start it off!

Door material:
    Face is HOT ROLL SHEET / PLATE 0.060" (16 GA) Hot Rolled STEEL
    Thermometer protector is HOT ROLL TUBE - SQUARE
    0.625" OD x 0.065" Wall A36 Hot Rolled Mild Steel Square Tube

Insulation: Two inches of ceramic fiber blanket

Handles: Gate handles purchased from Home Depot. I was cautioned about using metal but they don't seem to get hot.

Cost: ~$55 if I don't count the welder. About $25 for the metal from Onlinemetals.com; $5 for the handles; $25 for the thermometer (from our hosts); Insulation was leftover from build

Weight: 10 pounds

How it's built: I cut the metal with a metal blade in a jigsaw. Outside plate was based on my entry arch form less 1/2 inch all the way around. The inside plate was based on my oven opening arch less 1/4" all the way around. I cut a 2" strip of steel to go around the outside and welded the whole thing together with a HF cheapy welder that I bought off of craigslist. The door was the first thing I ever welded - and it took a lot of grinding to get it smooth, but it came out pretty well. Took an afternoon to weld it.

How does it work: Pretty well. My temperature ramp about 100 degrees loss a day from the oven; third day temps are in the 250-300 degree range. Thermometer reliably reads 50 degrees lower than the temp my IR thermometer shows for the inside of the oven.

Favorite thing about the door: the weight.

What would I do to improve my door design: I could have made it deeper. Making it 2 1/2 or 3 inches deep would have given more insulation and not cost any more or taken any more time. And I still might add some rope gasket around the door to get a better seal.

EDIT: I finally added the gasket and let me say, it makes a HUGE difference in heat retention. I used a single strip of Lavalock felt gasket tape, and my oven is now hot a week after i have a fire. It's 600 degrees the next morning, Incredible difference!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n319955[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=CONFIG]n319956[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]n319957[/ATTACH]
    Last edited by deejayoh; 07-17-2013, 02:30 PM. Reason: Add Chipsters question!
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Re: Show us your Door Thread

I will post about my doors a little later...
    How about answering the question, What would I do to improve on my door design?
    Chip

Comment

Here's my door:
      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f9/k...door-3118.html
      Ken H. - Kentucky
      42" Pompeii

Pompeii Oven Construction Video Updated!

Oven Thread ... Enclosure Thread
      Cost Spreadsheet ... Picasa Web Album

Comment

My door is very similar to DJs except made from stainless steel and cut with a plasma cutter. My cost was a six pack to the welder, the other materials I salvaged or scrounged with the exception of the Fu dog which I brought back from the Great Wall in China. Stuffed with leftover CF too. Weighs about 11 lbs. Hold temp similar to DJ. I would also make slightly deeper for more insulation.
        Russell
        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Here is a link to mine. .062 aluminum filled w/ loose vermiculite. I think the copper on the handles was 14 ga. It's pretty light and retains the heat very well.

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/le...d-4207-13.html
          Check out my pictures here:
          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

My insulated door, its made from aluminium and has 40mm of cal sil inside.

My blast door.

The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

DJ, thanks for the great idea.

I have two doors one is heavily insulated and one is a window door (minimal insulation) for baking.

Insulated door----
              Materials
              Stainless steel interior and sides
              Aluminum exterior

Insulation
              4 inches FB board in door
              Rope gasket on flange

Handles
              Square U brackets cut in half and clothes closet rod cut for handles holes drilled in ends

out of pocket direct cost
              Rivets - $8.00
              Square U-bolts - $4.00
              Thermometer - $12.00 (eBay)
              Stainless - free from friend
              Aluminum - scrap from another project
              FB board - left over but value probably $35
              Wood overlay - left over from sauna build

Weight
              This thing is heavy - 17 pounds

how it is built
              I used an angle grinder with thin metal cutting abrasive disks. The metal cuts easily with this method.
              I made tabs which were bent over to then drill and rivet the panels together.
              Using the rivet method allowed me to custom fit the door to the opening, I was able to adjust the shape to closely fit the inner arch because I drilled and riveted the transition panel for a very close fit adjusting between each tab. See my post "Chip's 42 in Minnesota" for more details on the build.

How does it work
              I am very happy with the heat retention, in the summer I can be 250 at day 5 or 6.
              Thermometer reads consistently 100F low at high temps and 50F low at under 300 but I know that so "No problem". Probe should extend into oven further for proper read - but I think if it was to long it would get inthe way.

Favorite thing about the door
              It really holds in the heat.
              It is holding up well even after lots of use and 1.5 years of being outside the whole time.

what would I change
              I would attach the door handles to the exterior panel only. The handle posts go thru to the interior and transmit a lot of heat to the outside. (Note char on wood)
              I would have a thermometer with a larger dial so I could read it from a greater distance (old eyes).
              I am still trying to figure out a good place to put the door when I am not using it. It is big dirty and often hot and it is hard to find a good place to put it close but safe from little hands.

My window door

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...oor-18303.html

What would I change?
              Thermometer not needed for the window door

Sent from ipad so only one photo......
              Last edited by mrchipster; 07-18-2013, 04:33 AM.
              Chip

Comment

Here is my work in progress door.
                No handles yet, but will be wood (some sort --yet to be determined)
                Can be disassembled now to install insulation inside--yet not installed.
                Will have a (wood stove type) rope gasket around top sides when finished.
                Thermometer will be attached by threaded coupling in door.
                Not enough time to gather misc. supplies...

Photos attached:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2799a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	432.3 KB
ID:	296069

Name:	IMG_2800a.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	181.9 KB
ID:	296070

Name:	IMG_2801a.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	296071

My camera is over the hill- Canon cannot repair it and I'm too cheap to get another right now--some photos come with pink color--free!

Comment

Nice door mikku:
                  Is any part of it welded? Or is it all bent stainless steel with screws?

I'm just asking because I'm trying to build my door now but I have no idea how to weld and would like to make it without welds.

thanks, Dino
                  "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                  http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                  http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Nice selection! Keep 'em coming!

Dino - looking forward to seeing what you come up with. I'm sure it will be nice based on your oven build. Even though it didn't work for me, I still think that you could find someone through CL Gigs to weld a door if you've already cut the parts.
                    My build progress
                    My WFO Journal on Facebook
                    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by Dino_Pizza View Post
                      Nice door mikku:
                      Is any part of it welded? Or is it all bent stainless steel with screws?

I'm just asking because I'm trying to build my door now but I have no idea how to weld and would like to make it without welds.

thanks, Dino
                      Dino- there are a lot of welds.
                      The door is the result of some horse trading if you know the term.
                      My friend is a professional fabricator who needed some carpentry work done.
                      I did the carpentry work for free, he fabricated my door to my plans--for free.
                      I think that I got the better part of the deal...he has all the tools to fabricate any shape imaginable...works with steel, stainless steel, aluminum--also can weld food grade (like making a cooking vessel-welding one side and inside is a perfect weld as well) his work is amazing.. the door is what I thought I wanted--screws are for disassembly to install insulation--later will be sealed with the stove cement and rope. I hope for him to make some of my tools as well---just need him to order more carpentry projects!

Comment

Gudday
                        I have poor metal working skills so the door I use is carved from 2 inches of airated concrete block , hebel. The stuffs light soft and easy carved with woodworking tools chisels and rasped etc. The wood face is silasticed to the front and this remains cool I never have hot handles. You'll find a link at the bottom of the post
                        Hope something helps
                        Regards dave
                        Measure twice
                        Cut once
                        Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                        My Door
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Does it last a fair while ?

Comment

Gudday
                            Hate it when that happens
                            Regards dave
                            Last edited by cobblerdave; 07-19-2013, 09:04 PM.
                            Measure twice
                            Cut once

My Build
                            My Door

Comment

[QUOTE=cobblerdave;157519]Gudday
                              First one was an experiment that lasted 2 yrs and cause it still worked I never got around to making a better one. Made one for a friend so I made my current one which is a yr old. Hebels disadvantage is that its soft and chips easy. So unless you drop or treat it roughly you will get good use like me.
                              I could work well as a temporary door cause of the cheapness and ease of construction to allow you to use the oven whilst you make the door of your dreams
                              Regards dave[/QUOTEg
                              Measure twice
                              Cut once

My Build
                              My Door

Comment

Working...
                              X