Show us your Door Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Show us your Door Thread

Liteceeper, Very nice door and workmanship. My first door was about the same thickness (amount of insulation) but I found it unwieldy when loading multiple loaves of bread. Now if I want to hold extra heat overnight, I use both my new door (the steel one with wheels) and my old door together, then just switch to the single steel door during the bake. I brewed my own beer for over ten years, and I find for me, half the fun is improving the equipment. It's boring watching an electric train set go around the track once it is set up.

Comment

Wow, coming back to the tread after a few days... I see some great workmanship and ideas going on.

Cheers

Steve

Comment

Has anyone ever tried to use the glass from an oven door, or multiple glass from a commercially produced gas or electric oven to make a door for a WFO?

Am wondering if it is tempered making it impossible to cut after the tempering process. Would be really nice to have a full view door for baking times where the view is not distorted.

What did the old ovens in Europe use for doors in bygone days?

Sure is amazing to see the variations of doors members have fabricated to seal their ovens...all real works of art and the result of a lot of thinking! Gotta say "Wow" each time I see the masterpieces!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Rbhumbert View Post
          Liteceeper, Very nice door and workmanship. My first door was about the same thickness (amount of insulation) but I found it unwieldy when loading multiple loaves of bread. Now if I want to hold extra heat overnight, I use both my new door (the steel one with wheels) and my old door together, then just switch to the single steel door during the bake. I brewed my own beer for over ten years, and I find for me, half the fun is improving the equipment. It's boring watching an electric train set go around the track once it is set up.
          Thanks Rbhumbert, I know what you mean when baking bread even harder when you have no handles, but I have rectified that and door now works a treat. I also have a steel door and follow your method above.
          Liteceeper
          ~~~~~~~
          My Build - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ide-19729.html
          My Door - http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/9/sh...tml#post170496

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - Albert Einstein

Comment

Hey mikku

Am looking for tempered glass as we speak no luck yet. But will persist
            Cheers Colin

My Build - Index to Major Build Stages

Comment

Originally posted by oasiscdm View Post
              Am looking for tempered glass as we speak no luck yet. But will persist
              I think you want Borosilicate glass. It is pretty easy to find on ebay Borosilicate Glass Plate 150 mm x 150 mm x 5 mm Free Shipping | eBay and there are probably other suppliers too

If you are using a pyrex pot lid - they stopped making that product out of Borosilicate in 1998 and switched to normal glass. So you need to find old stuff at a garage sale because modern pyrex is not heat safe.
              My build progress
              My WFO Journal on Facebook
              My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Mine is a newer pot lid and seems to work fine... But I only use it for baking (550F) or lower with no live fire. I use it all year and have baked bread when it is -10F outside. No problems so far.
                Chip

Comment

Just found this thread.
                  Some terrific door ideas on here.
                  This is the next step to my build.
                  Got access to stainless steel, aluminium and good metalworking facilities at work.
                  Thinking of an aluminum shell about 3 to 4" depth to encase offcuts of Calsil board and CF blanket.
                  Flanged with 19mm fire rope fitted.
                  I've got a nice bit of T+G Oak floorboard at home for the front.
                  Also got some wrought iron decorative nails - might go for a "techno medievil" door.
                  Knocked up a temporary door from some of the formwork last weekend (1st cooking)
                  MDF covered in tin foil with some batten screwed on it. Went to pick it up on Monday and the top crumbled in my hand!!

Rambling on, but also just wanted to bump this great thread, so i can find it easily.

Comment

had the same problem with my temp door covered in alfoil. Went to move it and guess what? all that was left was the foil no wood.
                    Cheers Colin

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                      I think you want Borosilicate glass. It is pretty easy to find on ebay Borosilicate Glass Plate 150 mm x 150 mm x 5 mm Free Shipping | eBay and there are probably other suppliers too

If you are using a pyrex pot lid - they stopped making that product out of Borosilicate in 1998 and switched to normal glass. So you need to find old stuff at a garage sale because modern pyrex is not heat safe.
                      thx Dennis
                      Cheers Colin

Comment

Hi folks,

I'm looking at how to make my door.

I see some people have used aluminium. I read that the melting point of aluminium is around 660 Celsius. Isn't that a little close to the temps we might get in our ovens? I'm not thinking of using sheet aluminium for the internal surface, but was considering using aluminium rivets.

Any thoughts?
                        My oven on a pallet build thread

Comment

Originally posted by di11on View Post
                          Hi folks,

I'm looking at how to make my door.

I see some people have used aluminium. I read that the melting point of aluminium is around 660 Celsius. Isn't that a little close to the temps we might get in our ovens? I'm not thinking of using sheet aluminium for the internal surface, but was considering using aluminium rivets.

Any thoughts?
                          Find some stainless rivets they are a little harder to pull but mine have held up real well for 2 years now.
                          Chip

Comment

What is the point of firing an oven to that temperature anyway? If you could, what are you going to cook? Use a little common sense and fire to the temperatures you need for your bake or roast--Don't need anything even close to the melting point of aluminum!

If you are really worried, search the internet for tiles from the space shuttle, think that they are a special type of ceramic. But in the mean time, lets get back to earth!

Comment

If you are thinking of using aluminium for your door as I did then you will be safe. Who would heat the oven to those temps and then put the door in place.

Aluminium rivets work fine too, better to keep the metals similar. The temptation to overdesign/over specify projects is ever present and is often the difference between doing something easily and affordable and needing to mortgage the house and get an engineering degree to cook a pizza.
                              Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	door and bits.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1.20 MB
ID:	304866

Made mine from stainless steel.
                                It's a 3 1/2 inch thick shell, now packed with calsil and vermiculite and backed with some old T+G oak floor boards.

Also managed to make a couple of peels, an ember rake, and a bracket for a wire broom.

the handles are all interchangeable, and can be screwed into each other depending how long you want them.

The door is heavy though, and so far I've used 16mm fibre glass stove rope as a seal, but this is falling apart after a few weeks use - any better ideas would be welcome for this.

Comment

Working...
                                X