• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Re: Starting new 36" build

Dee,

Good luck, you are ahead of me on the counters, just finished ripping the melamine. Going to coat the exposed particle board edges with urethane or something like that to prevent swelling of the melamine during the pour. So I will be watching your counter pour closely.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Just a note on the fiberglass mesh. Make sure that the web size is larger than the largest aggregate in the mix, otherwise it creates a fracture plane in the slab.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Update on the progress over the weekend, and consolidating a bunch of stuff I have posted on other peoples threads about countertops

I started laying the bricks for arch over my wood storage area. I don't have any pictures, because I found that building a brick column is apparently more difficult than it appears... I built one side twice, and the other once, and then tore it all down. It's very difficult to keep straight without some sort of guide! I set some string guides last night and got once side mostly done in a fashion that I can accept - but didn't take any pictures. Gulf, I liked your idea but decided that I wasn't going to do doors. Or at least build it so I had to put them in. The punch list is just seeming too long on this project!

I also built out plywood cabinet inside of my BBQ area for storage. That took me a day, but is not terribly exciting to look at, so again - I didn't take any photos. It does give me a decent amount of storage. It's about 15" wide x 36" deep (corner cabinet) by 24" tall. I have no idea what I will store in there - I just hope it doesn't become spider central! I built it out of exterior grade plywood and painted the inside and top surfaces. I figure since it is inside of the cabinet it won't see too much moisture. We'll see. I hope so since there will be no practical way to repair it once the countertops are on!

As for those counters...

I decided to go with concrete. I'm going to use quikcrete 5000, with a bit of portland added and plasticizer/water reducer. AFAIK this is the equivalent of commercial countertop mixes. I also bought some strengthening fibers and pigment to add to the mix from directcolor.com. The countertops will be charcoal colored. I'm using Alkaline free fiberglass mesh - 2 layers - in place of rebar. The combo of the mesh and fibers is supposed to minimize cracking. Again, we shall see. I'm going to rent a mixer from HD for the pour. Since I am adding so many ingredients I want the concrete really well mixed. I've also got about ten pounds of ~3/8" glass. Brown, white and clear mixture. there is a glass recycling place right down the street from me, bought it for a buck a pound.

I will be building the forms this week/weekend. I'm using melamine shelving from HD for those. Plan to use Pam/vegetable spray as a release agent.

Oh, and I also ordered supplies for grinding/polishing. I found a 7-pad set of wet polishing pads for $40 at amazon and I also ordered a router speed control that I can use on my grinder to turn it into a variable speed unit. That was only $16. I already have a diamond grinding cup.

Feeling like I have all my ducks in a row, but would love any feedback/advice. I'm going to try do a couple of small sample squares (maybe an arch keystone?) before I do the big pour.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Dennis,
    Just another idea about facing the wood storage with an arch. I puposesly left a reveal in mine for a wooden door. You could use a flattened arch and start just above the corners. The reveal under the middle of the arch would be flat, but that could be covered by a door if it bothers you. This would save some work and would not take away some accessibility to you storage as would furing down the inside corners
    Last edited by Gulf; 09-07-2012, 02:36 AM. Reason: spelling

Leave a comment:

• Amac
    replied

...facing splits..
    Of course - my one dimensional mind at work again

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

I was imagining you cutting 10mm thick facings.....
    If you cut at the back of the holes you should be fine.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    Good luck with that..... youll need it.
    Yeah... but I got the brick with the holes in it, which I think will make it easier. Still have the brick saw too...

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    So I think I'll need to cut L-shaped "corner" bricks to make it look right.
    Good luck with that..... youll need it.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Al - Facing splits, yes - that's right. I don't always know the right terms

I bought the bricks today. They are ebony "clinkers". I think they are going to look great. I calculated the wedge, and I need to cut them down to 1.4 inches at the bottom (from 2 3/8 at the top)

The bottom arch will be a bit tougher. I test placed the brick and realized I want to have the brick on both the face of the oven and the inside edge of the storage opening. Since the rest of the base will be ~1 1/4 inch thick stone veneer, I probably want facing splits there too, but I still want them to look like a full brick at the corner. So I think I'll need to cut L-shaped "corner" bricks to make it look right.

Gulf - I had been looking at the way you did your lower arch in this post http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/mi...tml#post137306, which was instructive. I guess I could screw a piece of hardieboard behind there to support it.

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    I am also going to put the same brick around the firewood storage. I think I can do a fake arch with the brick in front of the square entry that I have today. Any guidance on that?
    Dennis,
    I think that you could use "hardie board" or a simular brand, concrete fiber board material to fashion an arched form to attach your "fake" arch.

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

Originally posted by Amac View Post
    It should be OK since Dennis is planning on using splits - so the gaps won't be so pronounced - anyway it would be impossible to cut them
    I thought the splits were facing splits?

No such thing as impossible.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Actually, I think I will need to cut them into trapezoids \_/ because I was planning to use the splits with the flat side exposed. I was planning on using splits because I don't want the arch to stick out a full brick from the face of my oven housing. Pretty sure I should be able to cut the angle. I've had plenty of practice

Leave a comment:

• Amac
    replied

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
    If you are going to use full length bricks for an arch you need to cut them both sides wedge like, if you dont cut them the mortar joint at the extradoss will be about 1" or wider and it looks ugly.

You will have to work out what the cut will be like I did in the pic.
    It should be OK since Dennis is planning on using splits - so the gaps won't be so pronounced - anyway it would be impossible to cut them

Leave a comment:

• brickie in oz
    replied

If you are going to use full length bricks for an arch you need to cut them both sides wedge like, if you dont cut them the mortar joint at the extradoss will be about 1" or wider and it looks ugly.

You will have to work out what the cut will be like I did in the pic.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Today I found a supplier for ebony brick, which I have been trying to find for my decorative arch. Very pleased with this one. My plan is to install full length splits around the entryway like my (badly done) mockup.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	arch mock.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	291161
    I am also going to put the same brick around the firewood storage. I think I can do a fake arch with the brick in front of the square entry that I have today. Any guidance on that?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X