• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dvm
    replied
    Re: Starting new 36" build

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    It fit! I am pretty happy with the results.
    [ATTACH]31764[/ATTACH]
    Wow! An excellent result!

Leave a comment:

• Les
    replied

Probably should have used solids, but that was a sh!tload of cutting! I hope this works.
    You don't want to use solids for this type of brick work - cores are stronger. Looks great!

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

It fit! I am pretty happy with the results. I am amazed how much mortar one uses with regular bricks! About 100 pounds just to do that. Course, I had a coule of restarts...

Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000119.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	291439

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Insert part A

Name:	WP_000117.jpg
Size:	100.8 KB
ID:	291428

Into slot B

Name:	WP_000118.jpg
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	291426

Probably should have used solids, but that was a sh!tload of cutting! I hope this works.
    Last edited by deejayoh; 09-20-2012, 01:19 PM. Reason: rotate picture

Leave a comment:

• Amac
    replied

Even one or two color stones/crystals/fossils..
    funny you should mention "fossil" Russel. I tamped in a small limestone fossil at the back of the oven - just to see how it would turn out after grinding.
    I never saw it again

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Hey DJ,

I did not mean to put up on the spot. It is your build. But if you are interested, Cheng goes over accents on some of his YouTube videos. It is at least worth looking at. Even one or two color stones/crystals/fossils or accent could add bang to you hearth.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Now I feel a little sheepish. I wasn't planning to use any aggregate or anything. I think my imagination is failing me. Ideas for accents?

Tracy - I think I am going to do what you suggested, use a piece of flatstock bar at the joint. I may just cast the thing with the metal already installed. Not sure what it would do to the polishing pads though.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Yeah Gulf,

I wanted to do this type of pour but would not work out with my layout. DJ can really place his accents where he want, me I am at the mercy of whether I can float them in at the right depth and keep em there.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

DJ
    That looks great. You will have great results for sure. I keep thinking that this should get easier after i got past the dome. NOT! keep up the good work.
    What did you decide to do at the retaining wall/counter top joint?
    Tracy

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Will be fun to flip and install!
    An upside down pour! This opens up lots of possibilities. I can't wait to see what you have in mind .

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Hah! I was planning on following your lead! The landing is only 2.5" thick. Must look deeper in picture due to the forms. But it's still gonna weigh 200 pounds. Will be fun to flip and install!

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

DJ,

Should I let you go first to figure out all the tricks on pour concrete counters??? The landing is 5 inches or so thick??? WOW. Those columns look great to me.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Forms, forms, and more forms

First, the archway form for the "faux" arch over my firewood area. The wood I'll use to jig the voisseurs and the corner pieces is shown for fit. Setting the columns was a total PITA but I think I finally got it right:

Name:	WP_000112.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	291419

And the countertops:

Name:	WP_000114.jpg
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	291420Click image for larger version

Name:	WP_000115.jpg
Size:	116.9 KB
ID:	291421

And finally the pre-cast form for my oven landing. I have it sitting there for scale, but will be casting it on a table that has leveling legs

Name:	WP_000116.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	291422

Hoping I can pour the countertops this weekend. But if not, I have the brickwork and then the stone veneer to keep me busy.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Good idea, I forget you are pouring counters over a bar/cabinet section. I am on hold right now waiting for the mailorder colorant to arrive.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    DJ,

What is your thoughts on the aluminum HVAC tape adjacent to your melamine?
    I used the HVAC tape to cover all the gaps in the metal framing and around the concrete board. I probably didn't need it, but I had the time so I used it to seal everything up in the form. Figured it was the thing that would stand up best to the wet concrete.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X