Starting new 36" build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Starting new 36" build

interesting. I was thinking about something like this which might use the same sort of fitting
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Spring%20Handle%20on%20Vertical%20Chamber%20Door.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	185.4 KB
ID:	292297
    My build progress
    My WFO Journal on Facebook
    My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
      interesting. I was thinking about something like this which might use the same sort of fitting
      [ATTACH]32839[/ATTACH]
      I started with all metal handles and they got to hot so I changed them to wood.

Chip
      Chip

Comment

Interesting. Through an insulated door?

I think the spring handles are supposed to dissapate heat. That's what they use on Smokers and Wood Stoves
        My build progress

Comment

I think the oven being very hot and the metal door and the protected area of the flue arch all add up to heating the metal handles. Your milage may vary.

You will be surprised as to how much heat migrates to the front of the door and radiates off the front panel due to the weld connection. If or when I build my next door I will isolate the back from the front even more than I did the first time.

Chip
          Last edited by mrchipster; 11-15-2012, 06:47 AM.
          Chip

Comment

Hey Dee,

Your new welding skills far exceed my existing skills. All of my welds I have to hide!
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

I think I am ready for turkey roasting!

Name:	WP_000237.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	292336
              I bought a couple of gate handles at HD and screwed them to the door. Couple coats of high-temp flat black paint and the door looks all professional-like.

I am very happy with the fit. And it's only 10 pounds!
              My build progress

Comment

This is completely unrelated to pizza, but since the weather has gotten bad, I've been looking for new projects. I decided I needed some music in the backyard for parties, but there is no wiring running from anyplace where I have a stereo to the back yard.

I put together a little system that is pretty cool. I found a 2.1 plate amplifier at Parts Express that will run both a subwoofer and satellite speakers. Since I already had a pair of outdoor satellites, I built up an 8" sub using that amp and a flat pack box. The combination sounds surprisingly good. The little box on top of the sub is a Logitech Squeezebox, which gives me wireless access to all the music on my home network and to services like Pandora and Spotify. There is also a jack in the back of the sub where I can plug in an iPhone/iPod if I want to go that way.

My plan is to permanently install the satellites under the eaves in my back yard. When I have people over, I pull the sub out of the closet and plug in the speakers. When I'm not using it, I can keep it out of the rain.

Name:	WP_20121206_003.jpg
Size:	1.05 MB
ID:	292474
                My build progress

Comment

Pizza, wine, music, backyard parties: perfect ingredients for a good time. I've got 2 sets of speakers hard wired to eaves on the back and side (wfo side) of the yard but I've been experimenting with "air-tunes" and portable boom boxes with success too in various parts of the yard. I'm going to check out that Squeezbox too.

I'm really liking your oven door too. Great job.
                  "Life is a banquet and most poor sons-of-bitches are starving to death." -Auntie Mame

View My Picasa Web Album UPDATED oct
                  http://picasaweb.google.com/Dino747?feat=directlink

My Oven Costs Spreadsheet
                  http://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?k...BF19875Rnp84Uw

My Oven Thread
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/d...arts-5883.html

Comment

Thanks Dino. I got the wiring up for the satellites yesterday, and ordered all the connections and mounts. I should have the speakers ready to go soon.

As for the squeezebox - if you want one, I'd look into it soon. I read that they have been discontinued. There may be deals out there. But for ongoing support, you may want to look at roku or something like that.

The door turned out better than I had expected. Thanks for the compliment. I still haven't baked with it. Winter weather has cut into my oven usage.
                    My build progress

Comment

Fired up the oven for a little football party last night. Had the extended family over, and cooked six pies standing out in the rain, while in between I watched the Seahawks but a smack-down on the 49ers.

I had my first baking experience since I building the door this morning. The thermometer in the door indicated the oven was about 480F when I turned in for the evening. I slept in a bit late, and when I checked this morning around ten it was about 340F. I had been planning cinnamon rolls this morning, so I took the door off and checked the temp inside - it was about 375F - which was perfect. The rolls came out perfectly

Name:	WP_000245.jpg
Size:	101.3 KB
ID:	292548

Seven hours later, the door thermometer is still showing 300 degrees.
                      My build progress

Comment

WFO cinnamon rolls for breakfast. Looks like a new Christmas tradition has begun! Congratulations on the great door. It adds a lot of versatility to the oven.
                        dvm

My road to pizza is documented here:
                        http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ome-17755.html
                        sigpic

Comment

Ah, winter blues. It's been a while since I have updated - and my activity has been slowed significantly due to fact that I have been on crutches for the last month. I had surgery to remove a bone spur under my achilles right after Christmas, and recovery is slow.

But... that hasn't stopped my SO from working on her contribution to the oven. She's been putting together a marble mosaic to go on the oven landing. I have to say, I'm pretty darn impressed with what she's done!

Name:	WP_000255.jpg
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	292832

The mosaic says "I Cinquanta Gradini", which is Italian for "The Fifty Steps". That's what I call my oven because there are 50 stairs up from the street. I figure after carrying all the brick, mortar, and concrete up those stairs - it had to be commemorated. She has also wound some vines through the lettering.

Anyway, she is planning to transfer the mosaic from her workspace to the landing today. Once the mosaic is in, I'll install the landing in front of the oven.

Name:	WP_000257.jpg
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	292833

Apparently the trick is to use contact paper to pick up all the pieces and transfer large sections all at once. I'll try to post some progress pics.

Oh, and yes - that's my crutch in the second picture.
                          My build progress

Comment

I have been thinking of doing something similar, Where did you get the small mosaic pieces and what material are they made from. Freeze thaw cycles here require porcelain or mosaic or quarry tile I think....

Chip
                            Chip

Comment

The mosaic pieces are 3/8" marble cubes in 4 different colors. It's the way the old roman mosaics were done. She ordered the mosaic bits in bags from some place online, not sure where. You can also order 12 x 12" sheets of them stuck to backing but you have to remove a lot of them. There are something like 3000 cubes in the design.

Not sure about how it would handle freeze thaw, as it is not much of an issue here. But I do plan to seal the whole thing as much as possible - mostly for stain resistance.
                              My build progress

Comment

DJ,

Very nice. My weather conditions here in Utah and mosiacs don't like each other or I would steal you concept. Hope you mend up soon. I have to wear orthodics for the same thing you have. Something about getting old.
                                Russell
                                Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Working...
                                X