Cloita's 42" Pompeii in Plainfield, IL

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cloita's 42" Pompeii in Plainfield, IL

Hello everyone, after about six months of reading and a few weeks of actually scouring the forums, I have finally started my oven. Our backyard concrete was poured in June and needed a good four weeks to cure. I took a four-day birthday weekend last week and got my start. My corner installation was inspired by Johnfm43's base so he gets first credit!

Concrete going in:

Last edited by cloita; 09-26-2013, 11:35 AM.
    - Jonathan

"If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there." --Yogi Berra

Re: Cloita's 42" Pompeii in Plainfield, IL

Base build Day 1 30JUL2011:

Last edited by cloita; 08-03-2011, 07:56 AM.
    - Jonathan

Comment

Base build Day 2 01AUG2011:

Next is the wood storage opening support and then on to course 4/5 and hearth! Thanks for all the great reading material and I look forward to finishing this oven!
      Last edited by cloita; 08-03-2011, 07:56 AM.
      - Jonathan

Comment

Excellent work, love the concrete look.. never seen that before..
        Any chance those pics can be put underneath eachother instead of side by side?

Comment

Thanks. I'll think twice about that stamp design next time though, was hell getting that first course of bricks level.
          - Jonathan

Comment

More progress!

13AUG2011:

Last edited by cloita; 09-26-2013, 11:38 AM.
            - Jonathan

Comment

~10 more bricks on the inside then I'm ready for concrete/rebar and the hearth!

21AUG2011:

Last edited by cloita; 09-26-2013, 11:39 AM.
              - Jonathan

Comment

It's about that time of the season again in the midwest. Poured my hearth, cut my fiberboard, and started dry fitting the oven floor.

Last edited by cloita; 05-28-2012, 07:17 AM.
                - Jonathan

Comment

- Jonathan

Comment

Hi Colita,

I am doing a corner build too and about the same stage as you. Are you doing an enclosure or a dome? Still have not decided on whether to enclose or not but heading towards a dome style.

Beehiver

Russell
                    Russell
                    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Grats on the progress! I'm planning on enclosure with a flagstone finish to go with the stamped concrete under the oven. Left about six inches each side to accommodate the framing and insulation, hopefully I did it right.
                      - Jonathan

Comment

Nice job on stamped concrete. Post progress pics. Working on jig for brick saw to cut taper/bevels on firebrick. Going to steal ideas from WFOs.

Thx,

Russell
                        Russell
                        Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Will do, good luck on the jig
                          - Jonathan

Comment

Lots of progress this weekend, for my pace anyway! Most of my floor is cut and dry fit and my soldiers are ready for mortar.

Last edited by cloita; 06-03-2012, 06:11 PM.
                            - Jonathan

Comment

Any tips for inside cuts like this with a stationary saw?? Failed a few times then gave up for the night. Been thinking hard about it and might go with a two-piece approach to eliminate the inside cuts.

- Jonathan

Comment

Working...
                              X