Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Cloita's 42" Pompeii in Plainfield, IL

Cloita,

Scrambling here too in Utah to beat the winter. Nice job on roast.....
    Russell
    Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

We can do this Russell! And thanks, it was delicious
      - Jonathan

"If you don't know where you're going, you might not get there." --Yogi Berra

Comment

Metal studs have arrived, now to figure out if I stick with the tarps and tent or frame this guy... damn winter!
        - Jonathan

Comment

Grumble grumble...Hibernation is over. I've installed my fiber blanket insulation but have some concerns that something bad happened over winter.

Insulation:
          https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Z...407_194321.jpg

There is a white substance on the brick and cladding, I'm assuming it got wet:
          https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-5...407_141330.jpg
          https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-w...407_141336.jpg
          https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-b...407_141344.jpg
          Last edited by cloita; 05-07-2013, 06:44 PM.
          - Jonathan

Comment

the cladding on top looks awful but the cladding did not get a chance to cure as much as the oven did last fall before i fully fired it, so that lead to cracking. whatever happened over the winter seems to have worsened it.

Any thoughts/recommendations on repairs? As far as i can tell, i don't have any major cracks running all the way through, no major smoke leaks or anything of the sort. The white substance on the inside of the dome is mostly gone now after two fires.

oh and gotta have first pizza of the year: https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-D...407_193331.jpg

even without a door after the insulation blanket i'm still in the 200 degree range the next morning after a full fire so i think i did something right!
            Last edited by cloita; 05-07-2013, 06:50 PM.
            - Jonathan

Comment

Looks like efflorescence...I don't think it will bother your oven too much. The cladding looks like it can be easily removed/replaced, though I don't see where that will hurt anything either if you just left it alone; it adds no strength, only mass.

Comment

Did a little reading and efflorescence matches up with what I'm seeing. Only time will tell if it harmed it structurally I guess. Thanks!

I removed any loose cladding before I put the insulation on. Moving on to the enclosure.
                - Jonathan

Comment

Hi Jonathan,

Excellent work on your build! Keep working on it, or it might take you a while finish it!

Any thoughts on your enclosure design?

Also, can you throw us a recipe for your Chicago-style pizza? Ingredients, temps, time? I definitely want to try it!

Aceves

Comment

Thanks, hopefully make some progress tonight. Going with tall enclosure with flat roof pitched backward, possibly stucco or copper siding for the finish but unsure with that.

Chicago Deep Dish Pizza

Dough:
                    2 packages quick-rise dry yeast
                    2 cups warm water (90 degrees F)
                    1/4 cup olive oil, plus more to oil the pans
                    1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
                    5 1/2 cups bread flour
                    4 teaspoons kosher salt

Dissolve the yeast and water in the bowl of a mixer fitted with the paddle attachment.
                    Add the oils and mix for 30 seconds. Add the cornmeal, 3 cups of the flour and salt and
                    beat for 5 minutes. Switch to the dough hook and mix in the remaining 2 1/2 cups of flour
                    and knead, using the dough hook for 2 minutes.

Place the dough in a large bowl lightly oiled with olive oil, cover with plastic wrap or
                    clean kitchen towels and let rise in a warm place until doubled in size, about 45 minutes.
                    Punch down the dough and allow to double in size again.

Cook time/temp:
                    I'm still learning on this. I also use instant yeast and my caputo 00 flour instead of quick rise dry yeast and bread flour. I've done 550-600 in the WFO for 25 min and gotten a black disk, i've done 375 for 45 minutes with a conventional oven and gotten squish. Would recommend 500-550 in the WFO at this point and trust the top - when it starts getting dark, the rest should be done too. Good luck!
                    - Jonathan

Comment

Cloita's. Thanks for giving me credit for the base and concrete design. But yours looks mutch better than my concrete work. You have also made much more progress than I have so far.
                      Looks great so far
                      Johnfm43

Comment

After much procrastination, research, then more procrastination, it's now June and time to actually do some building this year. One of the last pieces i'm trying to find good information on is how to tie the enclosure into the arch. Any suggestions on whether i should frame right up to the firebrick with my enclosure or should i reveal the ugly arch? One issue is that the front of my oven isn't exactly plumb, the arch juts out a tiny bit. Been pondering if i should risk grinding it level or what i can do to bring the enclosure up to it.

Any thoughts are appreciated!
                        - Jonathan

Comment

Originally posted by johnfm43 View Post
                          Cloita's. Thanks for giving me credit for the base and concrete design. But yours looks mutch better than my concrete work. You have also made much more progress than I have so far.
                          Looks great so far
                          Johnfm43
                          Anytime, thanks for the inspiration. Good to see you're back at it!
                          - Jonathan

Comment

You could always continue your masonry work on the arch bringing forward and into plumb with regular bricks; the final outer arch could be a bit larger (than the firebrick arch) and run the framing to it...

Comment

Thanks ggoose, i've ran with that idea and started planning for it.

As far as framing goes, we've got walls:

Next step is the roof. Going to call in a pro for this since we couldn't decide on the best way to pitch it back in this corner installation.
                              - Jonathan

Comment

Hey-glad your back!

Keep up the good work. wont be long now!

Texman
                                Texman Kitchen
                                http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Working...
                                X