Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mississippi 44"

Looks perfect DVM,
    Did you do it like Laurentius suggested? What about the time and temp?
    EDIT: Never mind. I just read the update to your thread. I should have scrolled down further on the new posts.
    Thank's for sharing .
    Last edited by Gulf; 01-07-2013, 02:49 AM. Reason: update
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Aside from the build I have had a lot going on. But, when I had time I was working on retainer walls and french drains. I have been following DVM's build, and that sort of lit a fire under my as to work on the counters this weekend.
      Saturday morning I was prepping the forms.

But, I got a call from my brother about some some free redoak. Hardwood is plentiful down here. Most people get tired of limbing a tree (with a chain saw) and leave a lot of good wood to waiste.

I used my Stihl for some of this, but a lot of it was cut with the pruning shears. I like the smaller wood and hate renting a wood splitter.
      With a late start on Sunday, I was only able to pour the landing.

It is an upside down pour. My supervisor loves rhe multiple colors.
      Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gulf,

I understand the sea shells in the counter but the fern I am not quite suer how it will look in the finished counter, I am not all that familiar with poured polished concrete but what will become of the fern leaf area?

BTW I like the shape. and it must be nice to have weather that you can be working outside in Late January.

Chip
        Chip

Comment

Nice, some good wood pile you got there, here in california cutting oak is illegal
          Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

My wood splitter is called an axe, they're cheap enough to buy and own.

Comment

Originally posted by V-wiz View Post
              Nice, some good wood pile you got there, here in california cutting oak is illegal
              ??? I get all my oak from the other side of the hill
              Check out my pictures here:
              http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/les-build-4207.html

If at first you don't succeed... Skydiving isn't for you.

Comment

Originally posted by Les View Post
                ??? I get all my oak from the other side of the hill
                Do you cut them yourself or buy them? There is a huge fine for cutting down oak, atleast here in socal.

Comment

Originally posted by V-wiz View Post
                  here in california cutting oak is illegal
                  Why?
                  The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Originally posted by brickie in oz View Post
                    Why?
                    I have no idea, and there is plenty to go around, my parents neighbors had cut a large branch off the oak tree in theyre own yard, the city had some how found out and provided before and after photos VIA satellite of what the tree looked like, They fined them $5,000

Comment

V-Wiz, It may have something to do with permitting. Or lack of getting one before cutting, that resulted in a fine. The wood on the back of my pickup were from trees being cleared to make room for a house on a neighbors land. I got a couple of pickup loads back in the fall from wind fallen trees beside the road that was just about dry. I don't intend to buy any hardwood as long as I am able to go get it myself.

Chip, I'm not sure how the fern will turn out. I want be doig much grinding. The shells and the glass should already be exposed. I tried two test pieces with ferns, and I got varying results.

The impression of the fern and all air pockets will be filled with a black slurry. The filler shown in the test pieces was made from the same white portland as the other colors. On this run I will be making the slurry from regular portland.

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post

Chip, I'm not sure how the fern will turn out. I want be doig much grinding. The shells and the glass should already be exposed. I tried two test pieces with ferns, and I got varying results.

The impression of the fern and all air pockets will be filled with a black slurry. The filler shown in the test pieces was made from the same white portland as the other colors. On this run I will be making the slurry from regular portland.
                        That makes sense back filling is a great idea, I hope it works out, you are getting some interesting grains and colors.

Chip
                        Chip

Comment

So Gulf
                          How did the aboriginal inspired multicolored counter turn out?
                          dvm

My road to pizza is documented here:
                          http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...ome-17755.html
                          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dvm View Post
                            So Gulf
                            How did the aboriginal inspired multicolored counter turn out?
                            Sorry about the late reply DVM,
                            I have been working a lot of hours and have had some camera issues as well. The test shelves, where I tried a new veining technique,

that drew that acclaim have been retired to my brain fart pile :>.

I have went back to the origional black sand veining that I first used. My Art Consultant on this build is a "task master" and I must meet her close scrutiny in all aspects of the build.

Comment

WOW!!!!!!

And beautiful too...

Chip
                              Chip

Comment

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
                                WOW!!!!!!

And beautiful too...

Chip
                                Thank's Chip,
                                Yes she is. Favors her mother, who favors her grandmother .

I'm sure glad that she doesn't take after me

Comment

Working...
                                X