Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mississippi 44"

Sorry Stonecutter,
    I thought that I was keeping up with the forum . I had been working a 12 to 16 hour a day shutdown/outage where I work. The grey looks great! and matches your stonework. I love the "old world" look.

I understand what you are referring to but, the term "watertable" throws me a little. I live in an area where local building terms do not always match the "official" terms.
    Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Originally posted by Gulf View Post
      Sorry Stonecutter,
      I thought that I was keeping up with the forum . I had been working a 12 to 16 hour a day shutdown/outage where I work. The grey looks great! and matches your stonework. I love the "old world" look.

I understand what you are referring to but, the term "watertable" throws me a little. I live in an area where local building terms do not always match the "official" terms.
      Thanks Gulf! I went with the grey because there is going to be a lot more granite when I finally get some time for finishes, and I thought the other colors matched too well...I wanted contrast for this particular element.

Watertable in masonry is a horizontal projection that acts as a ledge for water running down the face of a structure, to keep it off the lower foundation ( or area below the watertable.) Also known as a band, string, or belt course.
      Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
      John Ruskin

Comment

More importantly, it is used as both a visual and physical separation between dissimilar materials. Usually between stucco and stone, but also between clay and cementious units. It allows for a flashing point, and also allows for the differential in expansion and contraction between dissimilar materials.

On some applications, primarily on the interior or weather protected areas it serves as a visual cue more than a construction joint.

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post

Watertable in masonry is a horizontal projection that acts as a ledge for water running down the face of a structure, to keep it off the lower foundation ( or area below the watertable.) Also known as a band, string, or belt course.
          I am familiar with the term ledge, as in window ledge or door sill. Masonry or carpentry, they are always sloped slightly away from the home. Or in this case oven. That is what I had planned to do for my concrete landing. Slope it gradually away from my entry.

Am I on the same page with ya'll ?
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I am familiar with the term ledge, as in window ledge or door sill. Masonry or carpentry, they are always sloped slightly away from the home. Or in this case oven. That is what I had planned to do for my concrete landing. Slope it gradually away from my entry.

Comment

Theres an echo in here.....
              The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

As far as sloping the landing, yes you are. Water is the enemy of all construction. I always set a slight pitch on mine or grind one in like I'm doing with the current build. Unless they are completely out of the weather and under cover, it provides good insurance that water won't run into the vent area.

But a landing wouldn't really be considered watertable because it doesn't wrap the structure..though it does some of the same things.
                Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Thank's Stonecutter,
                  My antique building experience always included a step down from the finished floor to the exterior levels (porches etc.) Also, just to explain the differences in local terminology, the "prow gable" that you referred to on another thread was commonly called a "boat bow" down here .

Brickie,
                  As for as the "echo" is concerned, I've lived with a blonde for nearly forty years. Forgive me, if that one went over my head . Some of it may have rubbed off .

Comment

Gulf,

The echo comment was because of a double post
                    Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Thank's Stonecutter,
                      My antique building experience always included a step down from the finished floor to the exterior levels (porches etc.) Also, just to explain the differences in local terminology, the "prow gable" that you referred to on another thread was commonly called a "boat bow" down here .
                      Boat bow huh? I always thought that term referred to more of the ridge line shape, not to an extended gable. Local terms have always interested me, you see it a lot with masonry and with how loose aggregate is described from place to place.
                      Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Gulf,

The echo comment was because of a double post
                        Oops!
                        I hate it when that happens .
                        Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2013, 06:43 PM.

Comment

I got a little time this afternoon to get a slurry coat on the landing and ledges. I didn't get any pics. They don't look that much different anyway.

On the way back from from a Mothers Day family gathering, I stopped by a local sawmill to pick up some tomato stakes. They are 1" X 1" spacers used to separate the hardwood lumber while drying in the kiln.

All of this is outside of the gate free for the taking.

All oak, mostly red oak.

I feel for those who live in areas where hardwood is hard to come by. I am truly blessed .
                          Last edited by Gulf; 05-12-2013, 07:09 PM.

Comment

All of this is outside of the gate free for the taking.
                            Whoah dude, whats your address Im coming over for the free firewood.....

I hope you took lots of it, there is every type needed in them piles from kindling to good firing pieces.
                            The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

That is quite a resource stream. No chainsaw involved. How much time would that free up for worthwhile pursuits?

Cheers ............ Steve
                              Cheers ......... Steve

Build Thread http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f3/n...erg-19151.html

Build Pics http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...1&l=1626b3f4f4

Forno Food Pics https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...1&l=1d5ce2a275

Comment

You got to be kidding!?! How far is that sawmill from New Orleans? I would open a WFO bakery within one mile from that place. I just spent about $265 for a full cord of red oak!
                                Who Dat?

Tu Dat

If you feel lost with building your WFO, just pray to St. Stephen who is the patron saint of bricklayers.

Comment

Working...
                                X