Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Mississippi 44"

Gudday Gulf
    Just saw you brick splits , amazing, never seen any thing like those before. Certainly makes the job of covering the dome nice and neat.
    I'm covering my dome with brick as well but a bit more of a rustic effect as I'm using a brick bulster. Takes some time .... But what the hell with the oven I have all the time in the world to fiddle along as I wish.
    I inspired by those brick splits as I still have to tile the surface around the oven...might even have to use a brick saw after all this time.
    Regards dave
    Measure twice
    Cut once
    Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
    My Door
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Originally posted by cobblerdave View Post
      Gudday Gulf
      Just saw you brick splits , amazing, never seen any thing like those before.
      Bunnings used to sell them in the tile section, failing that try a tile shop.

My mate cuts them for Boral.
      The English language was invented by people who couldnt spell.

My Build.

Books.

Comment

Dave,
        The splits that I have are all face cuts. They are a little rough, uneven, and different sizes. The interior cuts of the brick are usually identical thicknesses. In my neck of the woods most floors and a few counters tops are done with the interior cuts. The face cuts are more difficult to install for an even finish. But that is what I wanted for the dome to keep with the old brick look.
        I hope Brickie's lead helps you find the right product for you .

I do like love the look of your brick oven and chimney. I can only admire the work that has gone into it, and especially the fitting of the dome brick with a brick set .

It is really looking great!
        Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Well, I almost had this post finished and accidently closed the d@mn window.

I knew that the tear drop was coming because of the lack of inverted v's forming in the head and bed joints where the dome meats the chimney.

Oh well, just fix it and go on. It's hidden under a shelf anyway.

The hole in the middle is a 1" threaded pvc fitting for the vent.

I kept the joints raked and swept as I applied the splits. Unless someone looks real close they would think that it is finished. And that is the way the dome will probably look for some time. I intend to tuck point the joints but, not before a few other things get done.
          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Gulf,

Looks very fine, seems you can't get away from building some type of brick dome............you see those maters being grown in AZ? My seedlings are beginning to do well.
            Russell
            Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Thanks? Russell,
              My maters got a late start for our growing season. But, I think they will be doing just fine when most others have fizzled out down here. Yes, I saw those pics and was a little jealous . Well there is always next year. The seeds from these San Marzanos will get an early start. That is if they are ?heirloom? tomatoes. I think that I read somewhere that they were. If not, I still have about 20 or so left from what you sent me .

Comment

Looks great. At this time, I'm planning to brick my dome with half bricks. The splits you used look easier.

Comment

Originally posted by Kurtloup View Post
                  Looks great. At this time, I'm planning to brick my dome with half bricks. The splits you used look easier.
                  Thank's Kurt,
                  They are relatively easy to apply, if the surface that they are applied to is uniform. I took a few extra pains to get the dome fairly close to being a true sphere with the revolving vcrete form before applying the stucco base.
                  Even then, I did notice where a few small humps and low spots in the stucco layer required a little adjusting with the amount of "butter" from the 3/8" notched trial. Some times it took a thicker or thinner brick to make up the difference.

I love the look of a brick finished pompeii oven. I'm looking forward to see your finished dome.

Comment

You got me green there, Gulf. Looks very good, professional even. Progress has stopped on mine, late work days and full weekends with no end in sight.
                    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
                    John Ruskin

Comment

. Really nice Gulf, a very unique look. I agree that there is always something else to do when the current version looks great to others but not perfect to the originator, or in your case ARTIST...

Chip
                      Chip

Comment

Looks great. I may have missed it but what stone is that?
                        Matthew 19:26. With God all things are possible.

My Build: http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f21/...les-18741.html

Comment

Thanks ya'll, very much!

V-wiz, They are mostly face cut flooring splits from old brick . I got 3 cuts from each whole face brick.

Comment

I took a little time away from brick ,other than cutting the fire brick for the very last heat break. That being between the entry and the landing.

I had to spend a little time on the yard this weekend, but managed to work on some oven tools. I found these bamboo
                            cutting boards at "Walley World".

I cut and notched them to fit the spacing sticks that I mentioned earlier. The oak sticks are used to space hardwood lumber in a kiln numerous times before they are discarded.

They ended up with a payload of 11" X 12 ".

The handles may be a little long but they will allow me to cut them down as I see fit, with some experience.

Comment

If you have the capacity, cut them full of slots. The slotted peel is a miraculous thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                                If you have the capacity, cut them full of slots. The slotted peel is a miraculous thing.
                                If it is made out of wood, I have the "capacity". Can you elaborate ? .........On second thought,I've seen the metal slotted peels.

I think ,that I could do that with the wooden peel, if you think that would work,

Comment

Working...
                                X