• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Re: Texman Build

Tex,

Nice job on the chimney adaptation, certainly a head scratcher. Fun angle to work with. Looking good. You only went through 4 blades?? I'm on my 7th but they are cheapos and the bricks I am using are high duty industrial type so really hard on the blades. Pizza soon in Austin.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

I am almost finished with the vent and flue. I transitioned from a 3.5" x 15" at the bottom of the outer arch to a 7.5" x 7.5" at top. I had to "step out and step in" as Gulf suggested. I had planned on keeping the front part of the chimney vertical and not stepping forward, but when i drew it out, i would have gone past the center of gravity at the back. (3.5 +3.5 step=7) I decided to make the transition in three courses. So the sides had to go from 15" width to 7.5" in three coarses, or 7.5" in. So 7.5"/3 coarses/2 sides = 1.25" from each side brick. The front / back transition from 3.5" to 7.5" or 4" is 4/3/2=5/8" ish
    Worked out good i think.
    I used my last firebrick to finish that vent and i have about 2# of high-dollar mortar left! That was close. 235 bricks in that dome and vent and chimney. ( i used 12x12 for the floor) I took a picture of my waste bricks. I bought my fourth saw blade. I cant believe the bricks came that close. The only uncut brick i have is 3 floor tiles that i might use to finish chimney or may call it good.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

It is a throat section for a Rumford fireplace.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
    I put a 7" blade on my 4" grinder last night, it was probably the most dangerous thing I have ever done outside of a motorized vehicle. Never again!

(I made this for a friend to use in a gas grill to cook 3-5 minute NY style pizzas).
    That is really cool! Was that clay flue ? That grinder feels like it is taking off. Very scary and not recommended.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

That 7" blade on the 4" grinder idea scares the bejeebuz out of me. Sounds like a weapon in a Mad Max movie. I don't even like using the 4" diamond blade without the guard. Grinder, ok. Blade, not so much.

Anyway, nice recovery. You're close now.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

I put a 7" blade on my 4" grinder last night, it was probably the most dangerous thing I have ever done outside of a motorized vehicle. Never again!

(I made this for a friend to use in a gas grill to cook 3-5 minute NY style pizzas).

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

Gulf, DJ, Tscar and DVM
    Thanks for all the great advice! It is very timely as i continue to try and not screw this up anymore. After reading and studying your suggestions, i came to the conclusion that my plan would work, but nobody was super jazzed about it. So, i thought i would try and see if those two bricks on each side might be coaxed to leave their cozy vent home. Much to my amazement, a few cuts to the mortar joints and GENTLE twist of blade (backside?) of my brick hammer, and they popped right out! I couldn't believe it and i didn't crack the arch.
    After that, i cut arch bricks out full thickness (2 5/16) side and put in a regular back arch. I hope that was the right choice. I was able to maintain my heat break there and the vent opening is 15 x 3.5 =52.5 sq in. to a 7" flue (38 sq in.)
    With my tall chimney it should draw.
    Gulf, you aren't kidding about my first meal! Tastes like crap too.
    DJ and DVM, I may end up using a cut like that to fill in the gap between the arches.
    Tscar, I should listen to my instincts. When i have to ask if it will work, it probably means that i am taking a shortcut that could haunt me later. I have had enough ghosts so far.
    You can see "my little friend" in pic a. Those are good blades for this. I even put my 7.25" circular saw blade on that angle grinder when i was "whittlin" that front arch.
    Did I do good?
    Tracy

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

That looks good from here (here where I can't touch the actual oven or know if that shape cut from one 9 inch brick will be tall enough to do the job).

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

DVM -

Kind of like that, but a little longer to give a "wedge" for the arch at the bottom

Cuz I love sketchup soooo much, here's a picture of what I was thinking:

Click image for larger version

Name:	crazybrick.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	6.2 KB
ID:	290389

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    Tracy -

Trying to think if there is some way to use a full length brick in there that would have the angle toward the arch, and maybe hook over the top of the vertical pieces on the outside? Not sure what the dimensions are
    I am not sure if I completely understand your plan - would something similar to the notched bricks as shown by Dino Pizza achieve the goal?

http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/8/di...html#post55820
    Last edited by dvm; 08-15-2012, 11:41 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

It will probably be fine, but why not like this:

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Wow! Tracy,
    What I see reminds me of something.
    Years ago, I saw an old man who had taken a pocket knife and whittled out a beautiful aligator from a piece of cedar. One of the kids in my group asked him "how" did he do it. He said that it was "easy". "Just whittle everything away that don't look like no gator" . One of these days someone is going to mortar up a mountain of brick and take a sidegrinder and remove everthing that don't look like no oven .

Great job on the "whittling" of the outside arch.

If anyone asks you what your first meal was from your WFO, you might better answer truthfully and tell them it was "brick dust" .
    I don't think that you need to remove the brick behind the brick with the red arrow. You might want to cut and replace the marked brick with one that is a little more square, though and over the next couple of brick get back to your standard arch cut. Just thinking that it would have less chance of popping out years from now, should the mortar degrade. Just invision how brick that are dry stacked together, would stay in place without mortar.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Tracy -
    Looks good. Nice neat work. On the brick in pic C - it seems like it should work. I'd have some concerns with using a small brick piece like that in what is a super hot spot in the oven (with all the gasses coming out). If the mortar on the outside bond fails, the whole arch drops straight onto your vent floor.
    But seems like the only other alternative would be to try to remove the two vertical bricks in picture D in order to get a bigger brick in there. That sounds like it has the potential for disaster.

Trying to think if there is some way to use a full length brick in there that would have the angle toward the arch, and maybe hook over the top of the vertical pieces on the outside? Not sure what the dimensions are

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

Here is what happens when you don't pay attention in class and even sometimes when you do.
    Removed 1.25" of my outer arch to leave a thickness of 2.75" Took about two hours and some non-OSHA approved methods. But not that bad, just a big mess. I think it needs a little more smoothing later. Advice: Keep cutting until they fall out or you can break loose with your hands. I didn't crack the arch.

Please give me advice on pic C. Any problems with using the brick with the red pointer? That will be easier than cutting out more brick to get back to the actual arch brick behind the piece i added. I think it is fine, but let me know. I get in trouble when i think. The bricks in the pic are just test pieces.

The arch is now 15" wide and will be about 4" - 3.75" deep after i complete the rear of the outer arch. If you like rounded corners in your vent, i can tell you how to do it, but wouldn't recommend it. So my area of the vent will be around 56" going to a 7" flue (area of 38.5") with a 96" chimney. She should suck the smoke out well, i hope.
    Tracy
    Thanks for your help Gulf!!!

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

Thanks Laku, Deejay and Les for the encouragement.
    Tracy

Leave a comment:

Working...
X