X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• texman
    replied
    Re: Texman Build

Hey Lee, thanks for stopping by. It all turned out good and i am pleased with the final result. Ready to get cooking again.

Texman

Leave a comment:

• spaceman
    replied

This looks way cool.

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied

Originally posted by texman View Post
    48 hours out and 375 deg F

How does that compare to other builds out there?

Texman
    I don't remember where I posted my 48 hour numbers, but I lost slightly less than five degrees per hour for four days -if my memory is correct.

Just showed my wife your final build photos.........She was mightily impressed!

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Looking mighty tasty Tracy. Must be nice having the covered kitchen this time of the year. At least it would be for me! We are living through what feels like endless rain and windstorms right now.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

A couple of pepperoni pies this weekend. Lesson learned on dough: the ferment needs to be at least 36 hours. I actually had workable dough and it tasted great. Good dough takes some patience and i am a slow learner. I like the recipe i am using, but you have to give it some time and the results are worth it.

Texman

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

TEX

i started with 235 - 9" x 4.5' x 2.5" firebrick, 18 -12x12 floor tiles and 3 bags Alsey flue set. ended up one bag short on the flue set. And, i wasted a lot of brick, but ended up using every last brick and tile. I over ordered so i wouldn't be short and i knew since this was all new that i would make many mistakes, which i did. None were damaged in shipping and shipping was $420 for me.
    There are several places in DFW that should have the right medium duty brick; that should save some money. I couldn't find anything close to me, so i had to order and wanted to be sure i didn't run short. I used the extra tiles for my landing.

Keep the questions coming and welcome to the forum.
    Texman

Leave a comment:

• Tscarborough
    replied

Forno Bravo plans break it down between floor and dome, for a 3'x3' dome, you would need 9ea 12x12 floor tiles (floor inside dome).

Leave a comment:

• Texas
    replied

Texman - we are also planning to order 12x12x2.5" firebricks from Larkin for the floor. Building a 36" oven, so slightly smaller than yours. How many of the 12x12's did you order? How many were damaged in shipping (i am in the DFW area)? Do you know about how many of the regular firebricks you used for your dome and vent arch area? If we order them with delivery, want to have a good estimate of how many to order!! I was thinking 200, but I waffle as to whether that is too many, since the floor will be using the 12x12's.

I didn't find the numbers in your build. I have found them in some other builds, but quite a variation in numbers, and sometimes hard to find what size oven is being built!

Thanks a bunch
    Texas

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Tex,

Still working on deck adjacent to oven. Maters are done for the year but I did harvest another batch of seeds. Oven still in the mix, copper will have to wait until spring. Really nice looking set up you have. The entry doors add a touch of mystic.

Leave a comment:

• hodgey1
    replied

Tex,

Boy can I relate to that.... I thought I'd have a few hundred American into my WFO project and now hitting a few thousand after the copper roof accents that I just had to have. Now we are planning next summer to put in a brick patio to surround the WFO with a built in fireplace. I'm budgeting a few hundred for it also.

Your pour looks great, keep up the good work.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

I have a spot picked out for the 'maters. All this is finally coming together. As long as my back and my bank acct hold up. Maybe a warning to other WFO builders out there: "a WFO could lead to other extensive and expensive projects that could be detrimental to your health and wallet"

It is my fault, I shouldn't blame the defenseless oven.

Texman

Russell - are you shut down for winter already?

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Wow, that is alot of mud. Really looks nice.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

Concrete patio poured. Another wall and an aching back.
    Oh well, not getting fat from eating too much pizza yet.

Tex

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

i found this infrared (IR) to RF (radio freq) remote converter to use with the indoor amp. It is really simple to set up and pretty cheap. $38 It uses your existing IR remote and you just replace one of the batteries with the ones provided to make the remote work as RF, from outside. No more running back and forth to change volume, etc. Very nice and it works! My old amp finally got bad enough that i justified a replacement and that gave me the opportunity to add a subwoofer out in the kitchen as well. It is in the cabinet under the window it sounds great out there now.

Also i finally finished the @#^*)% pergola. i think that took longer than the wfo. Also staining the gates to match the pergola. i had 20+ yards of concrete poured a week ago for a back patio that i will be working on next. It has been a complete landscape overhaul since finishing the kitchen and has lasted all summer long and still going. now that concrete is in, i can reassemble the whole mess, i hope.

Beware of what awaits after the outdoor kitchen is done.

Tracy

Leave a comment:

• hodgey1
    replied

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    Chris, your recipe is almost the same as mine. When you say high gluten flour, do you mean bread flour? Most flour is labeled as bread or all purpose.
    Hi Deejay/Tex

There is a difference in these flours. The protein content in bread four is around 12.5% and 14+% for high gluten. The difference it makes in the dough/crust is mostly in the texture/chew. Great pizza can be made using the technique I described with really any flour, caputo 00, AP, bread, pastry and so on but IMHO the high gluten makes it best. It's all personal preference, tastes and goals of what pizza you trying to perfect. Me, I crave a NY style light chew with the airy, light, bubbly goodness in the outer crust. Never dry, never hard and never ever given to the dog.

At SAMs and Gordon Foods its plainly labeled " high gluten", I think King Author calls theirs sir Lancelot.I get mine mostly at SAMs club but for some, the large bag can be a problem. I put it in sealed large plastic "old pretzel" containers in my pantry and it keeps fine for months.

Chris

Leave a comment:

Working...
X