X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TxTanner
    replied
    Re: Texman Build

Boy oh boy are you right about that.You couldn't teach me anything when I was 18 but now that I'm closing in on 50 I learn something everyday and my old man seems a lot smarter know than he was then.Keep us posted on your landscaping
    or build another oven or something,it would be a shame to see this thread die.

Bill

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Originally posted by texman View Post
    Thanks Bill. I read your harley to oven post-good stuff! There is a lot of learning in this project and very happy with the outcome.

Texman
    How about a link to the Harley to oven post. That sounds right up my alley. I could not find it on a quick search .

Leave a comment:

• TxTanner
    replied

Boy oh boy are you right about that.You couldn't teach me anything when I was 18 but now that I'm closing in on 50 I learn something everyday and my old man seems a lot smarter know than he was then.Keep us posted on your landscaping
    or build another oven or something,it would be a shame to see this thread die.

Bill

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

Thanks Bill. I read your harley to oven post-good stuff! There is a lot of learning in this project and very happy with the outcome.

Texman

Leave a comment:

• TxTanner
    replied

Congratulations on the completion of your build out it looks super and I really dig the way it all pulls together.You sure do have a good eye for this stuff.

Bill
    Last edited by TxTanner; 08-02-2013, 08:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

dj

just a normal summer, for a change. We are at 3700 ft elevation here so low humidity and cool nights and hot days, but always a breeze or windy as heck. It has actually rained a little and is usually mid 90s for high and high 60s for lows. So not anything like south texas.

Tracy

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

I was thinking more about the weather in Amarillo in June! I lived in Houston for a year. It was ungodly hot there. I wouldn't want to be anywhere near a WFO for about 5 months out of the year there.

450 two days after a fire is really good heat retention.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

DJ
    the outside of the stucco is ambient temp, maybe a few extra. That thing was still at 450f after 48 hours on the door thermometer. The steel door just radiates heat out i think though. But still that is really good retention i am thinking also considering that i cooked twice in it during those 48 hours after the initial fire. I will get some accurate numbers next firing to get a true picture of the performance. Your oven turned out great.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Nice to see you getting cooking in that thing! What I want to know is how hot is it outside the oven?

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

Hey Russell
    man, i started a big landscape remodel for front and back. Been playing in the dirt way too much. Moving sprinklers, lots of concrete, brick walls, etc. I still need to finish the pergola too. My son graduated from high school, so have been busy with that too.

I am looking forward to the shingles on the dome. That is so cool and i kinda wish i would have tried that. But Good to be done with that as well.
    Tracy

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Hey Tex,

Where ya been? Door and set up look great. Me, I am still plugging away on the finishing. Some truth that when the ovens get functional the finish work seems to drag on. Laid out the centerlines on the dome for my shingles and installed my vent in my dome but now working on a pergola adj. to my oven. But nothing like your set up.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

I finally have a Door! Two actually, an insulated and a "smoker door" I haven't taken a pic of the smoker door yet. The insulted is 3/16" steel with fb board insulation. it is HEAVY though. I think it needs a layer of wood to hold more heat because the whole thing heats to oven temp of course. Which brings my question: The combustion temp of Dry oak is 900deg F. So the oven door and temp read about 650 with a cleared dome, so i am thinking that oak will work and especially on the handles. I melted my old oven mitts handling the door last firing.
    I also purchased tools from our host got the nifty fireplace tool with blow tube built in.
    I actually finally cooked on the actual oven floor, not a cookie sheet since i had real pizza tools. Very cool. burned the bottom of the crust though. Floor was about 760f dome 970f ish. Too hot i guess. Pizza cooked in about 30-40 seconds. I should probably wet mop and cool the floor a little bit. It is so cool to see the dome clear for the first time. Anyway just some rambling of the fun of learning how to use what all the hard work produced.
    Tracy

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
    My family prefers King Arthur (brand was chosen because its available and texassourdough uses it) all purpose flour because the dough is softer and isn't as tough while chewing. I've been mixing dough a bit longer to improve extensibility, still low on the learning curve. How long are you mixing with your KA?
    Two minutes to incorporate the water then I let it sit for about 15 minutes, I then add salt and oil and mix for another 2 minutes.

I do a few stretch and folds in bulk over the next 48 hours. And form the balls at about 12 hours before use. Still playing with time and temp not sure if I am doing things right yet but having a lot of fun with dough.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• CoyoteVB
    replied

Wow. Great job!

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Originally posted by Lburou View Post
    I have the book, it is excellent! Wish I'd known about the online availability.
    I have the book too, and think it very good. The only version is only the first couple chapters - but it's a really useful bit.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X