• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lburou
    replied
    Re: Texman Build

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    Tracy -
    I posted this in another thread too - there is a chapter in The Art of Wood Fired Cooking on oven heat management. I found it super helpful in terms of how to get the oven to pizza (and other cooking) temps. Best thing is, Google Reader has a free online version!

The Art of Wood-Fired Cooking - Andrea Mugnaini - Google Books
    I have the book, it is excellent! Wish I'd known about the online availability.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

Tracy -
    I posted this in another thread too - there is a chapter in The Art of Wood Fired Cooking on oven heat management. I found it super helpful in terms of how to get the oven to pizza (and other cooking) temps. Best thing is, Google Reader has a free online version!

The Art of Wood-Fired Cooking - Andrea Mugnaini - Google Books

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied

Originally posted by mrchipster View Post
    -snip-
    I have started to try a little less bread flour ... More all purpose to get a less springy dough, the high protein fights back a lot. -snip-

Chip
    My family prefers King Arthur (brand was chosen because its available and texassourdough uses it) all purpose flour because the dough is softer and isn't as tough while chewing. I've been mixing dough a bit longer to improve extensibility, still low on the learning curve. How long are you mixing with your KA?

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
    takes me about 1.5 hours and 7-8 pieces of wood to get mine hot

On the dough, I sometimes use the dough blade in my food processor, but prefer the "stretch and fold" method.
    About the same time and wood for me.

I use the mixer kitchenaid classic 4.5 quart with dough hook to get the initial mix done and then do a few stretch and fold a few times over the 48 hr bulk cold ferment in the fridge.

I have started to try a little less bread flour ... More all purpose to get a less springy dough, the high protein fights back a lot. Great for a NY style but trying of or something with a little more of a cracker crust.

I like the idea of putting the door on to equalize the oven, I will try that on my next cook.

Chip
    Last edited by mrchipster; 04-02-2013, 06:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied

Three years? Wow, that went fast

There is always something to learn, or relearn, with these ovens. I'm guessing that the floor might get hotter (in relation to the dome temp) as the moisture finally gets out of every little cranny of your oven.

When I have more than about 100 degrees difference between the dome and floor temps, its usually after a wet couple weeks outside without firing the oven. There are advantages to cooking at the cooler temps, mainly producing less burned flour on the bottom side.

Someone here wrote along time ago how they closed the oven door after heating to 'equalize' the dome/floor temps for 30-45 minutes, shooting for about 100 degrees difference. When I don't do that 'equalizing' I regret it one way or another.

Awesome to see you and your family enjoying your masterpiece!!!

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

One more comment on tools for the oven. I highly recommend this f/b peelThe Ultimate Pizza Peel 16" :: Pizza Peels & Oven Tools :: Forno Bravo Store
    We (and our rookie guests) make bases on our granite counter in the house and then transfer to these flexible plastic cutting sheets.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	2013-04-01 23.57.44.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	528.5 KB
ID:	293678
    We then have a station for sauce and another for toppings; then out to the landing next to the oven. The key to minimize frustration and speed at the oven (therefore up to 4 pies in at a time) is LOTS of Semolina. I have the guests apply a liberal amount before placing the bases on the transfer sheets from a shaker can (we post a photo of what a proper amount looks like) and I keep a cookie sheet with semolina next to the oven. The transfer sheets are easily tipped to slide the pie onto the peel and THE HOLES IN THE PEEL allow one to discard excess semolina with a small back and forth shake before placing in the oven (over the cookie sheet). If the peel gets a little sauce on it - a rub in the oven side Semolina dries it out quickly between pies.
    We have a dozen or so of the transfer sheets. My wife found a great way to stand them up to dry after washing using the "grass" fingers as in the photo.

Leave a comment:

• dvm
    replied

How long do you guys normally take to heat the dome and how much wood?
    I think you will find that you can cook pizza at almost any (high) temperature. I like to cook pizza with the floor at about 700 F (as measures with the laser thermometer on the surface - not the buried K-wire); the cooler it is the longer it takes (and the more topping you can use per pie). I have gotten the floor hotter but if you drink beer like I do while cooking, bad thinks can happen in a few seconds above 750 F. I find that how many Pies I can cook at 700 depends on how Much Heat I have saturated into the oven before starting. On a recent weekend I fired the oven for 3 hours before cooking 40 pizzas. I used a lot of wood with the coals spread over the whole floor. Before cooking I shoveled out 3/4 of the coals into a pail with a tight lid (the larger pieces burn great another day). I banked the remaining coals and put one piece of wood on to flame - I replace this once and in 60 minutes finished the 40 pies with the final floor temp around 650 (no beer). Without a live log, my oven floor quickly goes to 600 F. I think this may improve once I quit working with water (recently grinding my cement landing) around the oven and the floor becomes bone dry. With the insulated door in place the oven loses about 125 degrees per day.

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

takes me about 1.5 hours and 7-8 pieces of wood to get mine hot

On the dough, I sometimes use the dough blade in my food processor, but prefer the "stretch and fold" method.

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

Chip

I am using a roughly butchered version of your dough recipe. I got a late start last night and i agree, i don't think the dome was saturated. This is the hottest i have had it yet, though.

How long do you guys normally take to heat the dome and how much wood?

need the door and some tools definitely, oh, and learn how to make dough.

Any advice on whether to use a mixer or do by hand?

Tracy

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Simply Beautiful....

Your oven will hold heat longer once you have had a big party and longer fire, your brick where not probably saturated fully with heat and you can expect 700+ the next morning with full saturation and a good door.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• texman
    replied

Thanks for all the complements! I am so glad to have this kitchen done. Nate-glad to hear from you and keep on truckin' on that kitchen. Remind your wife that this kitchen was a 3 year project I hope she has a lot of patience and you have a strong back. I would recommend the roof, it really opens up a lot of options; hopefully i can help along the way.

I actually made pizza last night, (or something that resembles pizza anyway) I do not have any tools yet, but made do. I had to cook the pizza on aluminum pans because i couldn't figure out how to get my sticky dough off of the pan without a peel and we were out of flour. Oh well, pizza was good! Especially the pepperoni-pineapple-jalepeno.

I made the kitchen island yesterday from Lowes stock Aspen and poplar. Needs paint and stain, so i covered with the old towel so we could use it last nite.

Dome mostly cleared with 4 logs of oak in about an hour and a half. Dome 915, floor 520 when we started cooking. Temps were 425 this morning with an ill fitting plywood door overnite.

I rolled the dough using a roller and then loaded the pies right there on the pan. That is when i discovered that the pies were not leaving the pan until cooked. I made the dough about the same time i started the fire. I did it all wrong but it was still very tasty and i learned lots in a hurry.

Now i remember why i started this kitchen, good times!

Tracy

Leave a comment:

• Lburou
    replied

Originally posted by Pompeii Nate View Post
    Tracy,

Gorgeous results. I made the mistake of showing my wife your outdoor kitchen and guess what she wants ours to look like now. No chance since my oven base is 40 feet from our house.

Like I said, you have a gorgeous outdoor kitchen. Great Job!!!

Nate
    No two ways about it.....I'm deeply envious of your masterpiece! Well done.

Leave a comment:

• Pompeii Nate
    replied

Tracy,

Gorgeous results. I made the mistake of showing my wife your outdoor kitchen and guess what she wants ours to look like now. No chance since my oven base is 40 feet from our house.

Like I said, you have a gorgeous outdoor kitchen. Great Job!!!

Nate

Leave a comment:

• mrchipster
    replied

Originally posted by texman View Post
    Thanks Tom.

I used the "work triangle" in the plan. i am still considering adding a small butcher block island. I is 84" across, so if i leave 36" of space on either side, i only have room for a 12" island, but i think i could cheat to a 16" island and have 34" of walkway. I need to get some "real" peels and pizza tools working in there. I have not even cooked a pizza yet. Been too busy and very new to dough making. So much to learn, but really looking forward to that part.

Tracy
    How about putting your island on heavy duty casters and then you could put it where needed. I could see using it just outboard of the oven as a cutting or prep table when in pizza party mode.

Chip

Leave a comment:

• deejayoh
    replied

You need to get going on that Pizza Makin'!

If you are looking for a place to start with dough, I recommend this dough recipe from America's Test Kitchen/Cooks Illustrated as an easy introduction that uses IDY. It turns out consistently well, and is my "go to" recipe when I don't have time to start with Sourdough.

America's Test Kitchen Thin-Crust Pizza Recipe - Food.com - 472204

Leave a comment:

Working...
X