Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Texman Build

Amac,
    My wife doesn't think she likes the igloo and i know nothing about stucco. You would think that i would be past any intimidation of building products at this point. I haven't had the time to show her some pics of those yet. When i started this, i thought the enclosure was better because you could insulate more and hold the heat better, but i know when done correctly the igloo is an efficient choice as well. Still undecided...

I was looking at your vent. I really like it. is the draw ok? I am glad to be thinking about something besides the dome. Thanks for your help and checking in. I appreciate it.
    Tracy
    Last edited by texman; 07-02-2012, 08:34 AM. Reason: comment
    Texman Kitchen
    http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/t...ild-17324.html

Comment

Great finale, nice layout in final courses and plug. I see the math paid off.
      Russell
      Google Photo Album [https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...JneXVXc3hVNHd3/]

Comment

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
        Great finale, nice layout in final courses and plug. I see the math paid off.
        The math helped, i would say. I still had to cut a "custom" brick to close. In hindsight, i think that doing the math and getting uniform bricks, and then "custom cuts" is the way i would go. The math assumes a perfect circle or at least uniform size bricks in the previous course. I don't know how to calculate that imperfection. Just glad the dome is finished. Hopefully no nightmares of a dome in pieces. That was a lot of work.
        Thank you for the compliment. Your build looks great, keep up the good work.
        Tracy
        Last edited by texman; 07-02-2012, 07:56 AM. Reason: add text
        Texman Kitchen

Comment

Looking at chimney pipe. They make a 7" which feels about right for this oven.
          Also, there is single, double and triple wall? Any thoughts on which to use? i would think at least double for me, since it passes through a ceiling. But what about triple? Overkill?
          FB plans say "Flue sizing depends on such local conditions as prevailing
          wind, height of chimney, proximity of taller, nearby
          structures, etc. A good rule of thumb is to choose a flue that
          has an area of about 3-4 times the door height. Depending
          on what is nearby, you may need a taller chimney."
          My door height is 12", so an area of 36-48 sq inches looks like. That seems small, only say 12"x4". Is that the size of the bottom of the flue and then it channels to the actual opening at top?
          More decisions.
          Last edited by texman; 07-02-2012, 09:00 AM. Reason: more ?
          Texman Kitchen

Comment

Congratulations on the dome closure Tracy! It looks very nice. I hope to be there someday.......
            Album https://plus.google.com/photos/10154...CKP9op6ilID7eA

Comment

The build is looking great Tracey,
              I'd go with the triplewall since it is attached to your home. It might even be a building code or insurance requirement.
              Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

Tracy - that looks fantastic! You should be really, really pleased with how well that came out.

On the height thing, I think it's inevitable when using an IT. It's just math. The oven height will be the length of the IT + the distance of the pivot from the floor. So I am guessing you had a 18 3/4" long IT with a pivot that was 3/4" from the floor. How am I doing so far?

On the flue - 7" sounds right to me. I went with 8" on a 39" oven. Given the height of your chimney, you'll have some sticker shock when it comes to buying the vent pipe. I had the best luck buying from build.com. Free shipping and 5% off coupon.

On the vent opening, mine was 5.5" x 10" into an 8" flue. 4" x 12 would probably work for you - but the tricky part is maintaining the area while turning that rectangle into a circle. Think about how you'll make that happen. You might want to go 5 x 10.
                Last edited by deejayoh; 07-02-2012, 12:35 PM. Reason: make it sound like english
                My build progress
                My WFO Journal on Facebook
                My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

I was looking at your vent. I really like it. is the draw ok? I am glad to be thinking about something besides the dome.
                  At start up there is smoke - but sporadic - seems like a windy day affects it. Having said that almost every (fine) day is a windy day here. When the fire is well lit there is no smoke and it draws really well. I copied the idea from Sharkey but he had 12" long bricks which meant he could make the vent deeper - like 6" or so. I made mine 1/2 a 9" brick which makes the vent narrow. I couldn't figure, or buy, a flue to fit so I made a flue from scrap copper, to fit the vent I have. I am posting a few pics over on my own thread today, which shows my first attempt at stucco and the chimney.
                  To do that vent you should taper the vent arch bricks and after about 4 bricks up on each side I cut the tapered bricks in half and one half continues the arch. The other half are turned over and it starts an S shape. Just keep building until it flattens - you might need to skim some off to get it flat at the top. You might find that 4.5" is too narrow for your vent, but I think I would do exactly the same if I was doing another dome.
                  Amac
                  Link to my WFO build

Comment

Originally posted by deejayoh View Post
                    Tracy - that looks fantastic! You should be really, really pleased with how well that came out. Thanks! After doing it twice, no doubt. Only regrets, so far, are the potato chips as Tscar called them. Oh well.

On the height thing, I think it's inevitable when using an IT. It's just math. The oven height will be the length of the IT + the distance of the pivot from the floor. So I am guessing you had a 18 3/4" long IT with a pivot that was 3/4" from the floor. How am I doing so far? right on. before i started, i drew the offset and thought it would cause the dome to be slightly lower because of offset. I think it might have, but at the last 2-3 courses i followed the curve of dome and didn't use the IT.

On the flue - 7" sounds right to me. I went with 8" on a 39" oven. Given the height of your chimney, you'll have some sticker shock when it comes to buying the vent pipe. I had the best luck buying from build.com. Free shipping and 5% off coupon. no kiddin' (holy cow)

On the vent opening, mine was 5.5" x 10" into an 8" flue. 4" x 12 would probably work for you - but the tricky part is maintaining the area while turning that rectangle into a circle. Think about how you'll make that happen. You might want to go 5 x 10.
                    the base plate for a 7" duratech triple wall is 12" x 12". I was thinking my depth of the vent should be at least the same as interior pipe, so 7", which would be a 7"deep x 12" wide and require a brick and a 1/2. But as i read around, that doesnt seem to hold true. But, how do go from say a 5" depth to a 7" pipe opening? I have looked at Aidan, sharky, Karangi, ken's kentucky, Tu dat, Yours, and many more. (probably should be working) Anyway, i will keep looking trying to understand that part. I saw you mention somewhere about builders making a transition to the bigger pipe when the depth of the vent is less than the pipe. Do you concave the brick to pipe size? Can you explain that?
                    Tracy
                    Attached Files
                    Texman Kitchen

Comment

This may be a crazy way to show it - but here's how I did it. Think of the top shape as being square, not round. You can fill in the corners with brick triangles once you get it to a square shape.

What I did was to narrow the long sides of my vent from 10.5 inches to the 8 inches using the first course of bricks. Then I broadened the short side from 5.5 inches to 8 inches on the next. Then I went in with a grinder and smoothed everything out to make it more even.

To finish it, I put a cap of splits on that was cut to a round shape and screwed the anchor plate to that
                      My build progress
                      My WFO Journal on Facebook
                      My dome spreadsheet calculator

Comment

That really helps, Thanks! The fog is clearing a bit.
                        Texman Kitchen

Comment

Tracy,
                          Dejayoh has the right idea. But if you really want to have some fun and make that wet saw pay for itself, step in and step out on the same row at the same time. You will get to the 8"X8" ID 12"X12" OD in half the courses.
                          Going back to a pic from my build you will see how I cut a slope on my flu brick.

You can use this method to cut the inside slope for your flu transition laying your brick flat (as opposed to how I layed mine). You should not need to cut the outside slope as it will be needed on the step-outs.
                          Here is a sketch drawn representing 8"X4" firebrick (what I used for the chimney) it may have to be adjusted for your size brick. But the idea is the same.

Note: Have to post before finished (lightning approaching) will edit......... Sorry about that I live in the piney woods. If the wind blows to hard or lightning is in the area I can loose a quarter hour of writing.

You will have to pay close attention to the bonds and will have to scribe your inside corner cuts but I believe that it can be done in 3 or maybe 4 rows and will yield a smooth transition.

This pic is of what I did laying the brick on edge yours should be layed flat and with not near as much slope.
                          I'm not giving you an easy fix, just a fun one .
                          Last edited by Gulf; 07-02-2012, 05:40 PM.
                          Joe Watson " A year from now, you will wish that you had started today" My Build Album / My Build

Comment

I'm not giving you an easy fix, just a fun one .
                            Gulf
                            Thanks for giving me a headache. The Queen is worthy of her title, no doubt.
                            I am trying to draw out the transition. I think i know what i want to do. It is a Sharkey, karangi, aiden and gulf hybrid.
                            I started cutting the outer dome bricks, see pic. I keep looking at entrance of my oven and wondering, "what am i going to do there?" I have been putting it off and focused on the dome. I have to figure something out there. It would help if i knew what i wanted it to look like.
                            I am trying to get some stainless and do a heat break and considering the break between inner arch and outer arch. I cut my floor for the heat break about 6" past the inner arch, and i think i am stuck with that, which is ok i think. I need some ideas on corner build entry.
                            Texman Kitchen

Comment

It looks like you have a shallow entry (like mine) and also the inner arch protrudes just an inch or so - also like mine. This meant for me that I needed to cut a brick (or two) for the back of the vent which was rounded to sit on the inner arch top and at the same time slightly concave to sit also on the front of the dome. This complexity is partly the reason I decided not to try to heat break between the inner arch and the vent. It doesn't mean you can't do it though.
                              Edit
                              I found some pic of that brick - it was just one - looks like i sliced it in half first and then did the curve and the concave cutting. In hindsight two would have been better I had to cut two complicated wedges for either end later anyway.
                              Last edited by Amac; 07-03-2012, 01:07 PM.
                              Amac
                              Link to my WFO build

Comment

Originally posted by texman View Post
                                I started cutting the outer dome bricks, see pic. I keep looking at entrance of my oven and wondering, "what am i going to do there?" I have been putting it off and focused on the dome. I have to figure something out there. It would help if i knew what i wanted it to look like...... I need some ideas on corner build entry.
                                I did not take into account for the face. I don't think you will want to step out past the face of your outer arch. It sounds like you will end up even in the front to start with. (based on a 9" brick leaving a 5" opening) I am assuming you will finish with a 2" wide arch brick front and back for the opening.

I think all of your stepping out will have to be to the rear. The concept is still the same, Though, the front of your smoke chamber would be straight up and only the sides and back would slope.

That's only 2 more Tylenol .
                                Last edited by Gulf; 07-03-2012, 03:50 PM. Reason: grammar

Comment

Working...
                                X