X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UtahBeehiver
    replied
    Re: Wood Fired Beehive in Utah

Hope I am not over doing my progress reports or boring people on the cladding. Reached abt the halfway point on the dome and started the transition from the dome to the entry. Fellow WFOer DeeJayoh (for those who don't know DJ, he is the developer of the "Dome Calculator") from Seattle is in town and dropping by tonight to see the copper in person.

Leave a comment:

• mikku
    replied

I thought that might be the case, the copper might be too thick! Aluminum needs to be scored once, bent upward, bent downward then ripped like paper--but it makes a nice straight cut. It is possible to do this with 10' sections of coil stock when fabricating with aluminum--maybe not the case with copper.

The thought of the rain channel being part of the shingle--idea is: you have to transition at the intersection between dome and entrance--that is a line. You can make a bend along that line--then extend the piece onto the dome to connect with the course of the shingle and interlock--same as you do with the starter course. Wish I was doing the same thing right now...good time to develop metal working skills.

I don't think anything is above your pay grade! You tackle each issue head on and make solutions. I really enjoy watching the work that you do! Keep up the good work Russell.. all of the forum is watching with a lot of interest and envy.. great job!

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Mikku,

Tried to score and bend, the copper is just too ductile and won't snap a clean edge. I am getting good with my sheet metal snips. I will look at trying to incorporate rain channel into a shingle but the complex bends may be out of my pay range.
    Last edited by UtahBeehiver; 06-10-2014, 07:36 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Greenman
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver
    Thanks Jon,

Yes I think a lot, I sit on my Homer bucket for a while, go drill a screw or something like that and go sit on my Homer bucket again.
    And IMHO that is how the best creations are produced. Patience, consideration and the thoughtful application of skill (even if it has to be developed) is the recipe for creating good things. Not just ovens either.
    Last edited by Greenman; 06-10-2014, 05:21 AM.

Leave a comment:

• kanoer54
    replied

Russel,
    You have been a Master at every aspect of your build. Absolutely beautiful!!! It is obvious you have given great thought to every detail of your build. Thanks for sharing all your experiences and comments with all the threads. Am looking forward to seeing your final pics.
    jon

Leave a comment:

• mikku
    replied

I can imagine who tricky that might be. On tile roofs here, the rain channel or flashing follows the contour of the valley, it can be done in segments and would have a return bend like all your shingles have. I do not think it is necessary to interlock with shingles though. It is just meant to deflect water away from going under the shingles.

Another thought, you might integrate your rain channel and shingle to be the same. Like your starter course. Each piece could interlock with the shingles as you went up the dome. Will the shingles around the landing be the same or a more simple lap type like horizontal lap siding?

We got a much later start with the tomatoes than any of the group in America. We have harvested broccoli and cauliflower already but the tomatoes are only 5 to 6 inches tall without any flowers yet. We are beginning the rainy season--plants should really take off once the weather gets hot.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Spent the day doing SWMBO chores but managed to cut out the next set of shingles, 14 full and two halfs per course. I am starting to elongate the shingles slowly. No pics today, just boring cut and bend, cut and bend. Going through the masonary drill bits, have four drills out, one for each type of process so I don't have to change bits.

Mikku,

I have started the transition to the entry, at least the rain channel, where the two planes meet. It will be tricky. How are your plants doing?

Leave a comment:

• cobblerdave
    replied

Russel g'day
    You have been around a bit. Its time to change this putting you head in the oven thing.
    You remember as I do the big thing was to stand on your completed dome to prove its strength..... Not this I can do the small spaces thing
    I'm always reminded that a pair of legs hanging out of an opening reminds me of a breach birth..... Sorry if you been through that!
    Regards dave

Leave a comment:

• mikku
    replied

Certainly a work of love!

How are you handling where the dome transitions into the entry? There are some tricky pieces to do there! The further up you go, the more difficult it will be as you approach the top! Yikes, you will need two thinking caps and some nimble fingers to make the top narrow ones.

Looks like you are really getting the hang of it now!

The green patina looks nice over time. I think you will need to wash everything down in the end to get rid of fingerprints and oils left from handling the copper. Those places will age differently. I would go for the bright look, but using Brasso to polish it would take a lot of time, we used to do that for our uniforms --buckles, buttons and such and the metal looked great! Just a matter of personal choice.

When this project is complete, what are your thoughts for future projects? Seems like anything you would attempt would come out great.

Keep up the great work and lots of pictures. They are always interesting to look at and admire!

Leave a comment:

• oasiscdm
    replied

Hey Russell

When you finish. get in feet first, with your head out, get swmbo to take a photo, and you will be the first forno pizzeria turtle,

Seriously, that will look brilliant. One you weather it, minors will be right.

Leave a comment:

• kbartman
    replied

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    Finished another course of shingles. Neighbors say they have to wear their sunglasses because of the reflections. No pizza for them. LOL
    Awesome job on the shingles. Looking good, neighbors are just jealous

Leave a comment:

• Gulf
    replied

Looks great! Russell,

Originally posted by UtahBeehiver View Post
    ....... Neighbors say they have to wear their sunglasses because of the reflections. No pizza for them. LOL
    That great looking "aged copper" patina will take care of that, and I think it will drive their property values up also .

Your shingles reminded me of my younger days, when after each storm, we would replace asbestos shingles that were damaged by limb falls. In those days it was important to keep the historic look of the old homes intact.

Click image for larger version

Name:	BELGIUM%20ETERNIT%20Hexogonal%20Shingle.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	304819

I still have a stockpile of asbestos shingles down under the hill. But, there is not much call for them anymore .
    Last edited by Gulf; 06-07-2014, 04:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Finished another course of shingles. Neighbors say they have to wear their sunglasses because of the reflections. No pizza for them. LOL

Leave a comment:

• the_dr_masuess
    replied

Looks sweet Russell! When you going to invite me to a pizza party?

Leave a comment:

• UtahBeehiver
    replied

Colin,

Thx, yes Miracle Grow is basically ammonia nitrate, hence why I will use ammonia. Still a ways off though. Slow but sure on copper. Making cleats and cleats and cleats to fasten the shingles.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X