42" build in Central Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 42" build in Central Texas

And pay extra attention to your seams and flashing, Hardibacker is not recommended for exterior applications, although Texas is among the 21 states they will honor a 10 warranty.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
      Tile or stone will be #1 if you are looking for a traditional look. The tiles are much,much easier than stone....I suggest going that route. Once your sheathing is on your framing will be enough to support the weight.
      Yeah, Ive got 3/4 treated plywood ready to go up there regardless, but rain coming today and I still need to dump Perlite in the cavity. Im going to let a Roofer do this job so I'll be waiting a bit I suspect. My roofer is going to show me Copper, Tile and colored Galvalume.
      My build documentary page:
      https://picasaweb.google.com/1011587...iredOvenBuild#

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

Personally, I think the tile would look cool. I had considered it too, but I have my mind set on a stone roof....been wanting to do one on the last 3 ovens I built, just didn't have the right circumstances.
        Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Im up in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area shooting a NASCAR race and my photog buddy knowing about my build, said there was a great WFO Pizza place 5 mins from his home in Prosper that we HAD to go to. Well, it was great! These guys have 2 ovens built by this guy from Italy: Uno Forno, handmade brick ovens by Stefano Ferrara. and they are certified by some group in Naples.
          It's called Pizzaria Testa: Pizzeria Testa

The Pizza was supurb but, I will say after looking at photos of the way they build thier Ovens, the Pompeii's we are building here have to be as good or better than the ones from the Italian builders. They have brick seams lining up 3 in a row and 1/2" mortar joints. Are we over-building or are they under-building??? Hard to believe they are under building....
          Last edited by GarnerAC; 11-07-2013, 05:43 PM. Reason: typo

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

It took 12 big bags of Perlite to fill up the structure. Also got the Granite mounted today. It was a bit of a challenge to get the SS channel in and an 1/8" slope but it came out perfect!
            Brick and roof are about all thats lefts. Thinking about what I want to do on a door. I still have several sheets of 1" ceramic board. Going to do Pizza for my guys this Friday. I havent gotten it up past 600 yet,,, nervous nelly

Click image for larger version

Name:	20131031_153828.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	1,013.7 KB
ID:	302364

Name:	20131108_102934.jpg
Size:	1.19 MB
ID:	302365

Name:	20131108_103315.jpg
Size:	1.14 MB
ID:	302366

Name:	20131109_111204.jpg
Size:	902.5 KB
ID:	302367

Comment

The Italian builders are production builders, the ovens and the methods they use work fine, but they are not built to the same standard of anyone here who builds their own oven. The insulation they use is poor, the biscotti they use is cheap and friable, etc. They do make them pretty with tile though....

Yours is looking great, if you could use an assistant next Friday it would be my pleasure.

Comment

I would love for you to come by and see my setup and maybe cut my learning curve. maybe some advice on brick veneer too . I plan on cooking for the guys around 4-5 on Friday. Its an odd time I know, but I was trying to let them get off at 4 and also make it work out for my bookkeeper (sister) while she is still here. If that timeframe works for you please come! Ill make dough on thursday and planning for about 10 pies. Stopped at Central Market yesterday and grabbed a few things.

Comment

Originally posted by GarnerAC View Post
                  Im up in the Dallas/Ft.Worth area shooting a NASCAR race and my photog buddy knowing about my build, said there was a great WFO Pizza place 5 mins from his home in Prosper that we HAD to go to. Well, it was great! These guys have 2 ovens built by this guy from Italy: Uno Forno, handmade brick ovens by Stefano Ferrara. and they are certified by some group in Naples.
                  It's called Pizzaria Testa: Pizzeria Testa

The Pizza was supurb but, I will say after looking at photos of the way they build thier Ovens, the Pompeii's we are building here have to be as good or better than the ones from the Italian builders. They have brick seams lining up 3 in a row and 1/2" mortar joints. Are we over-building or are they under-building??? Hard to believe they are under building....
                  Gudday
                  Sit down and figure how many hours you have put into this build, and the research . And the bits you have had someone else do. Figure out what you would expect someone to pay you for your ordinary pay.
                  I expect a wow about now ... But sometimes it really not about the money .... It more about the build. You done this yourself for the simple reason , that you could..... Or found you can!
                  And the final results ? Who can really measure the satisfaction you can get from cooking and producing from your oven, long after the satisfaction of looking at your creation.. And saying to yourself ... I built that

Regards dave
                  Measure twice
                  Cut once
                  Fit in position with largest hammer

My Build
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f51/...ild-14444.html
                  My Door
                  http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f28/...ock-17190.html

Comment

Craftsmanship is still alive of course but harder to find these days. I wear a few different hats and one is running an Air Conditioning/Heating company. We see some horrible stuff out there that is sold to people as top quality and at top dollar. The fact is its hard to find employees that will do work as well as YOU would do it. We are blessed to have several employees who take pride in their work this way. They do it like they would do it for themselves, guys doing jobs I dont have to double check. We havent always had that. So many companies in all different trades start out trying to do craftsmanship type work but fail to find and keep Crafts-MEN. I have no doubt that its true in Italy. I feel like my oven will last me as long as Im alive and probably longer and Im sure theirs will too. I was just a little surprised to see their building methods werent as impressive (to me) as what Ive seen here done by some of you guys who havent done anything like this before. Congrats to all of you guys/gals who have done such work!

Comment

and you too GarnerAC!
                      Link to my build
                      http://www.fornobravo.com/forum/f8/4...nia-19904.html

Link to my pictures
                      https://plus.google.com/photos/10871...CPfMh4SMmcnQAQ

Comment

Nice work! The weather where you are must be just about perfect for outdoor baking. Take photos of the maiden voyage!

Comment

Craftsmanship is still alive of course but harder to find these days. So many companies in all different trades start out trying to do craftsmanship type work but fail to find and keep Crafts-MEN. I have no doubt that its true in Italy.
                          As a whole, I agree with your point about the lack of craftsmanship. However, the driving force behind modern construction, especially with trades like Masonry, is SPEED & COST..... the proper time needed to train a true craftsman isn't there anymore(for the most part). Also, craftsmanship has all but lost its value on a large scale....to clients, to builders, to anyone looking to get more for less. Because valuing real craftsmanship comes at a cost, and it's worth is seen by precious few. I am speaking from my own personal experience, and for many,many others I have spoken to over the years.

.....I was just a little surprised to see their building methods werent as impressive (to me) as what Ive seen here done by some of you guys who havent done anything like this before.......
                          Until the age of internet, the information needed to build ovens or other masonry structures could only be learned by apprenticing for an accomplished Journeyman or Master Mason and maybe a few books. Nowadays, anyone with aptitude can get information they need to build a good, functional oven, through media and forums like these, which offer the added benefit of mutual encouragement from people that have done it before, sprinkled in with a couple that do it professionally. IMO, The projects on this site are made more impressive because most have never had any training with masonry...it really cool to see.

But, the main between commercial oven builders and hobby builders is simple, and it has been pointed out.....

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
                          The Italian builders are production builders, , the ovens and the methods they use work fine, but they are not built to the same standard of anyone here who builds their own oven..........
                          There is NO WAY a commercial project (or most residential ones for that matter) would accept that it took several months to build an oven. That fact necessitates speed, and you must sacrifice certain building techniques to get that speed....tight angled cutting on every brick for example. But, most of the commercial oven builders ( ones that are considered artisan builders) understand what it takes to build a lasting oven. It is well known that these ovens are getting more use in a month than a lot of builds get in a year or two. So, relatively, there ARE ovens built with craftsmanship in a commercial setting. You see, comparing builders of those commercial ovens to someone that built an oven recreationally, is apples and oranges, because the circumstances under which they are constructed are completely different.

Having said that, I too (commenting on another forum) mentioned how rough the brickwork was in some of the commercial domes I have seen. I do understand the why cutting a million angles on a 60" oven isn't practical, and why they build the way they build. I have an idealistic approach to my own work, that being functional AND highly aesthetic...it is not always practical though, and that is mainly because of the project budget. The mark of experience and craftsmanship is knowing when, how, and why something works or doesn't, and applying best practice whenever possible on any given part of a project.
                          Last edited by stonecutter; 11-11-2013, 04:37 PM.
                          Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Well said Stoner. What do you think it would it cost a retail customer to have one similar to mine built?

BTW, I got a bid back today to do a Copper roof and facia and get ready, sit down, have a drink,,,,,,, $4000.00

Comment

Well said Stoner. What do you think it would it cost a retail customer to have one similar to mine built?

BTW, I got a bid back today to do a Copper roof and facia and get ready, sit down, have a drink,,,,,,, $4000.00
                              Finish it first, I'll have an idea then.

Seriously, I have only a vague idea. It would depend on a bunch of things, starting with the Mason himself. I'll say more than a gas grill to be safe.

That price seems reasonable...I'm not shocked at all. What about the clay tile? I think that works more in line with your vision than a copper roof anyway.
                              Last edited by stonecutter; 11-11-2013, 04:39 PM.
                              Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                                Finish it first, I'll have an idea then.

Seriously, I have only a vague idea. It would depend on a bunch of things, starting with the Mason himself. I'll say more than a gas grill to be safe.

That price seems reasonable...I'm not shocked at all. What about the clay tile? I think that works more in line with your vision than a copper roof anyway.
                                Im having a hard time finding a roofer that is willing to do a job this small. We are booming down here in the Red state of Texas and everyone is busy. I realize copper is high but didnt expect over 2500. Like you said Craftsmanship costs money as it should. Would like to find a gray slate tile. Found some on Craigslist but the guy hasnt returned my call. Need 65 pieces. Not sure what color to do the metal trim. Im getting Eldorado Brick Veneer from Tom's store HERE

Comment

Working...
                                X