Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: 42" build in Central Texas

Originally posted by GarnerAC View Post
    Im having a hard time finding a roofer that is willing to do a job this small. We are booming down here in the Red state of Texas and everyone is busy. I realize copper is high but didnt expect over 2500. Like you said Craftsmanship costs money as it should. Would like to find a gray slate tile. Found some on Craigslist but the guy hasnt returned my call. Need 65 pieces. Not sure what color to do the metal trim. Im getting Eldorado Brick Veneer from Tom's store HERE
    I like that brick veneer, it looks like early American hand-mades I used to see in New England.

Slate is always a great choice too, if you can get reclaimed even better. What kind of metal trim are you doing? Fascia? Dripedge? They didn't have that in ancient Rome you know.
    Old World Stone & Garden

Current WFO build - Dry Stone Base & Gothic Vault

When we build, let us think that we build for ever.
    John Ruskin

Comment

Im having a hard time finding a roofer that is willing to do a job this small. We are booming down here in the Red state of Texas and everyone is busy. I realize copper is high but didnt expect over 2500. Like you said Craftsmanship costs money as it should.
      It is a tad on the high side I would say, the number may have been inflated if everybody is busy. A small job takes the same amount of time to set up, and so a lot of times they can cost you money if you are jamming with regular projects.

That said, I have no idea what is involved in the bid so it's all speculation.
      Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

The engine (oven) on your stand and no fenestration about $3000.00 here in Central Texas.

Edit: By "your stand", I mean not included in the scope of the oven, not YOUR particular stand.

Comment

Originally posted by Tscarborough View Post
          The engine (oven) on your stand and no fenestration about $3000.00 here in Central Texas.

Edit: By "your stand", I mean not included in the scope of the oven, not YOUR particular stand.
          Just to save everybody the trouble: Fenestration
          My build documentary page:
          https://picasaweb.google.com/1011587...iredOvenBuild#

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

$3000 sounds fair maybe even low. I built my oven (dome only) in about 18 days working off and on trying to figure out a new rhythm with angles and bevels, building wood arch supports and templates and aquiring all tools and materials. I can see a "Craftsman" and helper showing up with the proper items and knocking it out in 3-5 days. $1000 in materials $2000 labor/profit/overhead and $300 to Washington. Hope someone is out there making it work.

Topic change,,,,
            Lump Charcoal. I use alot of this stuff in my Green Eggs and in one of my smokers. To my thinking this would work great in my WFO. I can see myself setting a bag in the left side of my oven and lighting the bag with my BIG propane burner and letting it go. Why do I never read about anyone using Lump? I bought 10 bags of Royal Oak at WalMart today for $6 bag.

Avoid at all costs that vile spew you see rotting in oil in screwtop jars. Too lazy to peel fresh? You don't deserve to eat garlic." Bourdain

Comment

It is used to cure, but does not provide enough heat to saturate the oven for cooking. Keep in mind that that dollar value is for the dome only, nothing else around it.

Comment

Hi Garner,

lots of debate on this forum (and others!) on the charcoal versus wood discussion. If I can try and summarize it for you: the case against charcoal is that the localized temperatures are far higher than they are for wood, and that eventually these very high temperatures will start to deteriorate even high quality firebrick.

But, as is always the case, there are arguments on both sides!

I have only ever used wood in my oven so I do not have any first hand experience.

Comment

It is used to cure, but does not provide enough heat to saturate the oven for cooking. Keep in mind that that dollar value is for the dome only, nothing else around it.
                  OK, so no top insulation only under floor insulation if no Perlcrete. Maybe 500-600 in materials.
                  So is it too hot or not hot enough? This stuff burns pretty hot in my BGE, I can cook fast Pizzas at 800.
                  Wood eventually turns to coal so how could it damage it any more that your firewood eventually transformed into lump charcoal?

BTW, LUMP Charcoal, not Briquettes

Comment

You need flame licking the dome, it is the hottest part of the fire, and charcoal is self-insulating to a certain extent (ash). To recharge the floor under heavy use, you rake coals over the floor for a few minutes only, to prevent the ash insulation effect. If you could literally fill the dome with charcoal it would probably work fine to charge the oven, but lacking that, plan on 10 or 12 hours to do what chopped wood does in an hour or 2.

Comment

You need flame licking the dome, it is the hottest part of the fire, and charcoal is self-insulating to a certain extent (ash). To recharge the floor under heavy use, you rake coals over the floor for a few minutes only, to prevent the ash insulation effect. If you could literally fill the dome with charcoal it would probably work fine to charge the oven, but lacking that, plan on 10 or 12 hours to do what chopped wood does in an hour or 2.
                      yeah I guess i see what you are saying, i just need to get this thing fired up and Im sure it will all make sense. Tom, I hope you can come by the house at some point and give it the stamp of approval!
                      Im cooking for the guys friday afternoon and unfortunately gone all day Saturday (race day!) so all that heat energy will get wasted. I was really hoping to cook something else. Maybe there will be enough heat left on Sunday for a Yardbird

Comment

Wont be wasted if you have an insulated door. Or block it up with left over insulation and brick....
                        Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Originally posted by stonecutter View Post
                          Wont be wasted if you have an insulated door. Or block it up with left over insulation and brick....
                          Good idea. I havent built a door yet but thinking about it. Maybe ill cut apiece of Ceramic board that i will eventually use in my door as a temporary door. Was thinking about a water soaked piece of plywood but no. Thanks Stoner

Comment

.... Thanks Stoner
                            I wish I had a dollar every time I've heard that. You're welcome, tin-knocker.
                            Old World Stone & Garden

John Ruskin

Comment

Good idea. I havent built a door yet but thinking about it. Maybe ill cut apiece of Ceramic board that i will eventually use in my door as a temporary door. Was thinking about a water soaked piece of plywood but no. Thanks Stoner
                              GC,
                              I'm using a scrap piece of Hardie board screwed a piece of plywood, does great. Oven temp 325F after Cooking the yard bird on Sunday. I was only using the cement board at first but broke a couple. They become very brittle with the heat. The plywood gives some support. The plywood shows no signs of getting to hot.
                              Plan on throwing some bacon in this morning. Been cooking all week on Sunday's fire. Eventually I get around to a nice insulated door.
                              Last edited by kbartman; 11-13-2013, 05:35 AM.
                              Respectfully,

KB

My build
                              Oven Pics (album under construction)

Comment

Nice arch kbart! As much insulation as I put on this thing it oughta hold heat til Spring! So, maybe I'll build me a temporary insulated door today similar to that and have a bird ready to put in on Sunday AM. It got really cold (33) last night and we'll be swamped today but I'll make time before friday.

Comment

Working...
                                X